BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Adeptus Custodes

Default Old Special character food Lols

I heard that Games Workshop used to name its squt characters after cakes, and some chaos characters after curries available at a local curry house. Can anyone confirm this? and give the names
    More Necromunda please.

Veteran-Sergeant

'Ahriman' sounds like a prime candidate for curry ancestry. =P

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Nosmo75 View Post
    'Ahriman' sounds like a prime candidate for curry ancestry. =P
    Sorry. Ahriman is the name of a demon from Zoroastrian mythology. Pretty important one, in fact, he's the one who introduced death to the world.

Although, with some of the curries I've had, there might be a connection after all, some of them could make you wish for death...
    92 Golf: Death From Within
    Any plan where you lose your hat is a bad plan.

Librarian

Chili con Kharne?
    Abbad-curry-hon?
    Lushious the Internal?
    Blackeyed Huron?
    Back after a few years absence. Please PM me any changes to how the forum works - I currently have no idea how to make line breaks, and this is quite important to me. >.>

Librarian

Yeah, that sounds a lot like urban legend.

Most of their names are taken from mythology or classic fiction. Sometimes puns, or phonetic jokes, are used... like Kharne (part of the word Carnage).

Quote Originally Posted by Drew da Destroya View Post
    Yeah, that sounds a lot like urban legend.

Most of their names are taken from mythology or classic fiction. Sometimes puns, or phonetic jokes, are used... like Kharne (part of the word Carnage).
    The orks are the best example of the latter. I.e: Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka. XD

Adeptus Custodes

Gw special characters are full of puns (my favourite being rezephaur frogs or lion 'el Johnson) [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squat_(Warhammer_40,000[/url])

I may have misread it it says planets and characters were named after pop singers and cake manufacterers. I know of Mad Donna Ulanti the necrom unda character but cannot think of any other pop singer or cake manufacturer (mr Kipling?) planet or specail character let alone chaotic curry character (say that one quickly three times)
    More Necromunda please.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Lockark View Post
    The orks are the best example of the latter. I.e: Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka. XD
    I think this one's more urban legend than sneaky joke - Ghazgkhull's name was, IIRC, rolled from on the "random ork name generator" from the old 'Ere We Go book. The "Margaret Thatcher" interpretation's pretty new, from what I've seen, and feels a little too out of sync with the way other tongue-in-cheek names were done at the time.

One surprising wellspring of this kind of comedy is the 3rd Edition rulebook, which is otherwise the touch-off point for all the "grimdark" nonsense of modern 40K. Things like Techmagos Wilhelm Gaytes inventing a "cogitator" that sounds suspiciously like an early-era PC, and all that.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    I think this one's more urban legend than sneaky joke - Ghazgkhull's name was, IIRC, rolled from on the "random ork name generator" from the old 'Ere We Go book. The "Margaret Thatcher" interpretation's pretty new, from what I've seen, and feels a little too out of sync with the way other tongue-in-cheek names were done at the time.
    Not to mention that Thraka sounds absolutely nothing like Thatcher. Heck, Maguruk doesn't sound much like Margaret either.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Yeah i didn't understand what Lockark was trying to get till someone pointed it out as supposedly Margeret....
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast