BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Thanks mate!
    Well, I managed to find a reasonably priced closed box set of the Terminators, comes with the ML, AC and HF. ^^
    Last edited by Meph; 03-01-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Chaplain

Thanks, I guess i will keep looking for them. How's the plastic AC vs the medal one look and how does go together with the shoulder pads.

Brother-Captain

I think the plastic ones are better in terms of detailing, and the FW shoulder pads fit perfectly.

Brother-Captain

Someone on another forum was interested in a mini-magnetizing tutorial so I thought to post it here as well.

For the arms it's very simple, just find a drill bit that's the right size for the magnet. I first made a small notch using the tip of a modeling knife where I want to start drilling, then I drilled a small pilot hole using a pin vice and a medium-sized 'tiny' drill' (a bit bigger than the one on the pic), and then the full size hole using a hand drill. I found the best way to handle that clunky hand drill is to put it on your lap, bracing it against one thigh and then slowly drill with your right hand while holding the mini against the drill with your left. Since you're drilling very slowly, this goes ok and is quite accurate. More accurate I feel than clamping the mini in a vice and holding the whole weight of the drill on the mini.

For the cyclone it's a similar process. I drilled quite a deep hole in that torso so I could fit two magnets in there for some more magneto-power. and then covered he hole with some green stuff to make it flush again. mind you, this is a very thin layer, you can see the magnet's edge just where the groove of that little top armour plate is. And then, as you can see from the pics, the magnets I used fit neatly inside the missile launcher itself. that was the handy bit about the plastic cyclone. I assembled the cyclone after the torso magnets were in place and left off the front section. Then you just put the magnet in, right-side up, and put it on top of the termy to dry-fit. Take it out, a drop of superglue in the cyclone's middle section, put the magnet back it and put the missile launcher on the termy as usual. The magnet will position itself neatly while the glue's still wet., with the minimum adjustment needed. And when that's dry, glue the front back on. the cool thing is that those little magnets are strong enough to hold the cyclone on even with +-3mm between them, and the little plastic mounts of the terminator body and cyclone hold it neatly in place. It's not the strongest of bonds though although you can pick up the model by the cyclone, but I wouldn't flick it very hard...

Oh and on a general note, I found that the handiest way to put the magnets in the holes is, for the first magnet; a drop of glue in the hole and then just stick the whole little stack of magnets in the hole and then you can just slide off the stack while leaving one magnet in, that way the magnet sits nicely level and flush. Pushing in one by finger tends to be less level.
    And when that's dried I just put on a single magnet on the already glued one so it's centered and right-side up, put a bit of glue in the hole of the second part and push the part onto the magnet, squeezing it in. And then slide off the part. Worked like a charm.

Brother-Captain

Ah, the joys of thinned oil paints...

Brother-Captain

The first tactical squad almost complete. I'd say it's at roughly 90% finished. I just need to apply some more decals but I'll have to make & print those first. I thought to cook up some righteous mumbo-jumbo for the on the larger pigments and I need some black blood drops for the right shoulder pad as I decided to make them from the 5th company.
    I'll freehand some stuff on the smaller purity seals and such. And they need some basing done as well.

For the rest I think they turned out quite nicely. I didn't want to go too elaborate on them, both in terms of colours and painting technique. The idea is to have them at a decent table-top quality. The size of the pictures does tend to show the drybrushing a bit harsher than it actually is.
    Oh, and I think I'll use some black oil paint to outline the details and panels.

Last edited by Meph; 05-14-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

How I love the good old black-rimmed shoulder pads... Those were the days...

Greetz,
    Sny

Librarian

How did you do the weathering work, it looks awesome.

Brother-Captain

Hehehe, black rims & bieakies ftw!

@ERW: Well, I've used several techniques. I 'dry-sponged' on some chips with boltgun metal, black, and dark brown & -grey. I also gave the panel lines and details a wash with heavily thinned dark brown oil paint and turpentine and on the Razorback I've also apllied some stains and smears using MIG's Oil & Grease Stain Mixture, a oil paint based pre-mixed ink, great stuff.
    And I've applied some weathering powders around the exhausts using some turpentine.

I've you want some more detail on specific things, don't hesitate to ask, or you can always have a look through my [URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12800"]Large Forgeworld Marine thread[/URL]. Most of the techniques there are explained in more detail, with lots of step-by-step pictures.

Cheers!

Brother-Sergeant

Can we get some more shots on the Srg and his backpack? Awe struck!

Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast