BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The Dark Mechanic

I wrote a letter to forgeworld , first time ever...
    Wrong topic thread I'm afraid. This one has nothing to do with Forge World. LOL.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

I guess Cease and Desist orders were given, but were not listened too. Well I wish Chapterstuidos best of luck.
    The only people who is going to win out of this is the lawyers though.

Sorry if this is old news, it was new to me, and I didn't see it on the forums. Just trying to scroll through BoLS, is a bit of a hassel for me. For some reason, it takes a long time to load on my laptop while other sites are fast.

Again, I apoligze for brining this up.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

If it's new information to you, then it is news to you. It is subjective. There is no official time limit on when news becomes 'old news'. Pedants...
    Anyway, Chapterhouse, I reckon it's those people you upset with your mycetic 'vagina' that grassed you up...

Chapter House is in deep with this one...

But I guess it is kind of normal. I didn't know CHS before, and when I checked their website, I literally thought this company was a subsidiary of GW like Forge World.
    They literally STATED in their website that their models were based on the W40K universe; and they used GW's trademarks (Space marines, tyranids, ...) to define their products, as well as displaying some of GW's models along their own products for scale and display purposes!
    They should have seen this one coming. I hate to say this, but GW is probably right to start legal actions against CHS.

Finally, I really don't like the fact that CHS came asking for money on this forum. I know legal fees are frigging expensive, but I think it's wrong to ask for donations to fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Unzuul the Lascivious View Post
    Anyway, Chapterhouse, I reckon it's those people you upset with your mycetic 'vagina' that grassed you up...
    Hey, at least we should give credit to CHS for creating this awesome space mycetic vagina! This model really made me laugh, FW should release this model!

First-Captain

I doubt u can really copy right the term space marine.

Wouldnt then GW be able to sue the usa when they make a space branch of the marines?
    Or is copyright based on context.
    For the Greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Scorpion View Post
    News about GW suing Chapterhouse has been on the gaming forums since within a week of the court filing, including on this very forum. This is "old" news, which therefore is contrary to the meaning of the word, "news".

Here are links from roughly three weeks ago on this topic, including a link to a topic on this forum:
    - [url]http://dockets.justia.com/docket/illinois/ilndce/1:2010cv08103/250791/[/url]
    - [url]http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/336131.page[/url]
    - [url]http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2010/12/wargames-legalwatch-games-workshop-vs.html[/url]
    - [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12287&highlight=chapterhouse[/url]

Wow just because you are on here and other forums WAY more than me does not mean you have to be so mean spirited in your reply. Sorry I do not have time to troll forums that much.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    I doubt u can really copy right the term space marine.
    Yes, I agree with you, I was just taking the term Space marine as an example. GW, as a plaintiff, stated that CHS had used several of its copyrights, among them were various space marine chapters (CHS offers various shoulder pads for SM chapters).

But still, if I was to summarise the situation, I would simply say that the W40K universe was entirely created and designed by GW. A such, other companies should not be allowed to release minis which are directly connected to this si-fi universe without GW's authorisation. I think the general situation is as simple as that.

The problem is that CHS and other companies have started to tread on GW's hunting ground. I don't think any of them poses a true threat to GW as a whole, but they are certainly annoying GW (a bit like a hormagaunt would annoy a warlord titan by biting its ceramite feet). Since CHS is the most vulnerable of these small companies at the moment, GW decided to smash this annoyance aside with a blast of its Volcanno Cannon: its copyright! (kaboom)

You know, I guess I just don't understand the footing that GW is standing on. Look at the automotive industry, car companies don't sue part companies because they make parts that work with their cars. The part companies don't have to hide the fact that their part works with such and such car model. Maybe I understand because he used iconography that was copyrighted, but there's a huge paragraph at the bottom of the website that states there is no affiliation and he doesn't own any copyrights.

The Dark Mechanic

Wow just because you are on here and other forums WAY more than me does not mean you have to be so mean spirited in your reply. Sorry I do not have time to troll forums that much.
    Most forums would have closed this thread within minutes as a duplicate since there's already a recent thread for this topic on this forum. It's only because things seem to be a bit "looser" here, maybe because there are less MODS than on most forums, that superfluous threads like this one continue to exist here.

"Trawling" as in fishing around for info or "trolling"? Trolling on forums has an entirely different meaning when used in regards to Internet forums. Here are two farily concise definitions from [url]http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=forum+troll[/url]

1) Someone who gets pleasure by typing annoying/controversial/offensive words at strangers on internet forums, for them to read.

1) A forum troll is someone who actively watches a forum. Not to be confused with a lurker, or just a forum frequenter, the troll annoys, pesters, and generally insults any thread they open.

In other words, Trolls deliberately incite dischord by posting insults, baiting people with inflammatory comments on controversial topics, etc. Most Warhammer forums, including this one, do not allow "trolling" and have Moderators to enforce it.
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 01-20-2011 at 09:11 AM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Soam View Post
    You know, I guess I just don't understand the footing that GW is standing on. Look at the automotive industry, car companies don't sue part companies because they make parts that work with their cars. The part companies don't have to hide the fact that their part works with such and such car model. Maybe I understand because he used iconography that was copyrighted, but there's a huge paragraph at the bottom of the website that states there is no affiliation and he doesn't own any copyrights.
    CHS didn't have to hide the fact that the parts they make could work with GW models, what they shouldn't have done is begin selling their products using GW Trademarks- it doesn't matter if you put a 'No Affiliation' declaration, that means bugger all really.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast