BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 1500 point IG list with allied DH.

I liked the catachan models and in particular I liked the special characters so I decided to try to design a list that incorporated those three. I also thought that it would be fun to run a Callidus together with Marbo so that required some DH allies. This is the proposed list. Is there some way to make it more competetive without removing the features as described above? In particular I wonder if the grenade launchers are worth their points.

HQ:
    Company command squad
    Straken
    Regimental Standard
    Medic
    2*Plasma Gun
    2*Bodyguard
    Carp Armour
    Comment: Supports (mostly the HWS) with orders, morale, plasma and CC.
    270p

Inquisition lord
    Power weapon
    Close combat weapons
    Psychic Hood
    2*Mystic
    3*Warriors (Veteran Guardsmen)
    3*Plasmaguns
    Comment: Add plasma and protection against psykers, deepstrikers and deamons. Will babysit the artillery. No servitors is there because of mindlock.
    149p

Troops:
    Veteran squad
    3*Grenade Launchers
    Autocannon
    Harker
    Comment: Try to stay in cover near an objective an hold out as good as they can while spraying the enemy with HB, AC and LG shots.
    150p

2*Infantry squad
    Grenade Launcher
    Mortar
    Comment: High AV killer.
    120p

Plutoon command squad
    4*Flamer
    Comment: Counter attack unit.
    55p

Heavy Weapon squad
    3*Lascannon
    105p
    Comment: Destroy vehicles and MC.

Heavy Weapon squad
    3*Autocannon
    75p
    Comment: Destroy light vehicles and MC.

Elites:
    Marbo
    65p
    Comment: Tries to find some nice targets for maximum damage. If Marbo appear near Straken he gains a dangerous charge.
    Callidus Assasin
    120p
    Comment: Tries to find some nice targets for maximum damage. If Callidus appear near Straken it gains a dangerous charge.

Heavy Support:
    Medusa
    Shell
    140p
    Comment: Tank killer or just general killer.
    2*Basilisk
    250p
    Comment: Long range barrage artillery.

=1499p

@Jebbedaya: I'm a huge fan of using Inquisitorial allies in an IG army. They can really add a lot of character to your game. Building Inquisitorial units is pretty precarious, so I recommend keeping them simple.

Here are my comments:

1. I'd consider some Chimeras for this list. They are an amazing deal and extend the life expectancy of your command units. They are also a fantastic vehicle for getting meltaguns where you need them.

1. Straken is a beast, but this unit doesn't really take advantage of his strengths.

2. I recommend dropping the Power Weapon and the CCW on the Inquisitor Lord and adding a Psycannon.

3. Inquisitorial Servitors don't have mindlock, so I'd go with 3 Heavy Bolter Servitors and 2 Mystics.

4. I don't recommend Grenade Launchers in Veteran Squads. You really want to take advantage of their high BS with Meltaguns or Plasma Guns. In any case, this squad could benefit with a Chimera.

5. I'm not a huge fan of songle Mortars in Infantry squads. I'd go with an Autocannon or Lascannon here. The Grenade Launcher is optional; I usually put Meltaguns in my squads because they are so versatile.

6. Don't put flamers in units without transports. They just won't get used. I recommend Plasma Guns and a Chimera for this squad.

7. I think the idea of using Marbo and a Callidus in the same army is fun, but you are sinking lots of points into those two units. I'm worried that they are just too expensive to fit in a 1500pt army.

8. Put the Medusa and the Basilisks in different HS units. The Medusa doesn't have indirect fire (no barrage), so you'll use them differently.

Best of luck and let us know how it plays!

-- mkerr
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Quote Originally Posted by mkerr View Post
    1. I'd consider some Chimeras for this list. They are an amazing deal and extend the life expectancy of your command units. They are also a fantastic vehicle for getting meltaguns where you need them.

1. Straken is a beast, but this unit doesn't really take advantage of his strengths.
    Ok, maybe a Chimera and meltas/plasmas in Strakens group? How would you use him?

2. I recommend dropping the Power Weapon and the CCW on the Inquisitor Lord and adding a Psycannon.
    The Psycannon seems to be very costly. Is it worth the points?

3. Inquisitorial Servitors don't have mindlock, so I'd go with 3 Heavy Bolter Servitors and 2 Mystics.
    Ok, that improves their value of course. But still. A warrior with a plasma gun is 20p. That is 5 points cheaper than the corresponding unit from the IG codex. Furthermore I think that plasmas guns are better than HB. Ok, less range and one less shot but AV2 and s7 makes them very effective against MC, terminators and light vehicles.

4. I don't recommend Grenade Launchers in Veteran Squads. You really want to take advantage of their high BS with Meltaguns or Plasma Guns. In any case, this squad could benefit with a Chimera.
    Harker gives the unit the ability to infiltrate. Furthermore they also have stealth so they are well protected in cover. So the idea is to put them in cover and let them stay there. That means that weapons have to be at least medium ranged. I think that meltas are too short ranged. Grenade launchers with krack grenades have the same AV as the Autocannon and also works well together with Harkers heavy bolter. Plasma guns would probably also be nice but somewhat costly and the risk is high for "get hot" casualties with just flak armour.

5. I'm not a huge fan of songle Mortars in Infantry squads. I'd go with an Autocannon or Lascannon here. The Grenade Launcher is optional; I usually put Meltaguns in my squads because they are so versatile.
    I thought that BC3 would make the mortar a good choice. But perhaps the Autocannon is better here.

6. Don't put flamers in units without transports. They just won't get used. I recommend Plasma Guns and a Chimera for this squad.
    Oki, but BC3 makes plasma guns less effective here. But some kind of transport could be nice.

7. I think the idea of using Marbo and a Callidus in the same army is fun, but you are sinking lots of points into those two units. I'm worried that they are just too expensive to fit in a 1500pt army.
    Could be the case. But I am willing to take the chance.

8. Put the Medusa and the Basilisks in different HS units. The Medusa doesn't have indirect fire (no barrage), so you'll use them differently.
    Sure!

Best of luck and let us know how it plays!

-- mkerr
    Thanks for the comment!

Version 2.0

HQ:
    Company command squad
    Straken
    Medic
    3*Melta guns
    2*Bodyguard
    Carp Armour
    Chimera
    ML
    HF
    Comment: Go tank hunting and CC.
    310p

Inquisition lord
    Power weapon
    Close combat weapons
    Psychic Hood
    2*Mystic
    3*Plasmaguns
    Comment: Add plasma and protection against psykers, deepstrikers and deamons. Will babysit the artillery.
    149p

Troops:
    Veteran squad
    3*Grenade Launchers
    Autocannon
    Harker
    Comment: Try to stay in cover near an objective an hold out as good as they can while spraying the enemy with HB, AC and LG shots.
    150p

2*Infantry squad
    Grenade Launcher
    Autocannon
    Comment: High AV killer.
    130p

Plutoon command squad
    4*Flamer
    Comment: Counter attack unit. May use the venetta to reach the front.
    55p

Fast:
    Venetta
    130p
    Comment: Lascannon gunboat that can be used for transports.

Elites:
    Marbo
    65p
    Comment: Tries to find some nice targets for maximum damage. If Marbo appear near Straken he gains a dangerous charge.
    Callidus Assasin
    120p
    Comment: Tries to find some nice targets for maximum damage. If Callidus appear near Straken it gains a dangerous charge.

Heavy Support:
    Medusa
    Shell
    140p
    2*Basilisk
    250p

=1499p
    Last edited by Jebbedaya; 08-27-2009 at 08:59 AM.

It is also possible to get 4 plasma guns in Strakens group. That would be quite evil since he can remove cover saves with his order and twin link them against MCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebbedaya View Post
    Ok, maybe a Chimera and meltas/plasmas in Strakens group? How would you use him?
    JWolf is the Straken expert. I think he puts him in a squad with a couple of bodyguards and a priest, but I'm not 100% sure. If he doesn't respond, then ping him with a private message.

The Psycannon seems to be very costly. Is it worth the points?
    Oh god, yes. That 30pt piece of wargear can make short work of Fateweaver (and anything else with an invulnerable save). My DH Inquisitor Lord is built like this:

Inquisitor Lord (Psychic Hood, Psycannon)
    Retinue: 1 Sage, 2 Mystics, 3 HB Servitors

It's a rock hard and extremely shooty squad with an unlimited range LD10 psychic hood. What's not to love?

Furthermore I think that plasmas guns are better than HB. Ok, less range and one less shot but AV2 and s7 makes them very effective against MC, terminators and light vehicles.
    It just depends on what you do with the unit. I put it in a solid piece of cover in my backfield (near a plasma cannon unit or demolisher to deter deep strikers) and shut down psykers. They are probably my most survivable and reliable units.

I thought that BC3 would make the mortar a good choice. But perhaps the Autocannon is better here.
    Autocannons are awesome.

Oki, but BC3 makes plasma guns less effective here. But some kind of transport could be nice.
    The default platoon command squads around here are triple Plasma Guns or triple Meltaguns in Chimeras. It's just another unit that can pile on high Strength, low AP shots.

Enjoy!
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Brother-Sergeant

Harker gives the unit the ability to infiltrate. Furthermore they also have stealth so they are well protected in cover. So the idea is to put them in cover and let them stay there. That means that weapons have to be at least medium ranged. I think that meltas are too short ranged. Grenade launchers with krack grenades have the same AV as the Autocannon and also works well together with Harkers heavy bolter. Plasma guns would probably also be nice but somewhat costly and the risk is high for "get hot" casualties with just flak armour.
    Have you considered Sniper Rifles instead of GLs? If this is going to be a static unit in cover, they complement Harker's Hvy Bolter well & you still have the AC for anti-light vehicle. i'm just not a big fan of GLs in Vet units......

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorEvil View Post
    Have you considered Sniper Rifles instead of GLs? If this is going to be a static unit in cover, they complement Harker's Hvy Bolter well & you still have the AC for anti-light vehicle. i'm just not a big fan of GLs in Vet units......
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Version 3.0

HQ:
    Company command squad
    Straken
    4*Plasma guns
    2*Bodyguard
    Carp Armour
    Chimera
    ML
    HF
    Comment: Nice medium ranged and close combat unit. Straken can destroy any vehicle in CC. You don't want to have your terminator squad close to this unit since any units not killed by the plasmas will be killed by Straken.
    310p

Inquisition lord
    Power weapon
    Close combat weapons
    Psychic Hood
    2*Mystic
    3*Plasmaguns
    Comment: Add plasma and protection against psykers, deepstrikers and deamons. Will babysit the artillery.
    149p

Troops:
    Veteran squad
    3*Snipers
    Autocannon
    Harker
    Comment: Try to stay in cover near an objective an hold out as good as they can..
    150p

2*Infantry squad
    Grenade Launcher
    Autocannon
    Comment: High AV killer. May also destroy light vehicles.
    130p

Plutoon command squad
    2*Grenade Launcher
    Autocannon
    Comment: High AV killer. May also destroy light vehicles.
    55p

Fast:
    Venetta
    130p
    Comment: Lascannon gunboat that can be used for transports.

Elites:
    Marbo
    65p
    Callidus Assasin
    120p

Heavy Support:
    Medusa
    Shell
    140p
    2*Basilisk
    250p

=1499p

Plasma guns or melta guns in Strakens group?

I think that I got lots of AT power in the vendetta, medusa, the two basilisk, Marbo and Strakens hand to hand combat but some more could perhaps not hurt? And then you don't have to fear "gets hot". On the other hand 4 plasma guns with bring it down and/or shoot at my target would be fun.