BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

I'll be releasing my own wargame next year called Primeval Abyssian, it is a pure non-humanoid alien wargame set in another dimension, and will feature all manner of weird SF concepts like reality-bending/existential weaponry.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

I also have one currently in development, the link is in my sig. It's very much historical-based, with an odd time-space disruption and lots of advanced technology to spice things up a bit. You can have Texans at the Alamo with Abrams tanks and the USMC fighting the Mexican Army allied with futuristic EU, or Japanese mecha fighting Cold War Soviet Russia, WWII Germany allied with the Crusaders battling 1967 Israel, or just about any other insane combination you can think up.
    The Krandor 116th Airborne: Flying Arctic Rednecks..IN SPACE!!!
    http://paradoxgaming.intodit.com- Proud seller of time-space disruptions since 2010

Librarian

Is OGRE GMV still going, or has that gaming system gone the way of the dodo?
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Try these:

[url]http://thegamesshed.wordpress.com/2010/06/17/fubar-one-page-sfmodern-rules/[/url]

Elegant in their simplicity.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

I know quite a few people that swear by Two Hour Wargames. have not played any of them myself though.

Mongoose Publishing had the Starship Troopers/ Battlefield Evolution/ World at War rule set that IIRC is still available as PDF. The system has been adapted for use in their new Judge Dread minis game as well, and is free download.

Librarian

+1 for Infinity.
    Their forums are great and very active. The rules and templates are all available for free on their website (and even a really handy wiki of the rules for those quick searches).
    Also many resources for free high quality paper terrain.

And the best part, it's very inexpensive to get in to. Very different game mechanics than most. For example you can shoot during the opponents active turn as they activate (much like the old 'overwatch' in 40k). There is also e/m weapons and special ammunition for both Close Combat and shooting.

Love it!

If you want to do a bit bigger battles, Future War Commander is pretty cool.

Initiate

Stargrunt is a free download company level game with the focus on squad movement with light veh rules
    Last edited by sertorius; 09-10-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Can't go wrong with Battletech. Low buy-in cost, 27 years of fluff and Mech designs, and a robust customization system.

I have to go with Heavy Gear. It has a couple of flavors, Arena and Blitz. Arena is kind of like gladiator fights with teams of gears in an arena. Blitz is armies of gears fighting out on a field. The scale for the game is roughly 12mm (1/144). It uses a solid combined arms approach and the games are won or lost based on objectives met, not model kills. The models are well detailed and there is no such thing as the 'uber model' or 'uber list'. Everything can be countered by anyone, but you have to use good tactics. The system uses alternating activations and there is a reaction system in there using helpd actions. Dream Pod 9 has released several new starter sets and each gives you a good 500 points or more of army plus the rules you need. It has been the only game other than 40k to capture my attention and hold it for over 2 years of regular play. There is a steady flow of new material being released. I can't suggest Heavy Gear enough!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast