BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default A different sci-fi miniature game...recommendations?

I'm looking for another way to waste my money when I'm not playing 40k (which I play because its the most commonly played here)

So...

Stargrunt?
    Dust Tactics?
    Battletech?
    Heavy Gear?
    Others?

And for the record, I prefer definite sci-fi, as opposed to the steampunk-magic combination of Warmachine. I've heard that WM is a good game, but I confess the background doesn't interest me at all.

so, thoughts?

Battle-Brother

infinity is a good choice offers a wide range of minitures and decent backgrounds........

the truth is i sub them for imperial guard just because they look good... but i dont know many people that actually play the game itself

Nathan

Battle-Brother

what scale?

have you considered battlefleet gothic?

Battle-Brother

Yes, I play BFG occasionally - its fun.

I have no fixed notion of scale - I was just going to give something else a try, just for fun.

Battle-Brother

i looked at Firestorm, but too similar to BFG and the huge models of the BB puts me off

currently interested in dystopian war, which is Victorian SciFi rather than steam punk in my opinion

Hi.
    Have you tried .'freewargamesrules' for lots of free to down load rule sets.

I like ...StargruntII, No limits, Fast and Dirty, ChainReaction III,and Infinity for 15-28mm

And Dirtside, NET epic and Epic Armageddon for 6mm-10mm.

TTFN

First-Captain

I like the Infinity rules set, but it's hit or miss with faction ideas and sculpts.

Amazingly, much like Vor: the Maelstrom from FASA right before they closed doors. I was a playtester for that. Really didn't get into it.

I'm digging Dystopian Wars (just played a first "test" game last night) but since you don't want steampunk--won't be your bag o' tea.

Babylon 5 Wars was a great game to play for starship combat.

You also really can't go wrong with CBT. Battletech has been fun consistantly for the last 20+ years.

Steampunk is Victorian sci-fi.

Quote Originally Posted by fracas View Post
    i looked at Firestorm, but too similar to BFG and the huge models of the BB puts me off

currently interested in dystopian war, which is Victorian SciFi rather than steam punk in my opinion
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

I have heard good things about Infinity, and a couple of guys in the local gaming shop play it. From what I saw it is a squad based game. It looks like a combination of Necromunda and a fututistic mercenaries board game.

Other than that, Classic Battletech. It is still going after all this time, and has progressed with new factions, technology, and miniatures. I will not explain more since you mentioned them in your intro, and I get carried away discussing my favourite gaming system.

Malirfaux is another game I have heard about. It is becoming more and more popular. It has cards for the skill and abilities of the models. I can not tell much more than that about them, as I have not studdied the game.

There is Urban wars from Urban Mammoth, though the sets are a lot harder to get these days. I do not know much about them.

Lastle West wind productions produce a mecha squad based game called Secrets of the Third Reich, set in alternative time line, based on what wold happen if germany was able to hold out, and develop mecha based forces, and get the technology of a Roswell type crash to extend the war. The The other powers get battlefield salvage, and steal blueprints etc, and you have the game. I t 28/35mm scale, and the miniatures look very nice.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Steampunk is Victorian sci-fi.
    true!
    but i didn't think DW was about steam technology itself. probably being too literal.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast