BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default DE Arcane Wargear Questions

Hi all,

I have a couple questions regarding the arcane wargear in the DE codex, and they might possibly be FAQ items. However, I would like to know how these issues have been settled in others' games.

Crucible of Malediction - Once per game, in the shooting phase, a model with the Crucible of Malediction may choose to open it instead of firing. Every pskyer within 3d6" of the bearer must pass a Ld test or be removed from play as they go stark raving mad. No saves of any kind are allowed. (DE Codex p. 60) If one were to use it on a seer council, for example, would the warlocks have to take tests as well? They are 'psykers' who don't have to take psychic tests. Also, I assume that each model has to check individually, and there is no roll for the entire unit. Is this right?

Shattershard - Any non-vehicle model hit by the Shattershard must take a Toughness test. If they fail this test, they are removed from play with no saves of any kind allowed. (DE Codex p. 61) My question here is, is it like JotWW, where one can 'assassinate' models by targeting them specifically, or can the casualties be dished out to anyone in the unit, like during shooting. RAW, I would think not.

How have these situations panned out in your real space raids my fellow Archons?

Warlocks are psykers (who happen to have a rule as to how they use their special powers).
    Each psyker is affected individually.
    While the CoM is used instead of firing a weapon, none of the rules concerning firing a weapon is actually used. Thus wound allocation never comes into play.

The Shattershard on the other hand is a weapon and follows the rules for Template weapons. So no "assassinations".

In short, I think you are right.

When using a template weapon, any models under the teardrop shaped template are hit. The Shattershard is pretty explicit-- any models hit must take the toughness test. Since the shattershard doesn't deal wounds there is nothing to allocate. Only the models under the template are hit, and they are the ones who take the Toughness test.

Chapter-Master

Shattershard will kill specific models, so yes, you can assassinate models with it.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chaplain

Thanks for the feedback.

So models take the test individually in re CoM, and models hit by the template by Shattershard can be 'assassinated'. That is what I thought, even though my post seems to imply otherwise.

Methinks I'll have to try shattershard out in my next couple of games!
    Last edited by Necron_Lord; 12-16-2010 at 01:54 PM.

I am still not sure about the Shattershard.

How do you determine who is hit by the template from the Shattershard?
    What rules do you use?

The situation is not comparable to JotWW at all.

Quote Originally Posted by steelmage99 View Post
    How do you determine who is hit by the template from the Shattershard?
    What rules do you use?
    The rules for Templates (pg. 29):

Instead of rolling to hit, simply place the template so that its narrow end is touching the base of the model firing it and the rest of the template covers as many models as possible without also touching a friendly model. Any models fully or partially under the template are hit... Wounds inflicted by template weapons do not have to be allocated on the models actually covered by the template, but can be put onto any model in the unit.
    Now, read the rules for the Shattershard:

Any non-vehicle model hit by the Shattershard must take a Toughness test. If they fail this test they are removed from play with no saves of any kind allowed.
    The Shattershard only affects models that are hit. Template rules state that any model under the template is hit, which means that only models under the Shattershard template are affected.

Two important things to note here:

1)The last sentence of the template weapons rule states that wounds may be allocated to other models. Shattershard causes no wounds (the only reason they mention saves is to prevent questions).

2)You are still required to hit as many models as possible. If the character chained off somehow that you'd only be able to hit 3 models if you aimed towards him, and 4 if you aimed towards the majority of the unit, you'd have to hit the 4.

I personally don't think the shattershard needs a faq. it can be effective but also can do a whole bunch of nothing (seen both).