BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 26 of 71 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

That's some high praise indeed, cheers!
    Don't forget to post some stuff when you start the army!
    Blood Angels Army Project
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12017

Brother-Captain

In the mean time, some progress on the Land Speeders. The end is in sight. these pictures are right after the decals and some weathering done with a little sponge. I applied some dark grey, some tin, some boltgun metal, and some light brown.
    The decals might shine a bit too much in these pics as they all have a little coat of gloss varnish on them to seal them.
    At the moment the models are coated in satin varnish and I'm ready for the oil paints. I decided to go with satin instead of gloss as I don't want the surfaces to be tóo slippery for the wash with oil paints.

Brother-Captain

Nice going Meph, those Speeders are looking great. Such fiddly models too, I've been painting up a Land Speeder Storm and urgh, the amount of tiny little control panels and such inside them is ridiculous. Any more progress made on the Big Bird?
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Brother-Captain

Cheers mate! yeah, they are fiddly models but painting them partly disassembled did help a great deal. And i don't regret going through the hassle of painting even the shoulder pads separately. it made the whole blacking-out-of-details and detailing process so much smoother.
    The control panels inside, I though 'screw the glowy buttons' and went with an all bronze keyset. ^^ Maybe I'll paint up some of them as if lit up but we'll see.

Well, I've had some good news from the mate who printed the decals, he said they came out great. I'll have them somewhere this week and then it's onwards and upwards with the bigbird!

Brother-Captain

So, here they are after the oil wash (mostly black, with a little bit of dark brown)and dried out. I did some small corrections using pointy cotton sticks damp with turpentine. I cleaned up some plates, the shoulder pads, gave the yellow helmets a light 'polish', etc. This really helped to brighten up some areas, and using the flat bits of the ear swabs I lightened some too-darkened areas while leaving the wash neatly in the recesses.
    Now I need to seal it with a coat of of satin varnish and then I can go to work with thinned inks to add some heat distortion to engine- & weapon nozzles, and pipes. Seal it again and then some more oil paints for grease stains, seal that layer with varnish and then add some weathering powders.
    Oh and I just saw i need to give the two silver areas of the crests on speeders 2 & 3 with an oil paint wash using purely black, to keep the tint of the light blue/purple wash intact.

Enjoy! C&c welcome as always.

Brother-Captain

Yay! The decals got printed!
    Crap! I already managed to frak up two of them! Maybe because it's Chinese waterslide paper, possible because of the reasons outlined below.
    As you can see it's rather dark and cracked although in real life it does appear more crisp than on these photos. The dark probably comes from the fact that the white waterslides are ever so slightly transparent, probably warranting a white undercoat. And as you can see it's also cracked. But that probably comes from the fact that to try out, I just gave the decals one coat of satin varnish from a can because that was easy and fast. Also, considering the size of it, it also has to soak for quite a bit until it comes loose from the paper. Yesterday, I coated them with a second and third satin varnish and just now with a coat of gloss. This will probably seal in the ink strongly enough. I'm going to leave this to dry overnight and then put on a new decal. luckily I added those side panels 7 times per sheet I printed, so I have 5 left and can always print some more.

Battle-Brother

very nice work indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Brother-Captain

Cheers, mate! Anytime.

So apparently the few coats of gloss were the key. ^^

Ta-daaa!

So obviously they still need some work in terms of a few coats of Micro Sol, and the pilot's name needs some trimming. The pilot's name is a tribute to the generous Texan who sold me his pre-order extension kit for the errrr Thunder Raven!...?
    There's also a request for another Texan coming onto the missile pods.

Funny how all these Texans ended up involved in a Belgian build... Must be the beer.

Brother-Sergeant

Great build. My Angels are languishing in a box while other projects (like a new bathroom for the wife) take priority.
    Sinsinatus
    "Go ahead. Roll the dice and see if I get to eat your spleen."

Chaplain

Time to make some high speed wooshy noises while carrying it around the house and your LFGplace xP

Page 26 of 71 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast