BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default How do you handle Forgeworld Rules

After all we got a interessting discussion in my local GW supplying Store.

Teh Question appeared after to people tried to set up a game and one of them wanted to use the FW Heavy Gun Drones.

The other player argued he cant play the Drones cause Fw or no official rules distributed by GW.
    The one with the Drones argued that the FW Rules are official cause FW is a part of GW.

My intention was that its polite to ask your opponent if you can use FW rules and to do without when the opponent says no.

So how do you handle it, or can someone give me a passage which clarifies this question.

This hs been a long time debate. There will probably never be a final answer. Because of this, I would tend to take the polite path and ask if my opponent minds.

Chaplain

I would never allow an opponent to use FW rules in a pick-up game, for several reasons, not least of which the fact that they are badly (if at all) playtested, and costed ludicrously.
    Opinions are like aresholes. Get yours outta my face.. MindWar FTW. Bald and Screaming. Couple others...;) Learn something.

To me, the question of "Forge World or not" is too broad. I'm happy to allow my opponents to use any Forge World models that are "40K" scale, which means no gargantuan creatures, no super-heavies, no flyers, no Strength D weapons, and no templates larger than 5" or the 8" teardrop. As long as they meet those requirements and are being used as the book prescribes (i.e., the relevant Imperial Armour book specifies an army and an FoC slot, and my opponent is using that army and using the Forge World model in that FoC slot) I am happy. In my experience most of the units in Imperial Armour are deliberately overpriced. Even for those that aren't (like the XV-84), they're part of the universe as far as I'm concerned, they're at the right scale of game (so my opponent isn't bringing a Lunar-class cruiser to the tabletop in the name of it being "part of the universe"), and I want to play a wargame in the 40K universe. To the extent that it makes my job harder, well, it's a new challenge to explore and overcome.

Brother-Sergeant

Unless a particular tourney makes an exception, FW rules are never allowed in tourneys, so we're just talking about friendly games, right? So why would someone have a problem with FW?

Librarian

i think its ludicrous to claim that all GW units and rules are playtested enough to make them "more legal" than forgeworld gear, that would take years!

forgeworld gear is ALWAYS way too expensive pointswise for what it is. just look at vehicles like the valkyrie and baneblade, they were incredibly expensive pointswise when forgeworld did the rules, then they were updated by GW directly, and became cheap as chips (even though the rules for them actually became much better with the larger templates for baneblade, and the armour increase for the valkyrie)

i would never ever question or complain about my opponent bringing out a forgeworld model for a pick up game, because firstly its pathetic to whine about such trivialities, secondly it'll make the game much cooler, and finally, its going to be expensive for what it can do so theres not much tactical advantage pointswise,

all the rules are already in place to stop people bringing gargantuan creatures, flyers, titans and other superheavies by the simple fact that unless you are playing by the apoc rulebook, there are no rules covering them in the normal rulebook.

but honestly, would you really throw a temper tantrum just because someone brought a salamander scout along with their IG army? i use this example because its a typical one from forgeworld, its a 100point, opentopped, fast. chimera with an autocannon and no troop capacity. chimeras are only 55 points. there would be no tactical advantage by taking a salamander, when you could have taken 2 chimeras (that arent opentopped) for the same price

i agree its much more polite to ask first, and i always would, but i would be shocked if a player actually refused to play against it after they had been asked, and to be honest, i would probably decline to play that game - firstly i'd have to re-do my army list, and secondly i dont think i'd be in the game for the same reasons as the other player - i play for fluff and fun - hence why i love forgeworld stuff.
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Because some people care about their win-loss records in casual games. I have no idea why they do, but they do. If you want to take a Reaver Titan for a casual game against me go ahead. You'll win, but what possible difference does that make to me?

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
    I would never allow an opponent to use FW rules in a pick-up game, for several reasons, not least of which the fact that they are badly (if at all) playtested, and costed ludicrously.
    THANKFULLY! TKE is not the norm for players, otherwise the game would have died years ago.

I have no problem with it at all. Having a load of forgeworld stuff myself, I usually jump at the chance to take it down off the shelf. Who cares if the rules are tested, this is a game and is supposed to be fun.
    "It's rusty 'cause it's dirty." - Goatboy

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoRedPanda View Post
    THANKFULLY! TKE is not the norm for players, otherwise the game would have died years ago.

I have no problem with it at all. Having a load of forgeworld stuff myself, I usually jump at the chance to take it down off the shelf. Who cares if the rules are tested, this is a game and is supposed to be fun.
    Thankfully, that's bollocks.

It's incredibly rude to take FW models without the opponent's consent before hand. Not everything FW has rules for is overpriced, the same 4/5 things get touted as op every time, but that ignores the dozens of other things FW do...that SM Command Rhino is horribly undercosted.

Taking FW without the opponent getting the opportunity to do the same is like writing your own rules, and not telling the opponent. Just don't do it.

You all moaning "I don't care about win/loss in friendly games" makes me lol.

If people didn't care, they wouldn't use FW crap.
    Opinions are like aresholes. Get yours outta my face.. MindWar FTW. Bald and Screaming. Couple others...;) Learn something.

Battle-Brother

I wasnt talking about Tourneys.

Just simple Pick up Games in a local gaming ground.
    There is no complaining about replacement Modells like the venerable and chaos dreads.
    Its about Units you dont find in the Codex like a Prometheus LR or the Tau Heavy Gun Drones.

But ive seen games someone bringing a Baneblade or such thing to a 1250 points game only with the intention to stomp his oponents into the dust af the store.
    K, he didnt find anyone again who wanted to play with him again i heard but thats not the point.

For me its "If it isnt covered in the dex, ask."
    I think its the polite way to have a game.

But after all its something you can set lines and have a fight over.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast