BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Tyranids

Battle-Brother

Default 2000 Tyranids

Heya all,

There is a tournament coming up in October that I am going to take my Tyranids to. I don't have alot of experience at 2K and can't find a way to spend my last 150 points.

And one more disclaimer before I start. I love gaunts. Lots of them. They are non-negotiable (unless of course you suggest adding more. I'm open to that).

HQ -
    Tyrant - 2x Twin-Linked Devourers, Toxin Sacs, Enhanced Senses, Adrenal Glands (WS), Extended Carapace, Implant Attacks, Shadow in the Warp
    3x Tyrant Guard w/ Lash Whips

Tyrant - Scything Talons, Lash Whip & Bonesword, Warp Field, Wings, Toxin Sacs, Implant Attacks, Adrenal Glands (WS)

Elites -
    9x Warriors - Toxin Sacs, 8x Deathspitters, 1x Barbed Strangler

Troops -
    32 x Gaunts- Without Number, Fleshborers

Heavy -
    3 x Zoanthropes - Warp Blast, Psychic Scream

And with that I have 152 points left to spend. I thought about a Carnifex but all I would be able to afford would be Extended Carapace, Scything Talons, Barbed Strangler and I'm just not sure it would have enough punch.

Recommendations for the last 150? Ideas to clean the list up a bit?

Brother-Sergeant

Your list looks like it might be short on synapse for all those gaunts (you only have 3 sources), as well as anti-tank.

The anti-tank issue really depends upon your local meta game and what you expect to face. I think that fex would be a good purchase for those last 150 points since it can go anti-tank, or anti-infantry at need with that large blast. It might also draw some attention away from your tyrants and warriors. The reason I'd suggest more synapse is to allow your army more "freedom of action" particularly if you play any scenario with widely spaced objectives.

2 easy ways to get more synapse would be:
    Dividing the warriors into 2 units
    Swap psychic scream for synapse on the zoans

As for the gaunts, I like 'em too. In fact, I've been experimenting quite a bit with without number myself. How about dividing your 3 32 strong units into 6 16 strong units? You get MUCH more flexibility when it comes to maneuvre and objective grabbing, you can still concentrate 2-3 broods on one important target, and units of 16 are small enough to die early enough that they respawn in time to do something significant in the game. Any more than that, and I've found they can survive too long- if that makes sense. If you haven't played with gaunts much lately, then I would also suggest treating them as a shooting unit more than as a CC unit, especially against marines and other 3+/2+ save units.

Otherwise, play what you feel comfortable with! Oh, and add flesh hooks to those tyrants!!!

Lux
    Last edited by Lux; 08-28-2009 at 08:08 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

Why not try splitting up the warriors into 2 squads to maxamize mobility. Possibly add an additional one to even both out at 5, since they are not CC oriented it seems like this would be an appropriate choice. That should leave you enough to build an elite carnifex.
    Come all you Xeno scum and fallen heretics! Come face the one true might of the universe and wither under the Golden Throne's gaze!

Battle-Brother

Thanks for the feedback.

I was thinking the Psychic Scream would stack the effectiveness of both Shadow in the Warp and The Horror. Not to mention almost guaranteeing breaks when my Tyrant only wins combat by 1 or 2 points but I definitely see the merits of Synapse.

Would splitting the Warriors into two 5 man squads (4 Deathspitters, 1 Barbed Strangler) like Vince suggested do away with the need for swapping Psychic Scream to Synapse.

And I like the Carnifex idea. Seems like a great back up / fire magnet to distract people.

I also see the merit in 6 x 16 instead of 3 x 32 but I was thinking that from a strictly rulebook perspective (not sure what the ACTUAL scenarios will be) but I don't really need the units to get out of my deployment zone once they come back. I'm not looking for Without Number to get them back into the fight but to jump onto and lurk on objectives in my backfield.

The general strategy is to surge forward and ignore the objectives behind me. Then once it gets late (turn 5 or 6) the Gaunts cycle back, run and lurk onto the objectives and hopefully seal me the victory.

The problem with the gaunts coming back on to claim objectives is that you need backfield synapse in order to do this, otherwise you're testing on a leadership of 5 every time you want to move them, and if you fail, they're running straight back off the table.

The zoanthropes are ideal for that role but need to have synapse added to do that.

*edit* typos *edit*

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Nidnub View Post
    The problem with the gaunts coming back on to claim objectives is that you need backfield synapse in order to do this, otherwise you're testing on a leadership of 5 every time you want to move them, and if you fail, they're running straight back off the table.

The zoanthropes are ideal for that role but need to have synapse added to do that.

*edit* typos *edit*
    Actually the Gaunts will run towards the nearest Synapse creature. And since that would always be in their deployment zone it's not a big deal. And if all of my Synapse has been wiped out, then it simply doesn't matter what the Gaunts can or can't do, I've lost.

And to add on another question, what would Gaunts do when coming on the board without a Synapse creature being within 12" of a board edge?

Would the Gaunts function normally as the Synapse-less check would have occurred while they were still off the board? Or would I have to check on their Ld before moving them on with the result determining whether they run 2D6" towards the nearest Synapse creature or move them normally and starting with the following turn make the tests?

They would function normally as at the start of the movement phase they would be off the board.

Point taken on the back field synapse I guess, although I'd still prefer to move 6" and run up to 6" than to randomly move 2d6" directly towards the nearest synapse, It could work if you bring them on deliberately in location to have the objective between yourself and the nearest synape however isn't ideal.

I've found the while it's fine and dandy to give Zoanthropes Psychic Scream or Warp Blast, you HAVE to give them Synapse if you're running Gaunt heavy.

Also, as others have said, splitting them up into smaller squads would give you more flexibility; Generally, I run with 3 squads Without Number (10 spinefists with toxin sacs) to capture closer objectives (placing them near your board edge is important...) and 45 hormagaunts to rush across to do some damage to transports (and other key units). You could easily replace out the hormagaunts with your own flavor of gaunt, but either way having smaller squads means that if they get wiped, they'll come back full strength that much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by npullan View Post
    The general strategy is to surge forward and ignore the objectives behind me. Then once it gets late (turn 5 or 6) the Gaunts cycle back, run and lurk onto the objectives and hopefully seal me the victory.
    Lurking Gaunts do not count as scoring. (It's in the Codex)

Veteran-Sergeant

Lots of good advice so far. I play at the local store against the BoLS guys and have gleaned a few insights myself:

I'll reiterate that large broods are unlikely to die completely, and if they don't die by turn four (five at the latest) you've wasted the points spent on WoN. When I absolutely want a unit of guants to die so I can secure a backfield objective later in the game, I keep mine at around 10-16 models. It's big enough to do a little damage, get killed, and still survive some shooting while holding its objective.

At Ard Boys one unit of guants was killed three times (and not for kill points). That's a lot of enemy shooting that serves no real purpose!

When a WoN brood comes back on the table, it does NOT have to run towards synapse--that's only when falling back (and assuming there's synapse on the table). It simply enters play like any other unit would walking on from the long edge--move and run. Also, as has been said, on the turn it comes back on it does NOT have to test for IB, and therefore is totally reliable that turn for holding an objective outside of synapse range. Still, have synapse nearby if at all possible.

Consider giving your warriors extended carapace; they'll live much longer with 4+ saves.

Lashwhip/bonesword? Very few people use it anymore. I'm wondering what your thoughts are about it.
    Likewise for Shadow in the Warp. As I understand it, SitW does not interact with Psychic Scream at all, and has very limited use against Psyker-heavy armies like Deamon- or Witchhunters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast