BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default The Legion of Taurus - a Chaos Space Marine army

Hello all!

Iif you've ever visited [URL="http://s3.zetaboards.com/The_Ammobunker/index/"]The Ammobunker[/URL] or [URL="http://bolterandchainsword.com/"]Bolter and Chainsword[/URL], you may have come across this army. If you haven't, may I introduce my Chaos Space Marine army:

The LEGION OF TAURUS

I've been working on this army since December 2007, and though it has been slow developing, I'm taking my time because a) I want an army that is painted to the best of my abilities, and b) they have a very detailed back story that I've been developing as I've slowly been putting the army together.

[URL="http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/Marine_16208.jpg"]A Legion of Taurus marine.[/URL]

I'll start by saying that the colour scheme, and the motif of having the down-turned, forward pointing horns, was not my idea - several years ago I used to play regularly against one of my best mates who was an awesome painter with a Chaos Marine army. It was a mix Khornate units and Undivided stuff, and the latter was painted in a lustrous Brass/Bronze type scheme. He only converted one of his marines to have down-turned horns, but this colour scheme and this conversion sruck me as the awesome basis for a unique Chaos army...

I started off by making a Combat Patrol size force, as a way of developing the conversion and painting techniques that would be a central part of making this army. I also added a couple of spawn (dubbed 'The Thing of Madness' and the 'Spinesect') - pretty useless for gaming, but lots of fun to make!

As I was making this army, and devloping their story, I had the idea of using it as a basis of a 40k campaign at my local gaming club. A Narrative-lead campaign, 'The Xergev Prosecution' had an Imperial force hunting the Legion of Taurus to a deserted mining world in order to destroy them. By the time the Campaing started earlier this year I'd got just over 1,000 points painted:

The campaign was an Imperial victory, but in terms of the Legion of Taurus' story, this didn't matter: they had instigated the war on Xergev as an ellaborate ritual to revive their true Master - an ancient and powerful Daemon that had once ruled an Empire before the time of the Imperium: TAURAN.

By the time the campaign had ended I had added some more units to it, but not had the time to paint them all. Here's a group shot I took a few weeks ago:

I'm nowhere near finished with this army - eventually it'll have converted Plague Marines, Thousand Sons, Obliterators, and Raptors.

But currently I am working on two more squads of Terminators (Planetstrike here we come!), and a BFG fleet to accompany this army.

Thanks for looking!

Chaplain

Very nice, very well done, the downturned horns thing is a very simple but very unique and effective little trademark, and the paintjob is very nice. I fully approve of the way your force grew via a narrative campaign, and I totally recommend you do that BFG fleet. It's cheap, easy, and really fun (there's my BFG propaganda spiel for the day).
    Proud Battlefleet Gothic evangelist. You got BFG questions? Just ask!
    Check out my fancy BoLS user blog for stories, ideas, and army lists!

Battle-Brother

Thanks The Pov You'll be glad to see that I've got these cruisers ready to paint:

Nice looking army loveing the colour scheme :0)

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by firestorm View Post
    Thanks The Pov You'll be glad to see that I've got these cruisers ready to paint:

Very sweet. I especially like the way you mix Imperial and Chaos ships, gives the impression the ships turned to chaos relatively recently.
    Proud Battlefleet Gothic evangelist. You got BFG questions? Just ask!
    Check out my fancy BoLS user blog for stories, ideas, and army lists!

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear9152 View Post
    Nice looking army loveing the colour scheme :0)
    Thanks very much Teddybear!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePov View Post
    Very sweet. I especially like the way you mix Imperial and Chaos ships, gives the impression the ships turned to chaos relatively recently.
    Thanks very much, that was exactly the impression I was going for

I've started painting these so I'll post pics showing their progress soon.

Looks awesome, I look forward to seeing the brass scorpian you had hiding in the back being done.

Awesome, love the use of the balrog and bloodletter conversions, the whoke army has a nice different feel to it and encourages me to post a thread about my word bearers.

looking good.... cant wait to see that scorpion painted!

Veteran-Sergeant

so far so good .