BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Connjurus View Post
    And Thousand Sons are clearly the coolest. :P No spikes or tentacles for me. Just lots of dust. And AP:3 goodness.
    I liked them when they were two wounds...
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    I liked them when they were two wounds...
    I still love them for their background. And Ahriman. Especially Ahriman.
    Let the Galaxy burn.

Chaplain

If i ever played a Chaos SM army, i would definetly buy these guys just for the unique style, the suits and theme of them all.
    I like the whole egyptian themes.
    "Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver"

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pyriel View Post
    They were the weak marines that took the quick path.
    Yeah, I wouldn't describe chaos Marines as Marines that now believe in something. Quite the opposite. I'd describe them as Marines who gave into temptation to give up everything they'd fought for and just do what they want.

The specific reasons for their fall are trivial. Ultimately, they were once noble (more or less), but now they're [super]-human trash.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I know the topic has moved a bit but I'll chime in that I'm not really impressed. I'm all for things being edgy but this is just shallow and trashy looking for me. Kinda like a 15 year old making fascist references purely for shock value as in "look at me! look at me! are you offended yet!?". Sorry if thats harsh but just sayin...
    letsagetabitarockin!

Not bad if the artist was about 10 years old, but if the artist was 10... that opens up a host of other issues.
    Our lascannons shall provide illumination to the Emperors word.

There's a lot of rage going around in this thread. The art is interesting in some ways (I like the artists concept of Khornate Troopers), but going through the dudes Deviantart page though he seems to be in dire need of some psychological medical care.

That said, this feels like something I should comment on as well

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Or they just don't respect CSMs, because they rebelled against the Emperor because of daddy issues. And oh yes, they most assuredly did. It's not like most people talk about Renegades when they say CSMs, no, they talk about the legions. And it's the legions that are the most pathetic in my eyes. At least the renegades actually serve chaos for the sake of it rather than just to get back at daddy.

GW stopped letting us play the true servants of chaos back in third edition, but at least they gave Daemons their own codex, so they took a good step forward. Now only if they'd bring in a LatD codex. Ah well, at least I have my daemons-- I have a Chaos army planned out for when I actually have spending money, and I don't have to have a single CSM model.

I couldn't be happier about that prospect. **** CSMs, preferably with an orbital bombardment.

While some of the fluff, especially the newer stuff reads like that, I don't think it applies to all of the Legions, or is how most people see them, or how the Legions would see themselves.

CSM's lost was their inherent feeling of being dangerous even reading about, the dread enemy that lurked in the corners of space that mankind wishes to forget, borne from the Imperium's own failings and excesses at it's creation, something that remains mostly a distant bogeyman, but that will, on very rare and world ending occaisions, make itself known in terrifying displays of galaxy spanning aggression, violence, depravity, suffering and holocaust at the hands of those whose toil and blood built the Imperium and who now seek only to tear it down and erase it from existence.

To me, the Chaos Legions are bitter traitors who fight the Long War purely out of a sense of unquenchable hate and an deep feeling of betrayal, near gods who feel it was *they* who were betrayed and turned on, mere tools to be used and discarded. That's how I see them and what I like. Now this isn't true of all of them, however it is very true of some of the Legions. Look at the Night Lords, Iron Warriors, and Thousand Sons. The Night Lords served a purpose, they inspired terror and obedience through fear. This was accomplished through planned extreme brutality and actions designed specifically to instill terror. While this absolutely horrified some, they were retained until such terror and fear was no longer required, at which point the Night Lords were cast aside and thrown under the proverbial bus for their "crimes". At least that's how they see it, which has some merit.

The Iron Warriors were stretched to a breaking point following stupid orders while other Legions simply disregarded them out of pride and , forcing the Iron Warriors to take up yet more of the slack, having to try to be everywhere at once and being strong nowhere, being stretched to a point where they could no longer fight effectively, their fighting ability, identity, and cohesion began to break while everyone else just went along their merry way. Their problems arent' so much with the Emperor as with everyone else not doing their ******* job and them having to work themselves to death trying to keep everything together. When their homeworld revolts and their view of the universe basically implodes, they finally snap. Anything that is overused and not properly maintained will break, which is exactly what happens here.

The Thousand Sons actively tried to warn the Emperor, to stop Horus and side with the Imperium. It was their method (granted, the only one available) of warning the Emperor that resulted in their plea and warning being ignored and an order being given to destroy them...for attempting to warn the Emperor of treason. Thus left shattered and sundered, their only chance at survival after such gross betrayal was at the side of Horus.

Granted, some Legions do have really "daddy didn't love me enough" background, especially the Word Bearers (them above all others), World Eaters, Black Legion and to some extent the Death Guard (although they also had Nurgle intervene to completely subvert them). But not all. The Emperor's Children really don't fit into either category as their Primarch was subverted and then possessed by a Daemonic entity. The Alpha Legion (if Legion is to be believed...not sure) has some rather more interesting reasons and, at least originally, believed they were doing the Emperor's work according to what they saw as necessary.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345