BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Cool, the previous posts just got modded. So there's a lot of new stuff up there. ^

Thanks again for Mod's action!

So to continue the 'back-progress' a bit, without further ado:

--

All the miniatures were put together slowly over a few weeks and have all been undercoated and basecoated. I stuck together a 10- man tac. squad, 10-man dev. squad, 5 Sanguinary Guard, 5 honour guard and 10 death company and a Razorback.

The Razorback received the most attention, vehicles are so much fun to work on. ^^

I basecoated with a mix of Mechadenrite Red and Blood red, together with some thinner and Klear. Then I airbrushed some gentle shading and highlights, followed by a drybrushing with the foundation paint orange. To soften up the dusty drybrushing, as well as add some colour depth I airbrushed on a layer or three of a roughly 35% Baal red wash, 15% Red Ink and 50% Klear.
    I'll probably give the edges a gentle drybrushing again to bring out the edges a bit more.

I wanted something to break up the large red surfaces a bit, other than giving the odd plate a different colour. The extra brass and resin detailing will give variation in any case, as well as the weathering still to follow, but I felt it need a little 'extra'. As red wunz go fasta but he's already red there was only one thing I could do. Almost on instinct I spent the better part of an hour meticulously applying masking tape and voilą, racing stripes.
    It came out looking surprisingly well I must say and just needs some tiny touch-ups. The stripes somehow do seem to suit the look of the Razorback. ^^

Brother-Captain

Some more 'back-posting'

And I thought I'd post a few pics of the honour guards, all of them received some minor conversions.

And some of the Sanguinary guard. The colour appears a lot lighter on the camera, in reality it's more of a dark bronze. I'm going to go for a dark look with a lot of the detailing also metallic, I want to give them a statuesque look.

Hey, when I saw 'carpet bombing' I was expecting some Marauders! :P

Mislead aside, the Razorback looks pretty awesome, and I really like the statuesque Sanguinary Guard. The matte finish is one heck of a lot better than the bog-standard brass.
    The Krandor 116th Airborne: Flying Arctic Rednecks..IN SPACE!!!
    http://paradoxgaming.intodit.com- Proud seller of time-space disruptions since 2010

Brother-Captain

Cheers mate. Yeah, I'm quite happy with the way they turned out, it gives them a really old and weathered look.

And here, the last of the 'back-posts". From now on, events occur in real-time. ^^
    The Razorback. I'm especially proud of how the plate on the dozer blade turned out and the silver wings.

And next up is progress on the thing I hate the most, the painting of the black, for all the metallics and detailing. A cursed job it is.
    I still have 20 red marines to go, plus the 5 Sanguinary Guard and also 10 Death Company marines... sigh...

Of course, the Death Company marines do not need black as they were sprayed black but they have a lot of detail on them. I think I'll paint the details just on the black coat. For one I'm too daunted by the amount of marines but also I'm too lazy to bother with painting all those little tidbits white. As with the Sang. Guard I think I'll use as much metallics as possible and for the red crosses and such, I think they'll look good enough if I start directly with red. After all, my 'regular' red marines also started from a black undercoat...

Occuli Imperator

I like the idea of statuesque Sanguinary guard, but perhaps a a few little things shouldn't be that gold color, just to hint that they aren't actually statues... Maybe something as simple as painting the eye lenses? Just a thought, so feel free to disregard it.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Brother-Sergeant

Thanks for that run through on you colors/inks for doing up Sang Guard. I'm getting ready to do a bunch shortly and that really helped. I've got a good non metallic gold that I mixed and am happy with but as far as the silver drybrush idea that was great! I also agree that painting in the vision slots on the helmets would be good. Can't wait to see the finished results!!

Brother-Captain

Good ideas guys! my original plan was to just paint the necessary details in the required colours and the rest fo the details in other metalics. For instance, I'll do the armour joinnts in a dark rubber colour, and obviosuly the coils & clips ofthe guns have to be painted and such. Bet I'll see how it looks with as much of the detailing left in the bronze-gold as-is and see how it looks. I Orginally thought to do the wings on the chests and shoulders and such in the silver with the slight purple shine, I used on the vehicles but it might turn into a cacophony. I'll detail them very gradually and see how their look changes. (with lots of pics of course )
    In any case i like the idea of the lenzes being the only 'non' metallic bit on the bronze. I don't think I'll paint all the drops as gems, actually none of them, maybe a different reddish metallic buit we'll see

Chaplain

Smile

The BA's look great. At first i did not like the racing stripes on the RB but seeing it weathered makes it look a lot better, great job again.

Brother-Captain

Yup, and the weathering's not finished by a long shot.

Some progress at last. I got tempted and bought a Terminator squad and some FW shoulder pads.
    In the interest of my economy I decided to magnetize the heavy weapons guy so I can just switch arms and missile launcher. And I must say, it was very easy do do actually...
    Also, some progress on the Land Raider. I decided to give a light spray with some thinned dark brown oil paint over a coat of varnish to give it a nice weathering/inking but the mix seemed to have been a bit too thin. Just after spraying it it looked real neat around all the rivets and in all the recesses and just, but after drying out there's almost nothing visible. I'll add further oil paint weathering by hand I think.

Chaplain

Your tanks are looking great and I like the weathering on the LRC. I have used the FW BA shoulder pads on my Assualt Termies and they came out great. Where did you get the Typhoon ML at, i have not been able to find any online at the bitz stores. Again looks great.

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast