5 8.47%
  • 4th Edition

8 13.56%
  • 5th Edition

29 49.15%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Adeptus Custodes

Default Which Is the greatest edition of 40k

I'm not sure if this question has been asked yet, and if not why not?

Which was the best edition of 40k?

1st- the Grandaddy of them all- quitte different to the game we know and love today
    2nd- Saw much of what we know today cometogether during the infamous red period
    3RD- Some might say the greatest version of 40k others might say it cost the game its soul.
    4th- for once evolution rather than revolution- is it the over looked middle child between 3rd and 5th?
    5th- The current version- for better or worse.

Got one you love? got one you Loathe? is the past better viewed through rose tinted glasses or do kids today not know what they're missing out on.

I want to see people fighting their corners with strong opinions on all sides- GO!
    More Necromunda please.

Chapter-Master

Well, I've only played 4th and 5th, and 5th is basically an improved 4th, so...
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Ditto...got into it late 4th, so 5th is kinda all i know
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

I have played every edition and Rogue Trader was a completely different game than any other edition. It was more of a role playing game with a Game Master running the game between two people.

I voted 5th. Easily the best edition for the overall health of the game. Best model sculpts, best rules, going back to 2nd edition thickness codices with tons of fluff.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chapter-Master

ive only plaed 4/5 ed but there was some things about 4 that i LOVED (VP kill team ect) and some things have improved about 4th in 5th its hard but i voted 4th
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Veteran-Sergeant

My vote goes with 2nd- I always enjoyed the depth of the game back then, even if it was a bit clunky.

Librarian

5th technically is the best and most balanced rules wise, but if you're talking about what was going on in the 40k universe, 3rd edition was the best. You had all those mini-dexes like Armageddon, Craftworld Eldar, Eye of Terror, Chapter Approved Lists, etc. 40k just felt so personalized, your army was YOUR army. Hadly anyone played the same list. Not to mention the internet hadn't quite turned 40k into the list fu we see today.

Also you had new and exciting books like Tau, Necrons, and Demon Hunters coming out. Stuff wasn't being re-hashed, it was NEW!

I'd honestly have to root for 2d ed, from the various compendiums I've found online. It really exemplified the beer and pretzels mentality, which for me is the main reason to play ANY wargame: Have fun, hang out with buddies. It shouldn't matter too much if things get nuts, because, if people are TRULY playing to enjoy themselves, you'll have fun, win or lose.
    The Krandor 116th Airborne: Flying Arctic Rednecks..IN SPACE!!!
    http://paradoxgaming.intodit.com- Proud seller of time-space disruptions since 2010

First-Captain

I've been playing since RT days as well, and I have to say I had the most fun with 2nd Ed. The most flexibility, and they cared *a lot* about the fluff. Unlike 3rd ed, where you got zilch in the way of fluff with your 'dexes.

5th is a good iteration of the game, but 2nd were the true glory days, IMO.

Chapter-Master

I'll say this, some of you may have rose tinted glasses. In 2nd edition, you never ever saw Transports because they were flying coffins. But why would you need transports when your HQ could quite literally kill your opponent's entire army?

2nd edition was my favorite edition until 5th came about, and I slowly changed my opinion.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast