BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 62 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Ah, no, I see the confusion. Those photos were taken using a white background. The black one was just for a test with the LED lights.
    Once I saw that photo on my PC I realized that that particular photo didn't really come out well because I hadn't adapted the settings of the camera when switching between the white & black. So I didn't post the pic with the black background.

I think for the WIP shots I'll stick to white and for the finished shots I'll do both.
    Blood Angels Army Project
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12017

Chapter-Master

Yeah I saw the pic of your set up and then the pics of the wip and it just bothered me so I had to ask

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Brother-Captain

Talking

Happy to help with the reality dysfuntcion.

Chapter-Master

XD

Brother-Captain

Today I've started work on the secondary colours. The bronze/gold base colour has been applied and their wash&rub of Smokey Ink (Vallejo), and the piping has had their base coat and light drybrush. The rest of the metalics and detail come after the gold has been done, as the golden drybrush highlights can affect some adjacent areas.

I've also had a nice little ****up with the axe. The head just snapped clean off, and damn, that haft is thinner than the tiniest drill bit I have so I had no choice but to brace it externally. And since my greenstuff-fu is abysmal i just added three little balls less than a mm in diameter. I'll just paint those up in copper, and the copper wire in steel. once that's fully cured I can continue.

Oh, and look what I scrounged up from a box, The Crow! I promptly cut off it's base tab and intend to mount it on a nice little lathe'd round wooden base I also dug up.

And finally the clip-on Macro x20 lens I bought for my phone. It was a nice deal from Black Eye (the brand) and came in a double box together with a wide angle lens. I must say I was quite amazed when I first tried it out. For a little clip on thingie, those lenzes work perfect. Behold! All my painting errors in all glorious, shameless detail that should never be seen! They weren't kidding when they printed 'Macro' on the side of that lens...

And a high res gallery for the macro shots: [url]http://imgur.com/a/cnR5u[/url]

Olé! *clap*clap*

Brother-Captain

Updates, yet again.
    Secondary colours almost complete. Some stuff needs a little bit of tweaking to clean up or smooth out.
    I'm not too sure about the axe's smile. I wanted to do the pale yellowish metal I used for most my power weapons throughout the army, but I wanted to add some little lightning streaks and heat discolouration. The idea was that the powerfield slowly left its marks on the blade over the years. Maybe I need to give it a light metalic glaze to soften the effect, dunno... Perhaps the photos make the effect a little bit harsher than it is IRL.

Anyway, decals are on, so once the little cleanups are done, it's time to seal the model and apply the weathering!

Onwards and upwards!

Brother-Captain

First bit of sponge/foam weathering done and the model's been assembled so I can move on to oil paints. I'll probably clean up some small area's here and there beforehand. Funny how they only pop up once you've taken photos... I've noticed a small spot on his left shoulder, the barrel of his pistol needs a little more definition, and the little wing on his chest has become a bit too unclear thanks to a runaway foam stab.
    Oh, and of course he's a way too shiny at the moment for really decent photos as he already received the Klear coat in preparation of the oil wash.

Whaddayathink?

Brother-Captain

So here 'e is, after an oil wash and a night's wait. Normally I tend to go in for cleanups when the wash is touch-dry but not cured yet, say half an hour, an hour after applying the wash. Sometimes the wash pools a bit too much here and there, or a flat surface has a bit too much on it. But yesterday was a rather busy day so I kinda forgot to do that. After a night's drying, you can still go in and correct stuff, using a cotton stick or brush damp with odourless turpentine, but you'll have to rub a bit harder and making very smooth feathered transitions is a little bit harder. Luckily this model needed no cleanup as far as I can see. I'll scrutinize it a bit more before sealing it in with another coat of clear, but it seems good to go.
    Next up, I think I'll redefine some small details with a fine black outline and then apply some oil and grease stains here and there.

Chapter-Master

Very nice, looks very functional too busy keeping everything else working to keep his own armour shiny.

Brother-Captain

Loving the Techmarine, he really looks like he's been through the thick of it and taken a battering in the process. Very "lived in" look to his armour.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Page 62 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast