BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 69 of 71 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Ok, the red's on, and the tape's come off.
    It's better than expected as I feared much more leakage under the masking tape. Guess I didn't do such a shoddy job after all. Just some lines need to be cleaned up here and there.

Whaddaythink?

Blood Angels Army Project
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12017

Wow! Painfully exacting masking; how does it look from other angles?
    "It is easier to deceive people than it is to convince them that they have been deceived."

Brother-Captain

Some more shots just to show off the masking. ^_^
    Also, I did enough work on the missile pods so I could remove the masking tape. Those lines are tight! EvenifIdosaysomyself...

Brother-Captain

The photos I took last week didn't really turn out that well and I didn't really get round to taking new ones until now.
    But that means more progress to show, yay!

The secondary colours are almost done, just a few bits & bobs here and there. I stuck to the same base scheme as the rest of the army, with just a few new colours on the cables so each has a different colour. We wouldn't want to confuse the Tech Priests now, do we?
    And I still have to add the plasma glow. It won't be true OSL, just a glow effect on the coils, as I did on the other plasma weaponry in the army.

And here's the Tempest. The metalics are on, and only the missile launcher exhaust plate got the tertiary green colour.
    I have a conundrum about the Abe Lincoln beard though... My original idea was to have it black, with the bigger 'blocks' on the bumper in either a dark metal or the bronze/gold, but I felt it might be too distracting from the general look of the model. Leaving it in black feels like a good compromise, as doing the bumper in red might be too bland, and doing it in green, or bits of it, doesn't seem to suit it at all. I'm curious as to what you guys think of it.

Once the last little colour bits are done, it's on to decals!

I still don't know how you managed to make those parallel diagonal black stripes straight on an expanding curved surface. What's your secret?

Perhaps it's not difficult as I have never tried to do it but it seems the tape mask would curve with the contour and the width of the line would expand toward the center of the line????
    Last edited by Blackadder; 03-18-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    "It is easier to deceive people than it is to convince them that they have been deceived."

Brother-Captain

Ah, you are right indeed about the curve and contour. Luckily there are some angles on there that allow for a clean curve along the lines of the tape without being distorted by the 'bulge' of the overall shape. I also used an extra parts of the 2mm tape of the thinner line as a guideline between the two black lines. That allows for a consistent distance between the two painted mines. So basically I stuck three parallel lines and removed the middle one.

Where do I get 2 MM tape? masking Tape? Anyway, a workman like job and kudos....

Brother-Captain

Woops, posted in the wrong thread.

Well, you should be able to find it at most modeling-, or hobby stores I think.
    I can personally vouch for the good quality of Tamiya's, but most brands should be good I guess. The two things to look out for is a good tackiness with easy and clean release when pulled, and that the edges stay flat and crisp when painting over them.

[url]https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+tape&_sacat=0[/url]

Brother-Captain

Updates! Updates! Come get yer updates!

Slow progress over the past two weeks, but a lot of progress over the few days seeing as I've got some vacation.

First off. I finished the plasma effect on the Deredeo. It took a little longer as the larger coils called for a slightly different approach to the little plasma weapons. Those were done easily by basecoating them white, drybrushing Gobling Green, and drybrushing Ork Flesh (Yes, I still have paintable paint from way back when the animals were still talking).
    For the larger coils on the dread, I needed to clean up quite a few areas and drybrush again, and in the end I gave the coils a wash of extremely tint of Goblin Green, with a light touch-up drybrush of Ork Flesh.

And then the time was ripe for a little side track. A friend of mine got the Rising Sun boardgame that has a metric ****-ton of awesome miniatures and I greedily jumped on the opportunity to paint them. But seeing as those minis have a 'canon' colour scheme that goes with the game, it means that I had to push the shades of red I had to extremes that I rarely dared upon before. It took me quite a while, sitting down in front of my painting desk, and after reaching enlightenment, and squinting really, really hard for a very long time, I began to discern difference in shade and tint.

First up is the Oni of Plagues, this guy:

Seeing as it a mini with rippling muscle and flowing robes I needed to revisit another ancient technique I don't use often; blending.
    I decided to have a goo ad the very finnicky 'selective blending' that a lot of CMON folks have mastered. Damn tricky, but fun to do, if not extremely time consuming.
    And of course, this particular oni had to be to be the most difficut red of them all, something called 'hwhite'!

But it's not too shabby for a first attempt, I hope. I also realised that I just can't treat these models as ultimate show pieces because theer are dozens of them. And I've got more incming, also from a few kickstarted board games I backed myself, although those are still a few months away.

Any feedback and c&c is welcome. I'm particularly interested in tricks & tips on how to have a speedy painting process while still maintaining a decent level of quality.

Thumbs up

I really really like the reflected glare of the green laser tubing effect on the surrounding metal but my own personal opinion is that red (rust in this case) and green clash too much and that blue might be more pleasing. Of course on an other worldly device such as this the reverse might be de rigeur.
    Last edited by Blackadder; 04-04-2018 at 11:28 AM.