BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran-Sergeant

Thanks Pendragon - the assault on black reach dread is an unlovable lump of static. I thought it would be the best start to project dreadnought but in fact it has been a much more complicated conversion than either of the ones from the venerable / ironclad kits. I'm pleased I managed to get that much motion into the thing.
    I mentioned previously that I'd run into the problem of the venerable and black reach dreds having different sized arm lugs, I found this solution" [url]http://paintpotprocrastinator.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/dreadnought-arm-modification.html[/url]
    used it on the dccw arm above and, perfect - held by friction. I added a magnet behind the 'plate' or cover to grip onto the metal spacer.

Veteran-Sergeant

I completed the 2nd Siege Dred who is currently called Stompy -the Black Reach one is now know as Stumpy. I'm sketching out who the occupant is of each of my Dreds, to help create their heraldry which each dred will display and their awards/ insignia. Sgt Stumpy was obviously a unusually short marine - either that or most of him was blown away.

Here is Stompy without arms

and a rear view

completed

and with his little friend

Stumpy now packs a multi-melta and the flamestorm has moved over to Stompy. I've been using both in my last few games and I love them - especially in the last game where I bought Lucius Drop Pods for them. Stompy killed a Leman Russ before dying to a plasma cannon Sentinel while Stumpy accounted for a Company Command Squad and their Chimera upon landing (heavy flamer attacks inside transports are mean!), a Basilisk and an Armoured Sentinel before finally falling. Both were well worth taking.

Veteran-Sergeant

In painting news I finished the repairs to my first 4 objective markers which had been battered by constant transportation and I finally found inspiration for the 5th. I'll post the 5th marker when it's finished in a day or so.

I was using the lack of a good pillar model as an excuse for not making these so finally bit the bullet and made one - it's made from the textured cup-holder that goes around a take-away cup of coffee with a foamboard topper. For a cheap solution I like it.

and I've been working on some Predator conversions - the current vehicle rules make taking a predator that isn't from Codex Blood Angels a bit of a daft choice I think, however, I really like the models and rules for the 2 Forgeworld Deimos variants.

Firstly I think that the GW Heavy Bolter sponsons are ugly so I remade mine - they're a good match for the plasma destroyer turret if I have the points.

Secondly I can't currently afford to buy the Forgeworld models so I decided to scratch build the weapons options instead. I don't envisage using the flamestorm turret so didn't bother with that.

This is the beginning of the Magna-Melta

and the first mock-up

As you can see it's ugly but it meant I could figure out how to make it properly.
    Last edited by Shotgun Justice; 03-21-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

this is the 2nd attempt at it

Just needs a little tidying up at this point but I like.

I haven't got a pic of the final version in the turret but here is the mock-up in place.

I can't find what this pattern turret used to be called but Forgeworld has renamed it as the Deimos and I'm going with that.
    I currently only have 5 Rhino chassis which have to be multi-role, they are 3 MkIIIc Rhino chassis:
    Demolisher / Rhino,
    Predator / Razorback / Rhino
    and Rhino / Razorback
    and 2 MkIb which are a Rhino and a Stronos Razorback.
    I wanted my Deimos turret to be useable on both the MkIV Predator and the MkIb(Deimos) chasis so have bulked it up and added a peg to fit into the metal Deimos Razorback plate.
    Here it is on the Deimos chassis

Veteran-Sergeant

I also made a Plasma Destructor, here they are side by side

and the destructor in the Deimos turret on the Stronos chassis

I decided to build these as I had a couple of games in a row where the shooting dice were not with me, normally I can hit either as the odds would suggest or better but wound well below the expected average. In the aforementioned games I couldn't hit, never mind wound and I envied the large blast markers that were ripping me up. I built a list around 3 Preds: a Magna-Melta , a Plasma Destructor and a Heavy Conversion Beamer with a Damocles added for the one-off BOOM. Although it was a slightly unbalanced list I really enjoyed Space Marine accuracy with BIG guns.
    I've lent my collection of Space Crusade Dreds to a friend so I need to wait to get them back before I can make the Conversion Beamer. I might just use the old weapon or I might use it as inspiration to make a larger version, saving the Space Crusade weapon for a Master of the Forge.

I've been reluctant to post painted minis here as my ability is pretty average, however, other logs have been full of positive suggestions and this isn't exactly a snarky forum is it?
    So, here is my Assault Squad

They need their eye lenses done and their bases painted. When I painted these boys I hadn't decided on how the army's bases would be themed, I need to go back and sort out these guys and 3 tactical squads.
    Here's one c/u - sarg needs his combat shield painted and glued.

Veteran-Sergeant

and another c/u

There are 2 models with plasma pistols and 2 with flamers although the plasma pistols have been used as bolt pistols since 5th ed.

Might I ask where the turret came from? I've lost mine from my original Predator and could do with one. I like the Magna Melta too, so if I can get a turret I can blatantly draw inspiration from your effort

Veteran-Sergeant

The turret is from my bits box, it's either from a predator that I forgot I owned (which is entirely possible) or I think an ebay seller threw it into a batch of rogue trader rhino bits I bought. They turn up on ebay fairly often though.
    I'm going to attempt to cast a replica of the magna-melta for the Caestus I'm planning - it will be the biggest component I've replicated so have no idea how successful that will be

Veteran-Sergeant

Long break from posting, have achieved some modelling goals but have got in plenty of games. I've been really enjoying marines with a little foregeworld pimping - I haven't had any problems that weren't of my own making through ****e deployment and the games have been close when I've lost.
    I've now got an Ironclad and Venerable dread that need only the final bit of greenstuff before painting. I hope to finish that today and post later.

I the meantime I’ve been using the dreads on the table-top and decided they need a ride or 3. That means drop pods and Lucius drop pods for competitive play. I can’t afford the GW models at the moment so it time for some more scratch building.
    I’ve had the old GW France pdf’s for a dreadnought drop pod for a few years and finally decided to make use of them. They come out a little smaller than the Forgeworld model but apparently they are greater enough in size than the GW pod to be acceptable on the table.

For the prototype I used 5mm foamboard and a cereal box since I’m really not very good at cutting plasticard in straight lines.
    The base is a double layer of foamboard, the supports a single layer and the doors and armour detailing are cereal cardboard. In the background you can see a paper mock-up I used to get an idea of the construction.
    [URL=http://s943.photobucket.com/user/shotgun_justice/media/Ultramarines%20Photo%20Blog/LuciusParts_zps88644959.jpg.html][/URL]

I then added plasticard strips around the foamboard to hide its crinkly innnards and assembled the supports and roof
    [URL=http://s943.photobucket.com/user/shotgun_justice/media/Ultramarines%20Photo%20Blog/LuciusSupports_zps345dc4d0.jpg.html][/URL]

A wanted to put a decent amount of detail on the pods so that they don’t’ just look like cardboard. The pdf has cut out spaces for door hinges. I had a go at sculpting a little hinge, it’s terrible but it’ll do for the first attempt at the lucius. I made 5 press moulds of it and stuffed them with greenstuff. They’ll have cured tomorrow and I can finish the prototype. It’s frustrating to have had all the other parts completed for a couple of days and not be able to finish the thing.

This pic shows the clamps holding down the plasticard for the floor of the hinge housings.
    [URL=http://s943.photobucket.com/user/shotgun_justice/media/Ultramarines%20Photo%20Blog/LuciusHingeClamps_zpsdc846fab.jpg.html][/URL]

I've made a mistake on the roof height so will need to create tops for the doors. I also need to find something to be the engine on top, I'm not going to model the underside thrusters but need 3 identical thingys for the engines.
    Last edited by Shotgun Justice; 06-02-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

As far as tactics go I want to use 3 lucius pods, one for an Ironclad, one for a flamestorm Siege and one for a stupid contemptor mortis idea I’ve come up with. I hope to test it next week in a game, I’ll report on how well it works.
    I’ve been playing my marines quite ‘straight’ recently. By that I mean I’ve been reserving very little, not using flyers much and trying to go toe to toe in a straight up fight against whomever I’ve come up against. It’s been an exercise in playing out the relative strengths and weaknesses of the codex against 6th ed opponents. The list has however become repetive and I want to up the ante with my AA, which basically means the Contemptor-Mortis.
    I plan to use 2, I just cant decide on weapon options for the second one. The first will be dual Kheres & cyclone launcher since that many dice is just fun. Online advice says that S7 is fine for AA but I find it a bit underwhelming especially against marine flyers so I’m not that sold on autocannons and am looking at lascannons for sheer punch. Even dual melta looks pretty sexy, especially in a pod.
    Any feedback from other contemptor users?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123