BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Eldar Vehicle Model Lines Question

Question for all you Eldar painters out there. I'm looking for a good (lazy) option for coloring in the lines on the Eldar tanks. By that, I mean the molded lines that break up the surface of every Eldar tank. The recessed ones. I've tries some pens, and while they work well, the pen seems to only work for a few lines, then they cease and desist with the ink flow.

I know the regular option of using a small brush and just painting like a big boy, but I'm looking for a good shortcut. Anyone out there have any luck with any particular brand of pen? Ideas on why the pens quit on me? Something else?
    Even the Emperor and Horus have rolled 1's.

Quote Originally Posted by Crotch Lictor View Post
    Question for all you Eldar painters out there. I'm looking for a good (lazy) option for coloring in the lines on the Eldar tanks. By that, I mean the molded lines that break up the surface of every Eldar tank. The recessed ones. I've tries some pens, and while they work well, the pen seems to only work for a few lines, then they cease and desist with the ink flow.

I know the regular option of using a small brush and just painting like a big boy, but I'm looking for a good shortcut. Anyone out there have any luck with any particular brand of pen? Ideas on why the pens quit on me? Something else?
    1) Prime Black (or your chosen colour for the recesses)
    2) Avoid paint getting in the recesses
    3) ???
    4) Profit!

Gundam Markers?

Chaplain

paint up to your next to last color, then go back and wash the recesses carefully with whatever wash you want. Finish the rest of the model after a wash or two.
    Officially abandoned a total RG army in light of a single custom marine army i can use for all codecies...what does that make me?

Chaplain

Super lazy method:

Paint the model to near-completion.
    Rub crayon on the cracks.
    Wipe off raised surfaces.
    Done!
    Melissia Wrote: "I think the secret to getting more people to stop calling you an arrogant elitist douchebag is to stop being an arrogant elitist douchebag."

trick I used on my Falcons is one i learned when doing Gundam kits as the panel lines are much smaller than a falcon and as a result far easier to do on a falcon,

I start off using an oil based acrylic like the Tamiya color range and dilute it with the required thinner
    then using a fine brush i load it up and place a drop in a corner or an intersection of where multi lines meet
    and like magic it runs along the detail line if i get any where i dont want it when I place the starting dot i clean this up with a cotton tip /Q-tip.

If it stops half way i place another dot at the end and it joins up.

this method can be done with water but not as effectivly and the paint surface can affect how the water behaves.

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Crotch Lictor View Post

Artist Pitt Pens work for this beautifully. Unlike sharpie markers which will colour purple over time, the India Ink found in the Pitt Pens stays black. Works over all paints (haven't found one that doesn't work yet) and because there's several sizes you can get, from xs to xl you can get one that will fill in the cracks nicely with inky black colour. Run about 4.00/each, and can be found at hobby lobby. Also come in metallic, but those are single size.

Link to the Pitt Pen [URL="http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/pitt-artist-pen-820134/"]http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/pitt-artist-pen-820134/[/URL]

I use these regularly for lining guard tank panels, and such. Still choose to freehand names and the like on banners, but for recesses these have become a staple in my paint box.
    Commission painting & minis currently 4 sale: www.redstickstudio.weebly.com Our Studio Blog: www.redstickstudio.wordpress.com

trick I used on my Falcons is one i learned when doing Gundam kits as the panel lines are much smaller than a falcon and as a result far easier to do on a falcon,

I start off using an oil based acrylic like the Tamiya color range and dilute it with the required thinner
    then using a fine brush i load it up and place a drop in a corner or an intersection of where multi lines meet
    and like magic it runs along the detail line if i get any where i dont want it when I place the starting dot i clean this up with a cotton tip /Q-tip.

this method can be done with water but not as effectivly and the paint surface can affect how the water behaves.

hope this helps

Brother-Sergeant

Some good ideas. thanks. The models I'm working on now are already airbrushed so some tips might not apply, but I see some that should. Thanks!

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lordgimpet View Post

hope this helps
    Any idea on how much to dilute? I like this idea and want to try it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast