BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IG Vets

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitzel View Post
    I'm slowly easing myself into a IG list and at the moment am working on my first squad of Vetrans.
    Currently I've got the following:

GySgt Harker (Not Sgt, freaking GySgt)
    Flamer
    Flamer
    Flamer
    Demo Man
    Shotguns

I decided to focus on anti-infantry rather than anti-vehicle. I figure if I'm gonna try to kill a tank, and if these guys are still alive to do so, I'll use their melta bombs from the Demo doctrine.

I'll probably melta out the rest of my squads as I build them over time.

C/C?
    Why waste a relatively good BS on flamers? Dedicate a Platoon Command Squad to flamer duty if you want to torch stuff.

Otherwise, it depends on what you're mounted them in, how you're deploying them, and what army you're fighting.

Harker would be good with a Vet squad that has special weapons as opposed to heavy weapons since they could all move and shoot. With Harker in the mix, I think I'd be fielding Grenade launchers against non-MEQ and Plasma for MEQ armies (assuming you're going to use them against infantry).
    I don't think opponent's coversaves should be as much of a concern if you have them mounted in a chimera or valk/ven since you will likely have a good mobility to get into a good position before firing.

Scout

Default hey

yea IG Vets are disgusting i think one of the best units in the IG army IMO

The more I think about it, the flamers really aren't gonna work... Bah.
    I just dread doing the 3x melta build every one seems to be raving about. I want to try to figure some other cost effective tactic to build my army around rather than melta spam.
    Plasma does seem rather tempting though.... Hmmm...
    Check it: http://hotschnitzel.blogspot.com/

The more I think about it, the flamers really aren't gonna work... Bah.
    I just dread doing the 3x melta build every one seems to be raving about. I want to try to figure some other cost effective tactic to build my army around rather than melta spam.
    Plasma does seem rather tempting though.... Hmmm...
    I've wholeheartedly embraced the melta vet/chimera spam with the new book. Its too awesome to turn down! Although Plasma guns arnt a bad choice for these guys thanks to their BS4. Due to the high cost of plasma in the new codex I only trust it to my BS4 guardsmen. Leave Flamers and Grenade Launchers to the BS3 Grunts.

Grenade Launchers on vets or HQ command squads can be cheap and fairly points effective way at taking down MC's that don't have a 2+ save tho. Not quite as effective as plasma but a heck of a lot cheaper.
    letsagetabitarockin!

Scout

GySgt Harker (Not Sgt, freaking GySgt)
    HooAH!

As regards the squad, flamers seem like a no-no (you've already reached this conclusion) for all the stated reasons: flamers fail to take advantage of the BS of the squad.
    I do agree with RogueGarou that shotguns might also be a good way to go with those troopers not armed with basic weapons; but unless you're willing to cull them out of scout hands (and shaving off that plastic's a real pain in the arse...), then it might be prohibitive.
    I wouldn't necessarily give them lasguns...it's really down to choice, but here's what I'd do: if you're going to give them melta special weapons, then arm the troops with shotguns. If plasma guns for specials, then lasguns for grunts. Stack Assault weapons with Assault weapons; and Rapid Fire weapons with Rapid Fire weapons. If you combine the two, you'll be taking the charge all the time...and yes, given the way the game plays now, I assume that assaults will happen. Having Assault weapons as your squad specials and longarms gives you the ability to launch assaults and keep up the fire...though it is pretty bad misappropriation of a meltagun...

Quote Originally Posted by mono View Post
    HooAH!

As regards the squad, flamers seem like a no-no (you've already reached this conclusion) for all the stated reasons: flamers fail to take advantage of the BS of the squad.
    I do agree with RogueGarou that shotguns might also be a good way to go with those troopers not armed with basic weapons; but unless you're willing to cull them out of scout hands (and shaving off that plastic's a real pain in the arse...), then it might be prohibitive.
    I wouldn't necessarily give them lasguns...it's really down to choice, but here's what I'd do: if you're going to give them melta special weapons, then arm the troops with shotguns. If plasma guns for specials, then lasguns for grunts. Stack Assault weapons with Assault weapons; and Rapid Fire weapons with Rapid Fire weapons. If you combine the two, you'll be taking the charge all the time...and yes, given the way the game plays now, I assume that assaults will happen. Having Assault weapons as your squad specials and longarms gives you the ability to launch assaults and keep up the fire...though it is pretty bad misappropriation of a meltagun...
    Hooah? Choking on something? OohRah!

Converting shotties is a bit of a pain, but its not thaaat bad. Check out my Afriel Strain thread, thats how my Vet Squad is currently looking.
    Just got in more scouts and Catachans today. Time to finish my squad. Three melta gunners coming up!
    Check it: http://hotschnitzel.blogspot.com/

Americans.........
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

My ideal setup would be like this:

Harker
    3x Grenade Launchers
    Autocannon Team
    Forward Sentries

180 points for an infiltrating unit with a 2+ cover save and great firepower! They can shoot up infantry and light vehicles with ease and can be a real pain to get rid of with Stealth and Camo Cloaks working together. Huge annoyance for a reasonable price IMO.
    Last edited by slobulous; 10-14-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Battle-Brother

I am liking this thread. I have an issue where I own one chimera and plan on using it for Commissar Yarrick and a retinue of 5 GK's. SO now i have my vets.. which used to ride in it with their meltas. After reading this thread.. i am thinking of using the vets x 3 Plasmas and Harker.

I am hoping this will help them with their lack of mobility... not sure if i want to outflank them or just infiltrate them...

i guess i need to play test them and see where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by slobulous View Post
    My ideal setup would be like this:

Harker
    3x Grenade Launchers
    Autocannon Team
    Forward Sentries

180 points for an infiltrating unit with a 2+ cover save and great firepower! They can shoot up infantry and light vehicles with ease and can be a real pain to get rid of with Stealth and Camo Cloaks working together. Huge annoyance for a reasonable price IMO.
    Not going to work. Stealth and Camo-Cloaks don't stack, because Camo Cloaks give Stealth. You're paying twice for the same ability.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast