BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 39 of 71 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

So, first coat on the helmets, Valejo's Flat Earth. I can't remember at all if I gave the speeder pilots' helmets a brown coat or not, so I'm going to leave it at this second coat, with some of the black still coming through. I also found the yellow mix I had made for them in an airbrush jar, which apparently doesn't seal 100% anymore so well, erm, at least I have a perfect colour sample of the base colour to try and emulate again.
    Alrighty, off the alchemy shed...

Blood Angels Army Project
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12017

First-Captain

Looks delicious!

Chapter-Master

Thanks for posting step by steps... I'm going to follow them to do up the Blood Angels in my shiny new Space Hulk box.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Blood angels was my first army ever and I have been slowly repainting all of my stuff. I absolutely love your paint jobs and those heresy era assault squad looks great!. I may need to steal that idea..... Would love to see how you paint up the space hulk mini's as I just got a set myself!

Keep up the amazing work!!

Chaplain

Your BA's are nice. Now you need Commander Dante to go with your Sang, Guard. I will post a pic later of my Space Hulk marine that I just got this past week.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Thanks for posting step by steps... I'm going to follow them to do up the Blood Angels in my shiny new Space Hulk box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ezekial View Post
    Blood angels was my first army ever and I have been slowly repainting all of my stuff. I absolutely love your paint jobs and those heresy era assault squad looks great!. I may need to steal that idea..... Would love to see how you paint up the space hulk mini's as I just got a set myself!
    Keep up the amazing work!!
    Well, those are actually still waiting for some paint since when the first run of the Space Hulk 3rd edition came out. They just need decent round bases, and well, paint.

Quote Originally Posted by energongoodie View Post
    Looks delicious!
    I was tempted as well...

Quote Originally Posted by bloodangel 83 View Post
    Your BA's are nice. Now you need Commander Dante to go with your Sang, Guard. I will post a pic later of my Space Hulk marine that I just got this past week.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the new BA codex. I hope they bring out some new versions of old minis without going overboard by giving them Blood Swords, or Blood Cannons, or making them cry all the time. I mean the Sanguinor and the Sanguinary Guard's wings were already waaaay over the top for me. I weep for the Space wolves and Dark Angels (frost cannons, flyers that create darkness... please... spare the Blood Angels)

For the short term, I've got a Librarian and a Captain to assemble. I bought the red scorpions libby, and went a bit nuts by ordering bitz off of ebay.

All right, I've just gone through all nearly 40 pages of this thread and your models are just plain f*****g epic! The level of detail and effort is mindblowing (at least for the amateur I am) and you sir have some serious painting skills. By far the best BA army I've seen to date.
    Love the Spartan with the metal tracks and the Contemptor is awesome. Now I don't usually like the explosion effects at the nozzle of the guns/weapons but this would be one exception: if the contemptor would blow the brains out of the impaled Eldar with the Kheres assault cannon I may just start venerating you as a new deity.

Congratulations on a wonderful army, I'm subscribing to see your progress.

Awesome painting, and I must ask how you do your gold?

Cheers

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix darkus View Post
    All right, I've just gone through all nearly 40 pages of this thread and your models are just plain f*****g epic! The level of detail and effort is mindblowing (at least for the amateur I am) and you sir have some serious painting skills. By far the best BA army I've seen to date.
    Love the Spartan with the metal tracks and the Contemptor is awesome. Now I don't usually like the explosion effects at the nozzle of the guns/weapons but this would be one exception: if the contemptor would blow the brains out of the impaled Eldar with the Kheres assault cannon I may just start venerating you as a new deity.
    Congratulations on a wonderful army, I'm subscribing to see your progress.
    I'm humbled by your effort and words, mate! Although if, in your user CP, you put the # of posts per page to max, it's only 10 pages. ^_^
    The firing assault cannon actually crossed my mind during the build, but a firing effect for this minigun would have been huuuuge and I felt I would never have conveyed it as cool as it needs to be. One can't paint transparent flames...

Quote Originally Posted by KhorneFlakes888 View Post
    Awesome painting, and I must ask how you do your gold? Cheers
    For the gold. Well, that was deceptively easy to be honest. As a base coat i use a +- 50/50 mix of Vallejo's Tinny Tin and their copper colour (basically two shades lighter than Tinny Tin). And then the magic trick is Vallejo's smokey ink. That ink is really thick, I just smear that on pretty thick on the gold/bronze parts (taking care not to soil the surrounding areas) and then... immediately rub it off with a finger in the desired direction. This removes the ink from the raised areas, leaves it in the recessed areas, and gives it a nice feather in the transition areas. And after then I just give it a two drybrushed highlights using two different GW golds.
    And that's it. It's really the smokey ink and finger rubbing that do the trick. But you have to be quick and work one one detail at a time as you don't want to leave smears all over your model. But it's a method that goes really fast and produces great results.

Brother-Captain

In the mean time...

This week, oi 'ave been mostly painting 'elmits!

The camera's colour balance does goes a bit haywire with such a big block of yellow, but especially the last row is pretty close to the true colour.

I think it took around 8 coats to lay down the base colour. Yellow's notoriously transparent, and then it needed to be thinned more for the airbrush, but it came out pretty nice. It's basically a 1:1 mix of GW's Sunburst Yellos and Golden Yellow (now thóse are some old pots, lol), and then thinned again to roughly 1:1 paint to thinner/Klear/demineralized water. Too much thinner would have faded the delicate yellow colour too much, hence some Klear and demin. water.

Then I drybrushed 6 consecutively lighter highlights on. Sunburst Yellow, SY+Vallejo's Ice Yellow, SY+more IY. Then cleaned the palette and continued with pure IY, IY+white, pure white.

Next up was a wash of 1:1 sepia and yellow inks, thinned to 1:1 paint:demin. water & some Klear. I mixed this with a tiny, tiny drop of dishwashing detergent to better mix the inks and the water. Especially the gryphonne sepia ink tends to be a bit too coherent and the detergent really mixing everything smoothly together. Tiny drop means the tip of a toothpick moist with detergent.

And finally they received a soft drybrush of Ice Yellow to lighten up the edges again.

I'll let it sit for a show while and then decide if they another glaze or wash. In any case they'll get an oil paint wash the colour will be deepened a bit by that.
    Last edited by Meph; 09-28-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Page 39 of 71 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast