BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Initiate

Thumbs up

I think StarGrunt II is a good one i been playing it on and off for years i started out using 25mm then went to 15mm as theres loads of scifi 15mm around now. it plays really well but it is a little counter heavy but it does help with the game flow as you rarely need to look anything up any question sent me a message if you want i can help you with any rule questions and i have loads on my own tank and walker designs

Chaplain

There's also Tomorrow's War.

Squad level small-unit actions from the Ambush Alley people.
    Use any company's minis from 15mm to 28mm.
    It's a "spiritual successor" to SGII (TQ die type and die shift mechanics are similar) as the writers are big fans of it, and of GZG stuff in general.

I'm converting 40k stuff across to TW. Marines play as marines in the fluff are portrayed (3-10 lesser troops per SM, depending on whether D6 or D8). 10 marines are death on two legs. 10 terminators are nigh-unstoppable.

Battle-Brother

Darkson Designs has the nice AE-WWII game if you're looking for something with more of a "pulp" or "Hellboy" feel to it.

why don't you give warpath a try from mantic games?

it's simple and although it has just 2 armylists at the moment,
    it is a great simple game(3 lists if you can get the corporation list).

the rules are free to downlaod, as are the armylists, and you
    could use your 40k models to play the game.

Cheers

My vote goes for Infinity.

Nice miniatures, really original set of rules, cheap...

You just need ten miniatures you can choose form a range of like 300... they are constantly releasing stuff.

Stargrunt II is excellent, free, and isn't tied to a specific company's figs. It has a heavier focus on command and control, and unit morale and training rather than hardware (so the veteran with the rock can take out the newbie with the laser), but it does do powered armour very well. You can play with anywhere from a platoon to a company's worth of figures, and probably more if you have the time.

I'm liking my recent entry into Heavy Gear Blitz after playing it at a local gaming con.

One of the simplest ways to put it is that it's a MUCH more tactical game than 40K; Tabletop Paintball with Giant Robots is the way it was first described to me. You can fire at any time during your movement, so you can lean out of cover, fire off your shot, and duck back in. IIRC, they recommend 50% terrain on the board too.

Plus, terrain is very easy to find for it, since it's 1/144 scale, so you can buy stuff from model train companies and the like.

I'd also recommend Heavy Gear Blitz as I've found it to be a very fun system that rewards tactics and unit synergy plus has some of the most customizable army lists I've ever run into in a points based war game. Plus I like mechs and this game lets you have some very nifty ones without them being absolutely essential to your army choice.

And then of course there's Battletech. If you get the strategic operations book you not only get the rules for quick and easy mass battles that can range through an entire star system but you also get the rules for quick strike. Quick strike, or QS as its often referred to, basically simplifies the record keeping down to a trading card sized sheet that lets you play really fast games. It's also intended to be used with 3D terrain and so you get the double bonus of having your mech miniatures stomping around on a 'normal' game table instead of the original map sheets.

Personally I prefer Heavy Gear but for the last six months the only game I've played has been QS battletech. In fact just last monday we had a huge smashup in which over 100 units were used and we finished it in about five hours.

Another vote for Infinity. The rules are available free to try. The models are great. Gameplay is amazing, and unlike any other sci-fi system I've seen in capturing cinematic skirmishes.

Battle-Brother

I'm a big fan of heavy gear and recently got into Mercs, both are awesome. Best of luck!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast