BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Eldrad with Pathfinders?

Was just flicking through the eldar codex and came up with an idea

What about putting Eldrad with a unit of 10 pathfinders, through their combination of rules, they get a re-rollabke 3+ cover save, re-rolls on failed to hits, and re-rolls on to wound (it doesn't say failed wounds though)

This gives you a great chance of getting several AP1/2 hits, as you get re-rolls to hit (so with your pathfinder, any roll of 5/6 is ap1, and you can re-roll 1/2s so there is a good chance straight away) and then due to the wording of the rules, you can re-roll any to wound roll which isn't a 6 (as wounding a terminor normally won't be much good )

While I can appreciate flamers might be a problem, spreading the unit out in cover, and hopefully through the different levels of a building, you should be fine.

Let me know what you think

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Was just flicking through the eldar codex and came up with an idea

What about putting Eldrad with a unit of 10 pathfinders, through their combination of rules, they get a re-rollabke 3+ cover save, re-rolls on failed to hits, and re-rolls on to wound (it doesn't say failed wounds though)

This gives you a great chance of getting several AP1/2 hits, as you get re-rolls to hit (so with your pathfinder, any roll of 5/6 is ap1, and you can re-roll 1/2s so there is a good chance straight away) and then due to the wording of the rules, you can re-roll any to wound roll which isn't a 6 (as wounding a terminor normally won't be much good )

While I can appreciate flamers might be a problem, spreading the unit out in cover, and hopefully through the different levels of a building, you should be fine.

Let me know what you think
    Personally, I think Eldrad would be better used elsewhere. This isn't a bad idea, honestly, but Pathfinders are expensive and for this to work as you suggest require a really expensive baby sitter.

To make it work, don't get assaulted.

Librarian

The same effect could basically be acheived through weight of fire. Heck if you guide 10x Dire Avengers Bladestorming or 3x War Walkers with Scatter Lasers just with Guide on im sure you would just about kill anything in the game. Eldar are pretty expsensive already, I wouldn't put nearly 500pts into just one unit.

Chapter-Master

I agree that pathfinders aren't quite potent enough to put that many points into.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Actually, it'd be a 2+ rerollable cover save if they're pathfinders instead of rangers. I do agree with what other people are saying, and would additionally caution that you have a very serious problem if anyone gets in range to make an assault on the squad - they will lose combat by enough that Eldrad is running off the table. However, what is potentially interesting is putting the squad inside some cover like a multi-level building, and then putting some scatter laser war walkers next to them, shooting through windows or something to get cover on them too. Guide both squads and doom a target. 2+ rerollable cover is probably overkill already; the other player will shoot at squishier and more dangerous units, and save the pathfinders for when flamers or CC are an option. I'd sooner fortune the war walkers to keep them alive against the heavy weapons fire.

A single flamer or anything getting into assault range is going to junk that unit unfortunately. Fun idea, but not super practical.

the correct tournament build is eldrad with a seer council with fortune and guide and doom hard to stop unless your a space wolf