BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Dark Angels - Guardians of the Covenant

So when I first started 40k the first thing I bought was the new Space Hulk and AoBR set from my FLGS and traded for a 2nd Space Marine set from the AoBR set. My intention was to have a massive amount of termies on the table and when I found out about Deathwing and being able to take termies as troop and elite choices I jumped at it.

Then I found out how much the DA codex sucked so I dropped the idea altogether.

But now, I got 20+ termies and Deathwing might just be plausible! So I've made a 1525pt list that I want to stretch to 1850/2000, but what other units would work well in support?
    So, here it goes:

Belial (lightning claws loadout since he can be TH/SS or SB/PS or LC's)
    Termie librarian w/ combi-melta

Termie squad 1 - 3x TH/SS, 1x Chainfist, 1x Hvy Flamer+PF - (one of the TH/SS has the Chapter banner for the +1 attack and the Chainfist guy is from Space hulk, he'll be the Apothecary)
    Termie Squad 2 - 2x TH/SS, 1x LC+CML, 2x SB/PF
    Termie Squad 3 - 2x TH/SS, 1x LC+CML, 2x SB/PF
    Termie Squad 4 - 2x TH/SS, 1x SB/PW, 1x SB/PF, 1x AssltCan/PF

Land Raider Crusader

Total Points: 1525

I'm probably generalizing my squads too much instead of specializing but I do intend to use the DW assault rule so am somewhat worried about not getting the right squad in at the right moment. My intent was to start the command squad + libby and Belial int the LRC to charge across the board turn one while 2 sqauds teleport in and the 4th comes in later as reserves. So they could all do thier share of heavy lifting and none are particularily shooty nor amazingly assaulty - they can all do a little of each as required. I am somewhat limited on load out as I am not really wanting to buy more termie weapons - though i do have 2 more AssCans and 1x each hvy flame and CML. I could covert some chainfist in there, but I'd have to convert Space Hulk termies as all the StormBolter/PF termies are from Space Hulk.

I am hoping that I am correct in thinking the I5 A3 libby with old school psychic hood is a good addition. I certainly am not taking him to use the DA psychic powers.

The Space Hulk dudes should look good in my Guardians of the Cov. colors - gunmetal and red. I've 'de-Blooded' them to look more like generic Space Marines. I can use them with my Knights of Blood BA army too since they have the same colors. Both are Successor chapters right out of the books, btw.
    Last edited by Eusebius Rex; 01-18-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Initiate

Apologies in advance for wall of text, but I didn't see anyone giving you a hand.

In terms of support, depends on if you're going Deathwing or just like the idea of scoring Terminators. If you're going pure Deathwing, you are limited to the following units:

Belial
    HQs who can take Terminator armor (Libby, Interrogator-Chaplain)
    Deathwing Terminators
    Dreadnoughts (with Venerable upgrade technically)
    Land Raiders of either variant

Less pure version you can add other tanks without much griping. Start to add other types of units and now you're in Multiwing territory.

In pure DW, Dreadnoughts have filled a particular hole in firepower for me. TL-Las and ML make what I fondly refer to as a "sniper dread" and mine has knocked out his fair share of enemy tanks for me. Alternatively, whenever I see 250 points or more left over, I always consider another Land Raider. Again, a normal Lascannon LR in your particular situation to fill a pretty noticeable lack of anti-tank. It's not uncommon to see one LR in most people's list from 1500-2000 pts, but I find people tend to get nervous when they see two.

For Multiwing, Deathwing/Ravenwing are a great combo together. In fact, they are meant to work together as Ravenwing bikes have teleport homers built into them. This allows you to not have to roll scatter for your Terminators as long as they drop within 6" of a bike. In addition, they have the Scout special rule (although they can't Turbo Boost like some other codices bikers...). Nevertheless, you can have your two DWA Terminator squads 18" off your front deployment line without rolling for scatter when they come in on turn 1. As someone who is planning on using the DWA rule, bikers will be your friend. Speeders are also great additions, especially with the recent update to their Typhoon missle launcher load out. Either bikers or speeders or both will add a fast response element to your currently rather slow and lumbering army.

Otherwise you have your standard Predators, Vindicators, Devastator squads. All fill roles in a standard army, but I tend to shy away from the standard stuff when playing the Sons of the Lion. I prefer to focus on what makes us unique but that's not for everyone.

To answer some of your questions, in terms of not getting the right squad in at the right time: 3 of your 4 squads will be on the board on turn 1, so don't worry about that. The last squad is in the hands of fate, but you will know as soon as you declare those 3 squads in reserve when 2 of them are coming in (on turn 1).

I'm worried that your squads are too "generalized" as you put it, but that's as simple as playtesting the list and moving guys around. Trade a couple SB/PF with TH/SS from two different squads and now you have one squad more heavily geared towards shooting and one more assaulty. No big deal.

Regarding why you're taking a librarian...I have to caution you. We may have just got the official FAQ that gives us our standard armory, but any fair minded individual at the FLGS has been letting us use those since the SM codex came out. It's always been kind of implicitly understood that, yes we get standard armory and no, our psychic hoods aren't unlimited range. I feel that breaking that gentleman's agreement now that we've been officially FAQ'd would be in bad taste. Just a warning, I have a feeling that I'm not the only one who will feel that way. If you don't want to use the Libby for his powers, may I suggest an Int-Chappy? Rerolls to hit on the charge is nothing to sneeze at.

I hope I was able to help in some way.