BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I've got pedals on my 3 that were not made by Mazda.

I've got a collapsible stock for my Mini-30 not made by Ruger.

I've got grips on my 232 not made by Sig.

I've got Estes rockets that I fly with Quest motors.

I've got an MSR filter hooked up to a Playtpus water bag.

I've got laces in my boots that were not made by Timberland.

I've got tires on my mountain bike that sure as hell were not made by Trek.

What I haven't got for you, Chapterhouse, is anything but wishes of good luck and advice you don't need: Never again do anything as stupid as releasing that Tau tank.

"44. Chapterhouse’s use of the Games Workshops trademarks, including without
    limitation the marks WARHAMMER, WARHAMMER 40,000, 40K, SPACE MARINE,
    CHAOS SPACE MARINES, ELDAR, ELDAR FARSEER, ELDAR JETBIKE, ELDAR
    WARLOCK, ELDAR SEER COUNCIL, TYRANID, ADEPTUS MECHANICUS, BLOOD
    ANGELS, DARK ANGELS, BLOOD RAVENS MARINES, IMPERIAL GUARD, BLACK
    TEMPLARS, ALPHA LEGION, BONESWORD, CARNIFLEX, CRIMSON FISTS, FLESH
    TEARERS, GENESTEALER, GAUNT, HERESY ARMOUR, HORUS HERESY, HOWLING
    GRIFFONS, IRON HANDS, IMPERIAL FISTS, LASHWHIP, LEGION OF THE DAMNED,
    LIGHTNING CLAW, LIONS RAMPANT, LUNA WOLVES, MANTIS WARRIORS, MK
    ARMOUR, MYCETIC SPORE, RHINO, SALAMANDER, SONS OF RUSS, SOUL
    DRINKER, SPACE WOLVES, STAR FOX, SWARMLORD, TECHMARINES, TAU,
    THUNDER ARMOUR, THUNDER HAMMER, TERMAGANTS, TERVIGON, and YMGARL
    (among others) are likely to cause confusion, to cause mistake, or to deceive."

-Read after Space Wolves, GW OWNS STAR FOX!?!?!?!?!?!

Brother-Sergeant

Ssshhhh! There's a mistake in the filing. Star Fox was a name I believe that CH put to the SW line. It's not a trademark of GW, registered or non-registered afaik

Nick? Get on it!

Brother-Sergeant

I have been in this hobby for a long long time now and this is not the first time and wont be the last that GW has come down on someone. Personally I don't give a rats about the legal crap not like CHS is any threat is it morally I think GW is way over the line I mean not like they are squeaky clean about pilfering someone else's ideas is it. I hope you at least reach an agreement Jon because I for one want your products available to customize my gw models.

Abbess Sanctorum

I'm eking laong, even if I did have a desire to support you I couldn't. As it is... well, you shot yourself in the foot. Good luck with the procedings...
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Quote Originally Posted by chapterhousestudios View Post
    Unfortunately (or fortunately) it is all not as clear cut as many of you think. There is a right for other entities to refer to trademarks in regard to their products. It is called "nominal use". It is the same way companies refer to Ipod accessories and certain model car parts.

I wont bore you all with the details in any case, you either agree or disagree with GW or Chapterhouse Studios. I wish the fans would educate themselves regarding the laws though.
    It's one thing to make a accessory that's compatible with a device. (Like your vheclie conversion kits.)

But it's also another thing to make a Knock off hand bag.....

GW's Flesh Tearers Shoulder Pad:
    [url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440197a&prodId=prod5500 12a[/url]

CHS's "Sawblade Shoulder Pad & seperate Jewel - great for Fleshtearers" :
    [url]http://chapterhousestudios.com/webshop/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=31[/url]

If I am uneducated on the subject, I'm more then happy to be educated/corrected! I really want to see you guys come threw in the end.
    Last edited by Lockark; 12-29-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Well this is quite sharp for someone asking for help. I'm sorry us poor thickos don't understand your point, and need to educate ourselves.
    Legal definition can be incredibly complicated yet still vague, posting the pertinent material would not necessarily improve our comprehension of the situation.

People also tend to make judgments based on opinion, hearsay and what they think the law means rather than the letter of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    A reasoned response would be, seeing as you are so clear that what you were doing is legal, why don't you try fighting your legal position without any donations?
    Being in the right does not guarantee they will not loose the lawsuit. Jurrys can be swayed by exaggerations, persuasive speakers and outright falsehoods. Defense lawyers can also make mistakes that cost them the case.

A good example is the spilled coffee case against McDonalds. The plaintiff had an expert witness who claimed the coffee was at 270 degrees F.

Occuli Imperator

I just wanted to remind everyone that BoLS does not take any position on this topic. The comments in this thread in no way reflect the ideas or opinions of BoLS or the lounge. Our only view is to allow community news to be reported. Thank you

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by chapterhousestudios View Post
    Unfortunately (or fortunately) it is all not as clear cut as many of you think. There is a right for other entities to refer to trademarks in regard to their products. It is called "nominal use". It is the same way companies refer to Ipod accessories and certain model car parts.

I wont bore you all with the details in any case, you either agree or disagree with GW or Chapterhouse Studios. I wish the fans would educate themselves regarding the laws though.
    Nominal use is fine, you'd most likely have not drawn this response from GW if you'd produced generic bits components as many other companies have done, but you did'nt go generic, you've blatently used GW IP to identify your product without until now in a panic I would imagine any form of disclaimer. More then that you've blatently used GW IP within your product, with some artistic flair certainly, but it is clearly identifiable none the less, such as the example that Lockark posted.

Put it this way, you might find a third party producing and selling an iPod cover, but you would'nt find it with the Apple logo on.

It may not be as clear cut as that, but it would never have come to this if CH had been careful rather then acting as they have. I'm sorry you stand to lose something you've worked hard for here, and I restate that I hope you don't lose out personally, but this is how things go down.
    Last edited by Col.Gravis; 12-30-2010 at 04:29 AM.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Legal definition can be incredibly complicated yet still vague, posting the pertinent material would not necessarily improve our comprehension of the situation.

People also tend to make judgments based on opinion, hearsay and what they think the law means rather than the letter of the law.

Being in the right does not guarantee they will not loose the lawsuit. Jurrys can be swayed by exaggerations, persuasive speakers and outright falsehoods. Defense lawyers can also make mistakes that cost them the case.

A good example is the spilled coffee case against McDonalds. The plaintiff had an expert witness who claimed the coffee was at 270 degrees F.

Lane you have not understood a single thing I said. If these boys are whtier than white, why has the names of their products changed, ie 'imperial guard heads' to 'colonial heads'?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast