BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Assaults and Units That Have Been Eliminated

if Unit A is about to assault Unit B, and shoots at it first - and then eliminates it (eg: the dice go badly for Unit B's saves, or it routs off the table) -- can Unit A then assault Unit C instead, assuming it's in range?

I know that if Unit B is intact, then A may only assault B (RAW as per p. 33). But what happens if B is not around to be assaulted? Does A simply stand there?

I cant find anything in the 5th Ed. rulebook, the 40k Rulebook FAQ, or the Adepticon FAQ.

Thoughts?

Yes is the way I see it.
    You can only assault the same target you shoot at; even if that target is no longer there.

Chapter-Master

they rulebook states you can only charge what you shoot. If you are intending on charging, remember not to blast it to smitherings.

this rule is due to the days where one unit could move more than 24" and kill 3 units in one full game round: jump pack 12, shoot kill, charge another unit 6" wipe unit out, consolidate into a 3rd 2d6", wipe out and consolidate another 2d6", now begin your next turn... Blood Angels were notorious for this.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 12-31-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Chapter-Master

If you completely destroy the unit you shoot at, then there's nothing left to charge. Any attempted assault will automatically fail. And since you can only charge what you can shoot, you can't assault anything else. So, no, you can't assault if you destroy the unit.

The only exception is destroying a transport, then assaulting the unit inside.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    The only exception is destroying a transport, then assaulting the unit inside.
    Really? I was under the impression that the transport and the unit embarked counted as separate units, therefore not allowing this.

Can you point me in the direction of this rule in the rulebook? I must have overlooked it.

If it is so, that would be very helpful!

Librarian

BRB pg.67 Second paragraph under Destroyed-Explodes!

Chapter-Master

Yes. Assaulting the passengers is explicitly allowed. It is the one and only exception in the BRB to the "only assault the unit you shot" rule.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Sergeant

Most excellent.

Thank you both for clarifying that; it is very much appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, was that rule in the last edition? I still have bouts of "4th edition flashbacks", so maybe that is why I was mixed up on this rule. That, or I was just skim reading and missed it.

This is what happens when you play in a very insular environment.

This rule was introduced with the fifth edition rules. It is one of those changes that is only found by the player who actually reads the new ruleset and would never be noticed by those just skimming the rules because it is buried in rules which are nearly a copy-paste from fourth edition.