BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8th edition

Battle-Brother

I'd say that for the most part I am very pleased with the changes in 8th edition. Melee combat seems more decisive, shooting is a little more effective. Warmachines have been made worth thier points.
    The only thing that I have a problem with is the % based list building. More specificly the fact that lord level heros may be taken in any sized games. The rest of the % based system is awesome but I feel it's game unbalancing when a player can take a lord level caster in a small points game. I just find it makes for lazy gaming/herohammer.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Frimbleglim View Post
    If GW are going to publish a new edition so frequently then they really need to update the armies as well. They don't even need to publish books, an internet update would do. But as soon as the new edition is released they update not the weakest armies but those that are already strong (high elves). And then they make them even better. I'm seriously considering looking for a different game to play.
    High Elves haven't had an update. The only thing they got given was the pretty pointless "Elite Army" rule rule that allows them to take double the amount of each type of special or rare unit than everyone else. Big whoop. If you're taking 6 units of the same type in any game up to 2999 points they're not going to be much use when (if) they make it to combat.

Overall High Elves took a kicking from the rules changes with there no longer being partials plus step up (the ASF re-rolls are pretty much nullified by this) plus having to take 25% of pretty average, bordering on poor for the points, Core troops.

High elves are not a weak army all the same. Quite the opposite in fact.

8th Edition is the best core rulset for WFB that I have known. It pits armies against each other instead of a band of warriors like 7th. Honestly, I remember playing 7th ed games with fewer models on the table than a game of 40k at the same points. Just absurd.

The one concern I have regarding 8th is how it evolves as new army books are released. I hope, given the quality of the latest codices and army books that they are well balanced and maintain the current feel of the game.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by mikethefish View Post
    I think it's pretty hilarious that the very first army book for this edition is going to be released about NINE MONTHS after 8th edition dropped.
    Good point actually, what's up with that??

I like the changes as an Ogre player, except casting of course, but that's because OK are magically challenged more than anything else... Once the dispel scrolls run out, look out!

Quote Originally Posted by subbeast View Post
    Good point actually, what's up with that??

I like the changes as an Ogre player, except casting of course, but that's because OK are magically challenged more than anything else... Once the dispel scrolls run out, look out!
    Only one dispel scroll per army these days subbeast.

Quote Originally Posted by subbeast View Post
    Good point actually, what's up with that??!
    What's up with that is that 40k makes a ton more money than Fantasy, so GW tends to devote a whole lot more of their time and resources to it - rather than doing what would make more sense and try and push/support Fantasy more so that it looked more attractive to 40k players. But hey, whatever *shrug*

Scout

After 60 or so games I really dislike 8th. I have started playing War Machine.
    I played with four gaming groups in an eighty mile radius. Three of these groups do not play WHFB anymore. Out of five LGS run tournaments four were canceled due to lack of interest and the fifth only had six players show up.At the last con in this area the WHFB attendance was half what it normally was. I have stopped playing 8th because I feel it is a terrible rules set. I have taken up WARMACHINE which I find to be a far superior game system.
    Last edited by Dimetri1; 01-16-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Scout

duplicate post.
    Last edited by Dimetri1; 01-16-2011 at 12:56 PM.

First-Captain

The minuses of new set over old?

The pluses are greater, Los required, making the game easier, comps and counter comps. which means more skill involved in playing
    For the Greater good.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast