BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Default What do you play

I was just curious what armies everyone plays and why, what makes that army so awesome to you, what makes it trip your fancy.

For me, when I get the time to build, I am putting together a Tyranid army of epicness, especially after I have gotten to play with them a little bit, its been a lot of fun. I love the play style, its just so neat, I just wanna consume everything MWAHAHAHAHAH, i know im a total dork.

But seriously, what army do you play and why?

I (used to) play a SM salamanders army.

I chose the SM as the guy from my GW center told me it was a faction easy to paint for beginners, with their big armor and their smooth curves. In addition, I rather liked the idea of playing with the elite of the elite, the supersoldiers of the W40K universe, all clad in thick and heavy armor with big and lethal guns.

When it came for me to choose a specific chapter, I decided I wanted one of the first legions, and finally picked the salamanders, because of their reputation of protecting the weak and the defenseless people of the Imperium instead of seeking glory (like those ultra-smurfs).

My army rose to 1400 points when I stopped it. I simply didn't have the time any more to continue playing with it. Furthermore, GW's minis got more expensive with each passing year. When I finally decided to stop playing W40K, I gave some of my army to a couple of friends and sold what was left on E-Bay.

I still keep a few minis (the best painted) as a souvenir and because I wanted to keep a little something of my noble salamanders.

I play Emperor's Children CSM and a accompanying Traitor Guard Force.

Plus orks. Because you got to love orks.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Lockark View Post
    I play Emperor's Children CSM and a accompanying Traitor Guard Force.

Plus orks. Because you got to love orks.

orks are pretty awesome, i mean i have seen some really creative ork models and creations out there, i mean rockin stuff.

I have 3000 points of Eldar and 2000 points of Dark Eldar. Tempted to start collecting Tau.
    Dark Eldar 4000pts, Eldar 2000pts, Dark Angels 2500pts, Tau 2000pts.

Chaplain

Ultramarines- 1st army and when i was that young i just did as GW told me lol,
    then moved onto guard army as i love the idea of massed infantry with heavy tanks,
    then added whitch/deamon hunters to the mix including SoB and GKs just to add a bit of a change to add into my normal armies,
    after that I decided to give blood angels a try and made a sizable force of them
    Im currently creating an admech army to accompany my titan should be quite nice when all finished
    then im going to move onto space wolves but with a lion theme rather than wolf and have them gold rather than dull grey
    Ive also collected just about every other army going but the ones i mentioned are the ones i still own and collect new models for

Shas'o

I started with Tau because I loved how they look. Then started a Chaos Space Marine army to change from a shooty army to a close combat army.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by JxKxR View Post
    I started with Tau because I loved how they look. Then started a Chaos Space Marine army to change from a shooty army to a close combat army.
    yeah, tau seems a lot of fun, im tempted to move on to them after nids. Their tanks are rocking too.

Librarian

By far my largest collection of models is my Apocalypse Chaos force - now roughly 12,000 points worth of combine Chaos Space Marines/Chaos Daemons. I started with Chaos Space Marines because in just about anything I play, I tend to gravitate towards the "men in the mirror", the twisted version of mankind's most powerful defenders. My first buys were a box of Thousand Sons, a box of Khorne Berzerkers, Abaddon, and a fiveman box of terminators and a land raider. I didn't really know where I was going with the army yet, so I went with the stuff that looked the coolest to me.

I still play them because, in terms of playstyle, they're perfect for me. Chaos Space Marines are about overwhelming your opponent, a definite "in your face beatdown" style of play that people tend to underestimate if they don't see maxed Obliterators or two Lash Princes. And I love that. I love being underestimated, just to see the look of confusion on turn 3 that nine-man unit of overpriced Chosen that Outflanked last turn and popped a tank with meltas - which is fine - then had the aspiring champion turn into a Greater Daemon and my Lesser Daemons spawned from the icon, all right in my enemy's flank. I love the fact that this army is dependent on risks and gambles - it perfectly fits the fickle nature of the Gods.

I also have about 3,000 points worth of Necron, that I play because...well, I don't really play them much anymore, but that'll probably change when they get a new codex. I originally picked them up because I thought the Monolith was a *****ing model - even though it's a ***** to actually build - and I loved the thought of Robot Skeletons that never die.

I'm also looking to start Dark Eldar, for three reasons:

Incubi. I love their models so, so, so much. I love the way their swords look, and I can picture them using them to cut space marines in half.

Good army to fight my girlfriend's SLaanesh Daemons with, but the next game play on her side against my friends' Space Marines and Eldar.

Haemonculi. They're like twisted immortal elven **** doctors. In space.
    Let the Galaxy burn.

Librarian

Chaos Demons - because they're so different!

You can almost simplify every other army's paint scheme to "I play blue marines," or "I play red eldar" The diversity of the demons miniture range adds so much to the visual experience of 40k, not to mention fun and challenge in the actual painting. On top of that you have some excellent huge minitures such as Soul Grinders, Demon Princes, Greater Demons, and Blood Crushers which really stand out on the table. Combine that with the fact that they play unlike any other race in the game - not just for the deepstriking aspect - but multiple monsterous creatures, small body count comprised of elite units, and the most badass looking walker in the game and you get a more unique gaming experience than blander races offer. Not to say you can't make one of the other races - like space marines or eldar - unique through the vastness of their unit types (bike/jetbike armies, deathwing/loganwing, drop pods, aspect warriors, etc.) but a vanilla demons army lets you do that without really trying.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast