BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 8th edition

Brother-Sergeant

I like some, (probably most if I'm honest), of the changes but it's become Magichammer to a certain degree and I really get ticked off with the rolling of all the weird terrain etc.. at the start of the game - if you could limit some of the magic spells and items, (i.e. dwellers and power scrolls), and go back to normal terrain then I'd be almost as happy as the guy who gets paid to rub suntan lotion onto Rachael Stevens

First-Captain

I dnt think its truely magic hammer, just people go big units and moan when they all die to one spell, either get some wizzards or go msu.
    Poeple need to learn that there is counters now, magic can counter big units.

Sadly I depend on magic being HE player, Havnt got shooting to compete or toughness so need magic.
    For the Greater good.

Brother-Sergeant

You say it's not Magichammer but then say "get some wizards", which to my mind suggests you can't win without Magic, hence Magichammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
    You say it's not Magichammer but then say "get some wizards", which to my mind suggests you can't win without Magic, hence Magichammer.
    That's a retarded statement. You can't win in 40k without shooting units, should you call the game shootinghammer? Magic is an important part of warhammer fantasy and rightly so, as is shooting, as is close combat. Ignore one of those phases at your own risk, but have the brains not to complain about your loss when it inevitably happens.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Nikephoros View Post
    That's a retarded statement. You can't win in 40k without shooting units, should you call the game shootinghammer? Magic is an important part of warhammer fantasy and rightly so, as is shooting, as is close combat. Ignore one of those phases at your own risk, but have the brains not to complain about your loss when it inevitably happens.
    Really, you can't win without shooting, I manage okay playing WoC, as do several other players that I know of and not just with Warriors either

Oh and where am I complaing about losing?

For the record my current record for WHFB 8th edition escalation league is Played 6 won 3, drawn 1, and lost 2. Apart from the league I've played 4 games won 3 and lost 1.

First-Captain

saying take a wizard is just advice for those covinced its magic hammer.

I don't think its magic hammer as magic can all too easily be countered and go wrong.
    Sadly HE rely on magic so I need to use it as much as possible.
    For the Greater good.

Veteran-Sergeant

Really, you can't win without shooting, I manage okay playing WoC, as do several other players that I know of and not just with Warriors either
    Your list may not include shooting units (why you dont use hellcannons is beyond me and besides the point) but I bet you take your opponent's shooting phase into consideration in your planning. My point is you can't just ignore shooting and pretend it doesn't exist anymore than you can ignore magic and pretend it doesn't exist. And if you do ignore those, you do so at your own risk.

Oh and where am I complaing about losing?

For the record my current record for WHFB 8th edition escalation league is Played 6 won 3, drawn 1, and lost 2. Apart from the league I've played 4 games won 3 and lost 1.

He said you can't win in 40k without shooting--pointing out that your Warriors of Chaos army doesn't have any shooting doesn't refute his position at all.

The point is that being forced to participate in a particular element of the game in order to win doesn't mean that that's the only element of the game that's important. You have to move in fantasy in order to win, but you're not calling it "movehammer." You have to kill enemy units to win in fantasy, but you're not calling it "killhammer."

The magic phase used to be participation optional--you could take your two dice, maybe dispel a spell, and suck up the rest because, for the most part, magic just wasn't that devastating.

Now it is, and you're going to have a hard time of it if you don't try to participate in the magic phase--but that doesn't make it "magic-hammer." Frankly, eighth edition just brought magic to the point where it's about as important as the other main mechanics--movement, combat, and shooting, instead of being a funny side-show that only occasionally mattered.

Battle-Brother

Saying it's "magichammer" because someone says bring a wizard is like saying you took the spare tire out of your car because it was heavy and you wanted a better power to weight ratio. You know you're going to need it eventually, but you chose to leave it in the garage collecting dust; its your own fault for leaving it behind.

Sure, some armies are more powerful in the magic phase, but every army has its strengths and weaknesses; plan accordingly.

Battle-Brother

Back on topic:

I actually just started playing WFB in October, but so far I've enjoyed myself. I play High Elves (ASF intriuged me) and have so far won 4, tied 1 and lost 3 games. I have studied both 7th and 8th edition rules and I definitely like the 8th better.
    The main difference I like is the altered magic lores. Also, I believe the percentage based points system makes more sense versus the 7th edition variant.
    One change I have mixed feelings about is the roll for charge distance instead of double normal movement distance.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast