BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Building a Warlord sometime next year...

I plan on building a Warlord Titan sometime next year and figured I'd put some thoughts out there before I start construction. I've done a little calculating based on what the Forgeworld Reaver is and what I've got on hand-namely the original plastic Warlord and original Reaver titans (from epic).

So far, I'm getting a Warlord that's "only" about 18 inches tall (to the top of the carapace, no weapons). I don't have the "newer" epic Warlord to measure and am wondering how tall that model is. Also, I'm thinking of "mixing" concepts with it and making the legs/body closer in design to the original but then making the carapace more like the Forgeworld Lucius Warhound.

So anyway, thoughts? Suggestions? Messages to burn in hell because I'm violating some sacred cannon?
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Chapter-Master

hmm titan scale is tricky.. reacently i found this [url]http://www.redknuckle.com/sales.htm#[/url] click on the mechanicus logo.

as for design id suggest getting your mits on 'dictato' lots of warlord pics from many angles and detail +interior.

if you are doing interior would you do a prniceps chair or casket with fluid?

love to see this finished . (p.s. youve seen the one that was on the frontpage a while ago in winter camo? its cool )
    Last edited by fuzzbuket; 12-16-2010 at 04:06 PM.
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chapter-Master

My friend built one last year, with a size thats between Warlord and Imperator

He used the Apoc rule book. The data sheet for the warlords in there. Theres also a "scale" picture of it standing next to a warhound (and a rhino i think). he used that as a scaling factor, got how tall the FW warhound was and got the size from that

As for mixing concepts i get the feeling every titan is an individual, built and worshipped by the mechanicus as the individual god machine it is. So (like an inferior ork stompa) each one is going to be different, to the STC that the mechanicus used. So it can look like whatever the hell you want! Personally i've always liked the warhounds sloped back look, but i've always liked the Cathedral on legs look as well!
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    hmm titan scale is tricky.. reacently i found this [url]http://www.redknuckle.com/sales.htm#[/url] click on the mechanicus logo.

as for design id suggest getting your mits on 'dictato' lots of warlord pics from many angles and detail +interior.

if you are doing interior would you do a prniceps chair or casket with fluid?

love to see this finished . (p.s. youve seen the one that was on the frontpage a while ago in winter camo? its cool )
    LOVED the look of the winter camo one, but thought it was too big.
    Probably won't do an interior, but now that you've put the idea in my head....I'd probably do a chair, but if I were to locate on the cheap something that could be a casket-well everything is still in the very preliminary stages.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    My friend built one last year, with a size thats between Warlord and Imperator

He used the Apoc rule book. The data sheet for the warlords in there. Theres also a "scale" picture of it standing next to a warhound (and a rhino i think). he used that as a scaling factor, got how tall the FW warhound was and got the size from that

As for mixing concepts i get the feeling every titan is an individual, built and worshipped by the mechanicus as the individual god machine it is. So (like an inferior ork stompa) each one is going to be different, to the STC that the mechanicus used. So it can look like whatever the hell you want! Personally i've always liked the warhounds sloped back look, but i've always liked the Cathedral on legs look as well!
    I've seen the picture in Apoc. The problem is Warlord scale is becoming in some circles the "3rd rail" of 40K modeling. Whatever you do, someone will tell you it's wrong.
    I really like the idea of titans being individuals. I'm more used to the old epic "every warlord was the same, just with different weapons" concept, but I was just going to name whatever mine looked like a "whatever" pattern, since we do know that multiple different STC patterns of the Warhounds and Reavers do exist.

I'm also looking for a practical reason to put a carapace landing pad on it (it's really not needed anymore by the rules, but would look cool)

Chapter-Master

Landing pad

a) Write your own rules! Firing platform, etc...theres rules for a stompa that has a landing pad somewhere...quite like the idea of a company of mortarmen or devastaors raing heavy fire down from the high vantage point

As for fluff....if the battle calls for the full might of the Legio Titanicus in a warlord titan theres definently a supreme military command somewhere on the battle...and where better to get a view of the battle than the viewing bay on a Warlord? And he has to get there in his personalised valkerie somehow...so land on it!
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

I really do need to get the pics of my Warlord on here (BoLS) at some point. Mine is the titan DrLove42 was referring to. From the Apoc book, I calculated that they should be around a maximum of 30" tall. Unfortunately, as I worked on the model it kind of grew until it now stands around 48" tall lol. At that kind of size it is easilly getting in to the realm of Imperitor teritory. Especially as it's titan close combat weapon is twice as long as a Baneblade!

As for other thoughts; loving your concept. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Don't worry too much about people thinking it's a bit wrong on scale. So long as it looks cool (which it will I'm sure) people don't worry too much about if it's too big/small. Lets face it, at 18+" tall it is almost always going to be able to shoot what ever it wants to/be shot. You would need some pretty special terrain to get obscurred target for it :P

Suggestions? Well I used a large base and a PVC pipe skeleton to help make the titan stable during game play. I also added some cog shaped wheels on the back of the base, with only a segment of each exposed. These are marked with the numbers 1 to 6 and 1 to 9 to show the number of void shields and structure points left respectively. I would suggest if you do this, you also add a 0, if only on the void shield spinner. Another little touch I've done that you might like to include in your design is that the arm weapons come off, so alternative options can be added. I didn't think about this when I was making the carapace weapons, but you may want to consider doing this for them as well.

No message to burn in hell, unless yours turns out better than mine (which is reasonably likely lol)
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

IIRC the Warlord Titan that was being made for Armorcast was in the 18-20" range not including the carapace weapons.

I find it somewhat humorous that people point to a specific bit of artwork, including those in the Apoc book, and say"it must be this tall. The artwork varies quite a bit and even the fluf is inconsistant.

Build it to what looks right compared to other models. Also remember that making it larger has as many disadvantages as benefits. IMHO there is no advantage in having a model exactly in scale with infantry. I do not care if I can fit 10 space marines in a Rhino model if it means that model is bigger than houses in my terain collection.

Chapter-Master

Can't ever go too big. I get to play against this Imperator titan every Apoc game. When it goes boom - funny things happen.

Thats on the large size.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast