BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Incubi Klaivex Conversions

I am now fantically obsessed with incubi. I'm code-naming them "blenders" because they slice and dice, and the longer you leave them at it stuff just turns to goo.

Awesome models, but fairly limited in your options based on the three poses of metal(yuck) figures. I had to have proper klaivexes (klaivi? klaivii?), and the answer stared me in the face after assembling the hellion pictured below.

It still never ceases to amaze me how far Jes Goodwin hit it out of the park with this model line; it might not be obvious at first glance, but you truly can make just about everything out of the kits.

So to start, the pieces of the incubi models are obviously the biggest limiting factor. Because of how the hands are put onto the klaive and most of the arm is on the body, you don't have much to work with cutting the hands out. The arms/klaive below give you the most arm (and thus are the easiest to work with.) Cut as shown and clean the hands up as much as you can. Drilling out the holes is a very delicate process. I started with a 1/32 dremel bit, then 3/64, then finally 1/16 (wiggling it a little bit for some extra room). I held the arm with a pair of pliers for better grip (and because the metal gets hot when you drill it). If you start with too big a hole it can be very hard to get the hole you want and not drill out the wrong part.....starting small I had no problems with it. Incubi pieces prepped.

On the glaive I cut out the piece on the right of the picture first, where the obvious handle ends. I then matched up the blades and cut the smoother part of the shaft at the base even with the other handle, so as to have them the same length.

The smoother handled one slides in like *butta*; the ridged handle might require some finagling, but with a 1/16 hole wiggled around a bit it shouldn't be too much trouble. Once the knives are securely glued into the hands you don't have a huge range of poses, but there is room to explore. Here's the two I made.

Veteran-Sergeant

A fan-TASTIC conversion, relatively simple to do, with amazing results. When I get around to buying my Incubi, I'm going to try and trump this conversion with other blades from the Dark Eldar range, but I hold little hope of beating your conversion. =P

Did you make two Demi-Klaive-wielding Incubi because you're going to have them each leading two different squads of Incubi? It's just that, as far as I'm aware, only the Incubi sergeant can take Demi-Klaives. =(

Veteran-Sergeant

Also, WHY HAS NO-ONE LOOKED AT OR COMMENTED ON THIS?! xS

Chapter-Master

Cos we were all asleep :P

Fantastic job, been thinking how to do his myself for a little while...
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

fantastic realy nice and simple !! these new DEs are great for conversions

@nosmo

i just woke up :P
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chapter-Master

@Nosmo... I think i may still be asleep, but will have a look anyway!

@VulkansApprentice
    Fantastic job, I'm not the most aufait with the DE line yet, though i know what you're saying about Jes's work on them. I wouldn't have thought of using the Helion Blades, but they do look so good with the Incubi. I'd've probably ended up raiding my bitz box for randomly shaped bits of plastic lol.

Just as a quick question; how different are the regular DE warrior arms from those of the Incubi? If you were to cut their arms off at the shoulder, would you be able to use the warrior arms to make even more dynamic poses? Although, from the WD article about the DE release, I guess that isn't quite the point of the Incubi... Just thinking outloud really!

Once again man, great job
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

First-Captain

That's....brilliant.

Beautiful work--and I like that the demiklaves aren't reversed they way Drazhar's are. Icepick/reversed blade-fighting styles are so inefficient when using anything outside of a knife--and then, only if you're in knife-fight range... One of the reasons I hate the Drashar mini of old and hope that he'll get a resculpt.

Battle-Brother

@SotonShades- Yeah, I looked at the warrior arms first, but they're the standard toothpick-thin eldar limbs. The Incubi arms are a little thicker with more exaggerated blades coming off of the forearms to represent their better armor; more halfway between the size of an eldar arm and a marine one, not to mention the jewels I'm going to paint red that will really stand out from the black.(I like the standard color scheme, not going to reinvent it)

@Nosmo75- Yes, I made 2 for 2 squads. I've only played a handful of games so far, but I have yet to have a game where my incubi squad didn't absolutely annihilate anything they looked at. I'm working on a list for 2 squads. Oddly enough, they are far cheaper than many of the deathstar units people in my area are building-for the 900 points people dump into deathstars, I can have two upgraded incubi squads, with raiders and haemonculi for pain tokens, and a tooled-up archon. The only thing I probably wouldn't throw them at is nob bikers or MC's, but anything else is fair game. (They even took down a squad of TWC, though the wolves already had a couple wounds and I was able to get the charge while having 2 pain tokens)

Librarian

Definitely a sweet conversion, man. I was thinking of trying to cut apart one of the Klaives and resculpt it a bit (that exact klaive, actually), but I may use your idea instead!

Either that, or a pair of swords from the Wyche/Warrior kits.

Well executed, man. Pity the arms aren't more poseable, but them's the breaks.

Brother-Sergeant

[QUOTE=SotonShades;110350]@Nosmo... I think i may still be asleep, but will have a look anyway!

@VulkansApprentice
    Fantastic job, I'm not the most aufait with the DE line yet, though i know what you're saying about Jes's work on them. I wouldn't have thought of using the Helion Blades, but they do look so good with the Incubi. I'd've probably ended up raiding my bitz box for randomly shaped bits of plastic lol.

Just as a quick question; how different are the regular DE warrior arms from those of the Incubi? If you were to cut their arms off at the shoulder, would you be able to use the warrior arms to make even more dynamic poses? Although, from the WD article about the DE release, I guess that isn't quite the point of the Incubi... Just thinking outloud really!

Their Arms fit perfectly stay tuned for conversions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast