BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluff to Rules

Shas'o

Default Fluff to Rules

When you open up a codex you get the fluff then the rules, and sometimes the fluff doesn't really fit the rules. What first springs to my mind are blood angel devastators. So I want to know which codex missed the mark the worst and which codex hit the nail on the head.

I would say for the best fluff to rules army would be the orks. Get a lot of boys and crazy ramshackle war machines together and run at the enemy fits pretty good i think.

The worst I think would be the tyranids. I don't really like how GW really pushed the big monsters, when I think tyranids I see an endless wave of gaunts with a few big uglys.

So what do you people think?
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

What's wrong with BA Devestators? Blood Angels have always had their blue-headed Devs, I don't see those as a departure from the fluff.

SW lists built around Rune Priests, on the other hand...

Brother-Sergeant

Thousand Sons, Ahriman. Both not even a shadow of how they are described fluff wise.
    Why is it the bad guys are always more interesting?

Brother-Captain

Any single Space Marine. Fluff vs Rules is why the "Movie Marines" were created.

Librarian

Fluff is inconsistent - the rules, by comparison, aren't

A lot of the authors that GW uses show very clear predjudice in their writings for specifc races. Obviously the specific codex writings try to show that particular race as being the best of the best. The books are even worse, Battle for the Abyess being a good example having a handful of World Eaters, Space Wolves, and Ultramarines defeat several chapters worth of Word Bearers. You can find simular examples in other books. Thats not even taking in account what is offical GW canon and what counts as fan fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by JxKxR View Post
    When you open up a codex you get the fluff then the rules, and sometimes the fluff doesn't really fit the rules. What first springs to my mind are blood angel devastators. So I want to know which codex missed the mark the worst and which codex hit the nail on the head.
    Blood Angels only very minorly deviate from the Codex Astartes, have always had their blue helmets, and their devastators are mentioned in some key fluff (there's one story about a group of CSMs charging up a hill at BA devastators, for example).

Anyway. Necrons are the least like their fluff- they're meant to be scary unstopable killing machines.
    http://miteyheroes.blogspot.com/ - My 40k Blog: Adeptus Mechanicus, Imperial Guard Grots, Conversions, Battle Reports and more.

Eldar technology is supposed to be inconceivably advanced, yet our weapons are worse and cost more than the Imperiums. Eldars weakness should be their cost and low numbers, not the fact they aren't very good. Of course it is an older codex so it is to be expected, I'm sure it will be remedied superbly when Jes and Phil work on the next edition.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Eldargal: Given the DE codex - yes. Yes they will.

I still think all the Eldar really need is a bump to WS and BS 5. Unbelievably skilled; made of tissue paper.

Quote Originally Posted by JxKxR View Post
    The worst I think would be the tyranids. I don't really like how GW really pushed the big monsters, when I think tyranids I see an endless wave of gaunts with a few big uglys.

So what do you people think?
    I think the nids book was pretty close to the fluff. Termagaunts are 5 pts. base and you can squad them up to 30...I personally like throwing down bricks of dice, or would do it if I played nids, that means Termaguants with Devourers, a little bit gross. But you're still limited to the FOC right...wait for it, wait for it...NO!

Taking your three squads of Termaguants as troops, that allows for you to make three tervigons troops...that's three new 3-18 model units a turn until they die or crap themselves out. It's a lil' bit stupid, so the endless swarm is NOT gone, but very much still being played. A guy at my shop did it before I deployed. I loved playing him in Annhilation missions.

On the subject of rules to fluff, most of the 5th Ed books are pretty good, some of the 4th ed books like Chaos Space Marines as one of the other guys that commented on your thread stated. That is a Fluff-less book and I honestly can't stand it. I love Alpha Legion, so I'm a little left out.

Good thread by the way...something deffinatly worth discussing.

Battle-Brother

I find it funny that in any Space Marine fluff book, the Imperial Guard are absolutely horrible and run around with their heads cut off: Brothers of the Snake, Soul Drinkers, Kiling Grounds, Courage and Honor, any other book Graham McNeil writes.

Yet when its a Guard book, Guard are actually decent: Gaunt's Ghosts, Last Chancers (even though I despise Gav Thorpe's style), Fifteen Hours.

The only book I've read where the Guard really shines is in Eisenhorn, where they go into the Xeno's world and the Gerundrite Rifle Regiment totally embarasses the Death Watch Space Marines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast