BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8th edition

Default 8th edition

so its been nearly 6 months of 8th editions so what do you think of it? whats good, bad, and the damn right funny of the it. weather from gaming to the way GW and have put the spot light on different types of units
    so what you all think of 8th?

Quote Originally Posted by oldone View Post
    so its been nearly 6 months of 8th editions so what do you think of it? whats good, bad, and the damn right funny of the it. weather from gaming to the way GW and have put the spot light on different types of units
    so what you all think of 8th?
    I love it. Warhammer is played almost on a weekly basis with my group. Plus, it's the edition that got myself and my brother back into wargaming.
    Dark Eldar 4000pts, Eldar 2000pts, Dark Angels 2500pts, Tau 2000pts.

Chaplain

I think it's great. I haven't played that many games though, as 40k still dominates the local area.
    You think running with scissors is dangerous? Try sky diving with them!

Librarian

The changes in the game balance actually got a number of our local players out of the game, while others are super happy that their forces are so much more playable than they once were.

I think we have a Skaven player who thinks the new rules set is just fine, and a Dark Elf player who is too annoyed that he can't take all his bolt throwers to the field.

From here, it looks like a wash.

www.GardenNinja.com

Librarian

This is the first edition I've actually played WHFB, and it's been a lot of fun. I had read last edition's rulebook, but my gaming group wasn't ready to take the plunge yet. 8th coming out provided a good "starting point" for all of us.

Still, though, we don't play very often... maybe once every month or two. Probably pick up more once we're done our 40k campaign, although that likely won't be until next year.

It definitely provides a nice break from 40k... the rules are more divergent than I expected, and the strategies required seem a lot different!

...just need some more square bases... round bases don't rank up very well!

Dreadful. As I am primarily a wood elf player (my other army being Vampire counts) the rules make my army dramatical less effective by means of the double blow of making everyone else more manuverable (thanks to fast reforms) and making a high initiative value next to useless.

I'm also quickly coming to realise that Games Workshop is not even trying to make the game balanced. They just want to make their latest models better than everything else so that more people will buy them. As a student' I'm unlikely to be able to continue with this hobby. Many games I play are pretty much a foregone conclusion with my army wiped out long before the last turn. In fact, as soon as I see my opponent's force line up I can tell I don't stand a chance. I recently bought another £200 worth or so of models which should allow me to play pretty much the optimal army for my list but the game is so unbalanced even this won't challenge even most non-tournament armies.

If GW are going to publish a new edition so frequently then they really need to update the armies as well. They don't even need to publish books, an internet update would do. But as soon as the new edition is released they update not the weakest armies but those that are already strong (high elves). And then they make them even better. I'm seriously considering looking for a different game to play.

All in all, 8th edition made the game far more playable and accessible, especially to new players. Although many complain about the game's new focus on large blocks of troops, I like how it balanced a lot of the armies, and also brought the game a little more in line with real life ancient war strategies. I also really like the changes to monstrous infantry and monsters in general, making them all a lot more effective.

That said, the main problem with the edition is magic. Although it's not as easy for an army to dominate the magic phase, it's gotten incredibly easy for a single spell to determine the outcome of the game. Some of the spells are now just far too powerful, now that you can virtually guarantee that it'll be cast with irresistible force by throwing 6+ dice at it. The main 'problem' spells are Pit of Shades, Purple Sun, Dwellers Below, Infernal Gateway, and the Dreaded 13th spell. Any one of these spells can easily end an army's chances to win, and often as early as turn 2.

I think the solution is just a tweaking of the magic phase, not an overhaul of the edition itself.

Although I don't agree with Frimbleglim's opinion of it being dreadful, I have to admit, Wood Elves really got screwed by the changes. They really need a new army book, and fast.

Funny thing is, my Wood Elves pretty much laid dormant since 5th Edition. Now that I am picking them back up, it plays pretty similarly. I missed the whole wild rider spam and such stage. Just what you are used to I guess.

I havn't used mine since 2005 or so. They are definately weeker when played against competative players. (We are talking 1500pt two hydra dark elf armies with massed crosbows here)

I think it's pretty hilarious that the very first army book for this edition is going to be released about NINE MONTHS after 8th edition dropped.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast