BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Charge in blindly with more than they can shoot at. You can beat both parking lots and Chimera trains this way.

I run a ten vehicle list with Vect. Depending on deployment I can have everything within assault range on the top of turn one.

The key is prioritizing. That manticore may look scary, but Chimeras are easier kill points plus if it is objective based the squishy guys inside dying will not help your opponent. Can you imagine having your opponent's entire army on your side of the board before you even roll a dice? It is too much to deal with. They collapse. High risk strategy, but huge reward.

Chaplain

How the IG stops Dark Eldar in an assault.

Your armoured units form a line abreast across the field. In front is an veteran infantry screen armed with plasma and or melta guns. At least 3 squads who provide a barrier to DE assault.

The infantry screen will not last 5 seconds once the DE hit the line. However, having slaughtered them, the DE are now out of their vehicles and standing 6" away from a big gun line with no chance of assaulting before at least one round of pie templates, Las Cannon, multi lasers and heavy bolters.

Who would your money be on?

p.s. If you are light on for points replace Vets with conscripts or penal legion troops.
    Last edited by Da Gargoyle; 01-29-2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: add post script

Chapter-Master

Charge in blindly with more than they can shoot at. You can beat both parking lots and Chimera trains this way.
    This has to be the worst idea ever when facing down the IG - especially while using DE who are neither tough nor voluminous.

Remember, no matter how many guys you bring, the IG bring three times as many flashlights.

Battle-Brother

Bring Wyches in CC with the tanks , and by the way try to bring a lot of them.

It can work . Shield your raiders or take a portal .
    Its a bit tricky to do but it works .
    And jetbikes to haunt the infantry

Nightsheilds and flickerfields help this is true. Generally you can severely limit any range 36" weapons coming from tanks, although autocannons and lascannons will still tear you down faster than you total of lances can keep up.

What I have found to be very important against mech guard is to have a strong ground presence. Generally this means 40 or 60 warriors, each 20man squad accompanied by a haemoculi. It doesn't really matter what this squad does other than to spread out and sit in cover on or near an objective all game. I like to give mine lances so they can maybe get a stunned or shaken result at one point in the game.

Even with guards firepower, these warrior squads are all but immune to shooting. Each 20man squad will take several turns of firepower to actually kill, and will almost be impossible to get rid of by shooting without a psycher battle squad to make them break and run. The biggest weakness of this squad is getting assaulted, and IG does not do that as well as de does so you will not have to worry about that.

Having 2-3 ace in the hole squads that you know are at least giving you a very high chance to tie just by being there will lets you focus the rest of your army on disrupting the advance (if any) from the enemy tanks and from reserve you should have some skimmers coming in to contest in later turns.

Well if that's the way IG wants to play, I only have one thing to say.

Always bet on Duke.

i would suggest alot of kabalites in raiders and a archon with a webway portal. put two squads of wyches in reserve. on first turn shoot your archon as far forward as you can and remain in cover also move your other raiders up in cover. set your self up for a epic second round assualt.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    This has to be the worst idea ever when facing down the IG - especially while using DE who are neither tough nor voluminous.
    With some armies it's the only way. The IG can blow away most armies in one or two turns if they get the chance, and will win long range shooting matches. They break if you can get close, however. Even with bubble-wraps, if you can get into their line you have a shot at winning.

In every game I've played against IG, I was losing badly until I managed to make it into his lines, and then the game turned around. Even with triple plasma vets and the like jumping out and shooting up my units, you can put enough pressure on him that he can't go for objectives, and take his army apart bit by bit.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post

Remember, no matter how many guys you bring, the IG bring three times as many flashlights.
    With Dark Lance spam you can stop their scary things from shooting for a turn at the very least. If they have anything on foot via deployment, or a transport gets popped, you kill it (especially if their Commissar is hanging out as you can stop him from giving orders). The idea is that you throw so much stuff at them they can not deal with it.

Yes, things will die, but any match up for DE against IG will have death. This way all your army is in their space right away (ie better than a webway portal) and the control of the board is in your favor (better than sitting back and trying to outshoot. Once your momentum gets going they can't stop you.

EDIT-Made a 1850 list that has 12 vehicles. Even IG can not Anti-Tank that. Factor in 27 dark light weapons and six mobile troops; you can quickly dismount their army/prevent their big guns from shooting plus you have so much maneuverability and speed that you control the rest of the game.
    Last edited by L'Etat Cest Moi; 02-13-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Etat Cest Moi View Post
    With Dark Lance spam you can stop their scary things from shooting for a turn at the very least. If they have anything on foot via deployment, or a transport gets popped, you kill it (especially if their Commissar is hanging out as you can stop him from giving orders). The idea is that you throw so much stuff at them they can not deal with it.

Yes, things will die, but any match up for DE against IG will have death. This way all your army is in their space right away (ie better than a webway portal) and the control of the board is in your favor (better than sitting back and trying to outshoot. Once your momentum gets going they can't stop you.

EDIT-Made a 1850 list that has 12 vehicles. Even IG can not Anti-Tank that. Factor in 27 dark light weapons and six mobile troops; you can quickly dismount their army/prevent their big guns from shooting plus you have so much maneuverability and speed that you control the rest of the game.
    Why would you use more vehicles than neccesary against IG? Dark eldar vehicles are horribly matched against Guard.

At 1850, expect at least half of your vehicles to be destroyed on the first turn. Expect the other half to be shaken / stunned. We are talking about the guard with tanks that have 29 str 5 shots on the move and hundreds of str 5 / 6 backup shots to make sure everything within 30(36)" feels the pain.

Replace those small warrior + transport squads with 20 warrior + haemoc and IG just got some serious problems. While blowing up an entire squad in their transport from one heavy bolter is easy, cleaning up 60+ fnp warriors in cover across the board is a huge problem for IG.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast