BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

wow very very nice
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Brother-Captain

Cheers guys! I'm glad you're liking it. I actually posted a lot more progress shots last night but those posts are still being held hostage by the admins as I was posting them rather quickly. I actually did drill out those barrels, but also, I did overlook them in the beginning. ^^
    The actual progress atm is about 50% done with the weathering but still a long ways to go. So pléase bols-admins, pimp my thread. 0:-)

In the mean time, one more pic that's closer to the actual progress, until my previous posts from yesterday are released from captivity.

Brother-Sergeant

MOAR me likey long time
    "Would you partake of that last offered cup?, or dissapear into the potters ground, when the man comes around" Johnny Cash 1932-2003

Brother-Sergeant

Based on what I see in the few pics that have made it up here, I'm definitely impressed. Wasn't sure about the decals either (too bold against the darker backdrop) but you've weathered them nicely and muted them down which was done well. I look forward to seeing the other posted pics when they arrive!

Brother-Captain

Cheers guys! The weathering's got a long way to go still; powders, oil paints, soot & dirt etc etc.
    Yeah, I do hope the other posts get 'adminned' soon.
    So in the mean time, another shot to show the general look of the rest of the army.

On the left a Sanguinary Guard. the goal is to work with as much metallics as possible to really give them that statuesque armour look. I'm no fan of too bright or colourful detailing on such an intricate armour. I'm also not sure I'll add the wings on them as I feel they're way to clumsy for jump troops and they look that they would cause way too much drag. (I prefer to keep mechanical stuff in the realm of plausibility)

In the middle, the sergeant for the Tactical Squad.

And on the right, a veteran of the Command Squad.

Chapter-Master

im liking the sanguiniary gaurd those metals are really nice i was a bit on the fence about the wings as well, however if you flip them inside out they can be rather streamlined! however i assume there still WIP ! very nice!

-fuzz

p.s. ive already seen your FW marine on CMON? is it finished yet?
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Brother-Sergeant

Anychance you can tell me how you did your metallics?, they look awesome
    "Would you partake of that last offered cup?, or dissapear into the potters ground, when the man comes around" Johnny Cash 1932-2003

Brother-Captain

Thanks guys!

@fuzzbucket: Indeed, they're still very much WIP, but good idea on teh wings, I'll definitely give that a go.

@Duncndisorderly: Well, the metallic on the Sanguinary guard was actually deceptively simple.
    The base coat you see in the previous post (not yet passed through the Mods) is a home-brewn mix of the Vallejo tin colour and some golden metallics. I then applied layer of two, three of ink. First a smokey ink (can't remember if that's GW or Vallejo) thinned with Klear and a bit of water. then I did one layer of thinned sepia ink (the one from GW) with a little bit of brown mixed in, thinned with klear & water.

I've noticed it's never good to thin inks with acrylic paint thinners as they tend to matte down the colour and make the transparency a bit more opaque.

After the ink was dry I just gradually drybrushed the whole lot with a rather large brush and basically went through all the standard shades of the GW golds, ending with a very gentle drybrush with mythril silver. The key here was a very, very dry brush.

Brother-Sergeant

Thanks for the info much appeciated and keep up the good work

Brother-Captain

Anytime mate. Yarr I just wish I had more time to paint... it's been two weeks since I touched a brush. I don't have a 'dirty' desk anymore that I can leave as-is and out of sight. It's the setting up and cleaning up that's a real put-down...

Anywhooo, here's a better shot of the Sanguinary Guard.

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast