BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Librarian

I think that's because 40k was intended to be played around 1500pt - 1850pt. I know alot of the older books are geared towards it, although the newer ones aim higher. I straight up don't like 2000pt, the more pieces each army is able to put on the table, the more unbalanced the game becomes, and thus cheese-ing and listing are almost required in competitive tournaments of this points limit.

Abbess Sanctorum

Just based off of the various tournies I've heard about in the US and UK, I'd say fifth edition is geared around 2k points. Older edition books were geared around 1500-1750.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Shas'o

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Just based off of the various tournies I've heard about in the US and UK, I'd say fifth edition is geared around 2k points. Older edition books were geared around 1500-1750.
    I honestly never noticed this before but just looking at the Tau it really shows. Does anyone think that the next round of codex will see armies geared towards 2025-2050?
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

The thing is...past 1000-1500 points, as a student with very little income, 40k's cost just becomes prohibitive.
    The Krandor 116th Airborne: Flying Arctic Rednecks..IN SPACE!!!
    http://paradoxgaming.intodit.com- Proud seller of time-space disruptions since 2010

Shas'o

Quote Originally Posted by Porty1119 View Post
    The thing is...past 1000-1500 points, as a student with very little income, 40k's cost just becomes prohibitive.
    GW should really come up with a scaled down version of 40k for the casual gamers and gamers on budgets, but that's not what they want to push. They want to push supplemental games like spearhead and apocalypse so you buy lots of high priced tanks. That is why I think we are about to start seeing more flyers. I actually think flyers might be able to work on the same board as a regular 40k game if they weren't so big like the valkyrie. Like if they were scaled down quite a bit to represent there high altitude and make there movement seem more to scale. Maybe it could also be away of disrupting deepstrikeing, like shooting drop pods.
    Last edited by JxKxR; 11-12-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Chapter-Master

AT GDUK this year they had several of the armies they use to playtest 40k on show, both for the new edition and for new codicies. All of them were 1500 points, so I can only assume that this is the actual points cost GW are aiming for. The fact that there are so many units you would want to take, and therefore cannot fit into a 1500 point list is simply to encourage different army builds and make the player make some hard choices.

While I know some will say that this means GW wont sell as many models this way compared to gearing the game for 2000 points list, most of the gamers i know have a main list at 1500 points, with at least another 500 points (more commonly arouns 1000 points) of units they can swap and change to create different lists. I don't think GW would be so nieve as to think hobbiests don't do this.

GW doesnt need to make a scaled down version of 40k. Most lists (apart from necrons) work pretty well down to around 500 points, so long as you dont go with crazy tooled up characters/units. Though you do need to play on a smaller board (or for more turns) usually, to get the models closer together.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

People make way to much out of Super Heavies. Had a dread nearly take out a Shadow Sword in one round of shooting, the super heavy was left having to hide as one more pen and it would be dead, my dread died to mass shooting.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by JxKxR View Post
    GW should really come up with a scaled down version of 40k for the casual gamers and gamers on budgets, but that's not what they want to push. They want to push supplemental games like spearhead and apocalypse so you buy lots of high priced tanks.
    They did, and it's still pretty valid.
    40K in 40 Minutes, 40K in a Flask, etc.

And they do; the kill-team game in the Missions book.

You can also just play 500/750/1000/1200 point games with your friends or at your local club; there is nothing in the rules that prohibit smaller games (except a few armies, like 'Crons, get almost no choices).
    Adepticon also runs small games for both 40K and Fantasy, if you need some ground rules.

Remember GW tells you to make up your own rules, and play games the way you want.

Even the expansions can be used in small games, with minor tweaks.
    A 600 point game of Spearhead could be fun (using nothing but vehicles).
    A Space Marine force of a dread, a Predator, a Vindicator and an 'Armoured Formation' Predator; vs. an IG force of an auto-cannon chimera, a devildog, a 'chimeradon' [chimera with battlecannon; for those that don't remember Epic] a Vanquisher and some 'tank hunter formation' sentinals.
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

I see no reason for an additional force slot, none at all. GW can spew out as many expansions with stupid points values as they like, it all leaves me cold, 1500pts is where its at and thats where I'll stay and TBH It aint very often I go that high.

I dont see that being a 40K gamer carries any obligation to spend the GDP of a small country on GW products every year.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    People make way to much out of Super Heavies. Had a dread nearly take out a Shadow Sword in one round of shooting, the super heavy was left having to hide as one more pen and it would be dead, my dread died to mass shooting.
    It's usually not superheavies, so much as it is Titans and/or strength D weapons. A warhound scout with dual turbolasers is very different then facing a baneblade.
    You should also recognize that you got pretty lucky with your shooting, and that if your opponent bothered to fire its very long ranged strength D weapon at you (instead of backing off and hiding it) whatever it hit would have pretty much been removed.

In regards to the main topic, I really don't see a need for additional kinds of slots. Everything fits in pretty well.
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast