BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant
    Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default Tutorial - Building an Army Display Board.

Over the past few days, i have been putting together a display board for my army, for showing of at tournaments etc. I have also charted the creation so i can show you how it was made.

First a parts bit.

• Picture frame (mine was 20 x 14 inchs)
    • PVA glue
    • Basing materials
    • Sand
    • Polystyrene Blocks
    • Clay

Once you have all of that together we can get started.

Firstly, take the back board, and the glass, out of the picture frame. The frame itself put away for later, and the glass can be thrown away. The back board, with a pencil, mark out your army on it, were you will want everything to sit once it is together.

After this bit has done, use some polystyrene blocks and build up the rear part of the display board. This provides a bit of height for your models so that they can be seen over the front models, as well as adding a little bit of definition to the board.

Make sure you test fit your models as you do this bit, i nearly had a situation were my own tanks wouldnt fit next to each other.

Veteran-Sergeant

After the polystyrene has dried. Take out the Clay, and mould if all over the plain back board. This is to provide a more natural looking surface, while adding holes to slot your miniatures into.

Make sure you adhere to the markings you had drawn earlier, this will be the slots you bases fit into.

Once all the clay has been put down, wait for it to dry (if it needs an oven you on your own, i have no idea how the polystyrene will put up with the heat, i used quick airdrying clay and so the wait wasnt very agonizing) Then use PVA glue and sand EVERYTHING down.

Veteran-Sergeant

After this has dryed, cover all open Polystyrene with PVA glue to avoid it melting, and then undercoat it all.

After this it is free to base in the same style as your army. Once bases, put the entire back board back onto the picture frame and fasten it up. This is used as the border. Here is my example.

Veteran-Sergeant

And then to finish of, i will show it all completed, showing of ones army in all its glory.

And with that im off to take it to Leicester Games Convention, Wish me luck!