BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

I'm pushing myself to finish the Battlewagon - longest project ever. The kannon is finished - here's the rest of the painting progression of the reds and the metals done.

I know he photos of the 50/50 Red Gore/Blood Red and the Blood Red look nearly identical, red is a bugger to correct for in PS and I can't quite get it right - suffice to say there's a subtle difference in real life.

Here's where the big guy sits. This leaves the Zzap gun (which I may do much later, never field it with one), the spikey ram, and finishing up the Kill Kannon and details of that turret. Oh yeah, and the glyph on the topside of the 'ard case. Will see if it's done by Christmas!

And the two projects I've got going simultaneously in one shot. Whew!

Later!

Chaplain

VROOOOM! VROOOOM!

Got the Dakka done on the bikers this weekend and here's how I did them for all of you keeping track at home.

Here's the mob all together and glued. I've Dulcoted them since some of my previous washes and glazes we a bit sticky so now they're all sealed up. I still have the detailing like the handlebar wraps and gauges to finish up before basing, which should be pretty quick. Then it's on to the Boyz/Nobz! Yay!

Later!

Chaplain

Did some work on the bases last night - and took pictures too - Yay! Everyone loves pictures, right? Since the bases already wonderfully come textured, I'm painting this to be "close" to the rest of my army's bases. Sandy and grassy.

Here's the progression from the primed resin base...

The metals were done after that and turned out like this.

I don't want the base to be too bright and detract from the bike. Most of the colors will remain fairly muted as I want the bike to be the focal point and "support" the bike (heh).

In a hurry to get things done, I attached the bikes before flocking, hate it when I do that but what are ya gonna do? I'll flock the base and finish off the detail parts like the handlebar wraps and the dashboard gauges next. I did pin the models to give them support and strength.

VROOOOM!

While the bikes were drying on their bases, I started the boyz legs by stickin' them down to bases with poster tack to make'm easier to handle and basing the pants in GW's Foundation Calthan Brown.

I'm getting excited to get to making the upper halves after painting and attaching the legs to the bikes. The green of the grass and the skin tones I use will really make these bikers pop (at least I think) against the reds and muted tones. And the magnetizing parts pretty cool too..

Later!

Chaplain

Very impressive. Keep 'em coming.

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com

Chaplain

Thanks Oni - I'll try to keep things moving along!

Here's the bikes finished. The details are painted and I've intermittenly flocked the bases. The green already adds an extra level of interest without detracting - it breaks up the boredom of dark red and metals with the pop of color nicely. The same effect should carry through when I paint the boyz/nobz - the muted colros fo the clothing and weapons offset by the brightness of the skin.

Like any sharp eyed BIg Mek looking to loot anything and everything, I love heading down to the local thrift stores. Some of my best finds (especially for the dollar) are found here. The other day I came across this for $1 (it was 50% off!). The are will make a nice addition to a stompa, or both parts could easily be used as the basis for a ram and grabba klaw for a Skullhammer variant. I've got a whole storage bin full of small things like this I've picked up and will eventually do something with.

Later!

Very nice work on these.
    I look forward to seeing what you have next.

Chaplain

Next!

I finally did the nob biker bodies tonight. Magnetizing the torsos, picking all the parts so they all look different, it was a little tricky figuring out how to create the right arms for the left-hand weapon nobs (which, for my work here, are all the PK nobs) and I'll show how I did it.

I usd this nob from the Black Reach set showing the cuts I made...)I have a ton of tehse guys so I didn't feel bad "sacrificing" three of them for this, besides, it was a clean cut)

This particular nobs hand matches the angle of the handlebar grips supplied with the biker nob from the bikes box. Not too shabby. Shave down the shoota grip, drill out the handle space and slip some plasticard tubing in there. I didn't trim this down until I got them on the models.

Now I know this isn't perfect,and there were some suggestions of pinning, but I think I'm going to call this close enough. I'll need to build out the end cap of the grip and put a strip over the finger to look like some kind of breaking device but in general, I think it's pretty good for now. Here's what it looks like in place now.

I put all the legs on to give a general idea/look at what they're look like when they're all put together. Please note though that much of it isn't lining up as I didn't snap the legs all the way into place in the bikes. I've learned that some of the weapon interfere with the boot straps and I'll shave them off when I decide which legs will go on which bike so there's some alignment issues that will be solved in final assembly. This also shows the matching regular boyz bodeis that can be used as well.

Well, that's enough for me tonight, I'm going to get some sleep.

later!
    http://www.bigshoota.com
    http://www.waaaghfest.com/

Librarian

AWESOME!!!

Definatly gonna try out your red tutorial.
    "STUPIDITY, If your going to do it, go for GOLD!"

Chaplain

It doesn't look like it from the photos but I spent most of the day working on the bikers. At least a post to show progress of some sort. The legs are finished and glued down to the bikes. I also got the bodies primed and half way through the greens for the skin, through the Dark Angels wash. Only the retouching of the Goblin Green and the highlights of Scorpion Green.

Here's the situation as of tonight...

It seems like it's taking forever, similar to the 40 Slugga Boyz I did earlier this year (never again). Although this time I think it's because I'm excited to do one of these...

Yep, one of them is the Gazghkull I started in Jan. The other two are Snikrot and Zagstruk. I think I might force myslef to finish Gazzy and use Zagstruk as the reward.

After that, depending on when/if Uberdark and I have our Wazzdakka Challange, I think I'll finally paint the burnas I've had siting around here fro years in white primer. They're looking pretty fun too!

Later!
    http://www.bigshoota.com
    http://www.waaaghfest.com/

Librarian

Good luck and looking forward to all of it.
    "STUPIDITY, If your going to do it, go for GOLD!"

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast