BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scout

Default Bring the old skool Gobsmasha back to life.

Well guys I'm Trying to build a old skool Gobsmasha. I seen pix for it but no true blue rules about it. So I decided to take a shot at what the rules for this piece of ork hardware should be. The Gobsmasha is also currently a work in process for it's construction. If you would like to check it out follow this link. [URL]http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/modelling/176574-my-scratch-built-gobsmasha.html#post1534042[/URL]

Gobsmasha
    Pts
    : 135 BS: 2 Armor: F 13 S 11 R 10 Type: Heavy Support

Weapons
    : Boom gun

War Gear
    : 'ard case

The Gobsmasha may select upgrades from the following list.
    armour plates +10pts
    grot riggers +5pts
    'uge wheelz +15pts
    red
    paint job +5pts
    reinforced ram +5pts
    wreckin' ball +10pts

The Gobsmasha may add 3 more weapon upgrades from the following list.
    Big Shoota +5pts
    Rokkit Launcha +10pts
    Kustom Mega Blaster +15pts

New Wargear
    'uge wheelz: 'uge wheels are giant wheels made of steel or iron. They allow a re-roll on terrain test and the Gobsmasha treats a vehicle damage result immobilized as Crew Stunned on a d6 roll of 4+. This new result stands even if the Gobsmasha has armour plates.
    Last edited by jammer397; 08-30-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Battle-Brother

It seems like a old battlewagon with a boomgun. To make it more destinctive(and cool as hell) you should give it the "Lumbering Behemoth" special rule like the Leman russes have. Plus, just put the huge wheels on them and take off the deffrolla option. Plus, if you don't make the vehicle open topped, then you don't have to specify it as having a ard case

The Alchemist

How are you counting the plasmacannon that's on the old armorcast models?

Scout

Your talking about the 2 plasma guns on the side of the main gun. I just forgot to add them to the datafax. The main gun was a battle cannon but I'm trying to bring this classic into 5th edition. Thats why I used the Boomgun.

Chaplain

There's a new weapon from FWavailable for the "big Trak" (new vehicle. FW have experimental rules for it and the superboomdeathkillcannongun for download on their website) that may be suitable.

The trak itself is a tracked trukk (not a half-trak) that can transport infantry, but loses capacity for each upgrade of its guns.
    With a reallybiggun(tm) it is no longer a transport.
    This is the new gun.

this is the new vehicle.

That's a jet engine intake on the front of the trak, not a gun, btw.

Rules are here: [url]http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/bigtrakk.pdf[/url]

Bring back the spleenrippa, I say.

Scout

Nice find but thats not what I'm trying to build. Slowly though I'm trying to bring back tank like the spleenrippa, skull hammer and so on. I did make a Gobsmasha and I played tested it to day and I have found it a good tank. It cheap too. It's cheaper then my looted wagon with boom gun but It has only the Boom gun, big shoota, and 'Uge wheelz. It worked very nice vs CSM. I'm very happy about the big scrap I racked in with it.

Librarian

I worry that it might be too good; that it's point cost is too low.

Compare to to a looted wagon:
    - It's armour is so much better; (yours takes S:7+ to even damage, vs. S:5+ for a looted wagon)
    Compared to the new FW Big Trakk
    - 120 points for AV:12, Case, and a Killcannon; (a 15 point difference yours has better armour and a much better gun).
    Campared to a Battle wagon with killcannon
    - yours is less points, for a less armour but the superior gun; (add 'ard case to the 'Wagon, and yours is getting even less costly).

I think at 145-150 points it would be better balanced.
    Also, the plasma guns are too cheap at 5pts, they need to be 10-15. Orks have an obvious lack of AP2 weapon, the ability to take 3, with rapidfire, for 15pts... no one would pass that up.

Unfortunately, Chromedog also has a point. Forgeworld kinda made this a pointless project now, with their Big Trakk. If fills the spot between trukk and battlewagon/gunplatform and carrier.

Scout

Well lets break it down.

A looted wagon with just a boomgun FAR 11 SAR 11 and RAR 10 is 105

A Gobsmasha with just a Boomgun FAR13 SAR 11 and RAR 10 is 135. So your paying 20 more points for 2 more front armor points. You also get the 'ard case for 10 points.

Now on to plasma guns. VDR from chapter approved states 5 points for BS 2 plasma guns. It cost 15 points for a space marine with BS 4 to get a plasma gun. So why should anyone have to pay 15 points for the same gun but lower BS.

Now the question why would you take anything else over plasma guns. Think about it. At a range of 24'' you get 3 STR 7 AP 2 shots and you will most likely miss 2 out of 3 shots if you hit at all. Now if I take 3 big shoota I will get 9 STR 5 AP 5 shots at 36''. That boils down to better range and more shots. Think on this you get 9 shots and you will hit 3-4 times out of the 3-4 times you will wound 2-3 times, and if you have a good day you will hit 7 out of 9 times and wound 5 out of 7 shots. It all mathhammer. Now you got a Boomgun STR 8 with AP 3 big temp with a range of 36''. Do you even really need a big shoota, plasma gun, or rokkit launcha at all.

Now on to why make it at all. Well if you got a foot sloggin army you need a true tank. That is what the Gobsmasha is all about. It don't move fast. It don't carry orks. It has big dakka. It has better armor then a looted wagon. It can pack the gear to make it a very mobile tank, not fast. I said mobile. It can move through ruff terrain and so on. It can soak up fire better then the looted wagon too. It can't take enemy fire as well as a battlwagon but it's cheaper. The Gobsmasha can also handle tanks a little better then a battle wagon with killkannon also and maybe just a little better then the kannon. So it comes down to it has a special role in a foot sloggin army but not in a kult of speed army.

The spleenrippa is more for a Kult of speed army, but thats another story all together.

Librarian

Two points of armour is a huge difference. Look at the difference between toughness 4 and toughness 6! Or a 4+ save and a 2+ save.

The VDR rules are quite outdated now (they came out in 3rd ed).
    My point essessment for plasma is based on the rest of the army. Even the boomgun lacks AP:2; so AP:2 is important to orks. The plasma would be better against termies then even the boomgun; also once the boomgun is destroyed (and believe me its what the opponent is going to go after) what fallback weapons would be better.

Math-hammer - Your doing it wrong! (sorry, couldn't help myself)
    Big Shootas and Plasma is a non-comparison, because of AP. Saves make a world of difference.
    With the shoota, you wound 2-4 tau, you kill 1-2... you wound 4 termies, you kill none (on average) but might get lucky.
    With plasma, you hit two termies you kill two. Against MEQ, FNP, WBB, the AP:2 is the clear winner.
    Orks are already good at getting weapons with a lot of output.
    The only reason that you don't see mega-blastas all over the place is cost.

Scout

Well is see you still don't get the main point. Why pay more for less. Ok I will state this again. You can upgrade a marine with a BS of 4 with a plasma gun for 15 points. So why should a Ork with a BS of 2 pay the same. Also the current edition of VDR is what you use till GW makes a new VDR system. So comes do to 5 points it is or I can just do away with them because by 5th edition the orks can't have plasma at all. So whats better on this one. I will stand by out put for better AP any day (for orks anyhow) and I know this works because my Gobsmasha is at test play stage with current rules. I have 2 Big Shootas and a rokkit launcha. Even without a Boom gun I can throw a betting against marines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast