BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by NecronAbyss View Post
    I've done this before. Silicone, yes, is your friend... Resin, however is a little trickier. you need to build a strong mold box. however, I'm curious as to what kind of quality one would get from the GS molding.
    The quality is real sketchy. Smaller stuff with few to no details its good. Bigger things it depends on your yellow to blue ratios in the green stuff mix. I've managed to have one real good Flamer come out so far as well as one good melta bomb. The melta bomb then split in half though... lol.
    Check it: http://hotschnitzel.blogspot.com/

Thanks. I'm not looking to do anything too huge. Just some Iconography here and there. I'm surprised you can get something like a flamer by doing this though.

Veteran-Sergeant

GW already has the "Bits" section where you can get things like shoulder pads, melta guns, plasma guns, jump packs etc - this is imho a start but maybe suggestions for squad upgrade items would not go amiss - that way meybe there would be a squad "upgrade" box set or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by krispy View Post
    GW already has the "Bits" section where you can get things like shoulder pads, melta guns, plasma guns, jump packs etc - this is imho a start but maybe suggestions for squad upgrade items would not go amiss - that way meybe there would be a squad "upgrade" box set or the like.
    Well, I know all this and have bought from them before. However, I would like to know about different and easier molding techniques. This one in particular being something of interest to me.

Another question. Is some sort of mould release needed when using the green stuff mould? I'm assuming you also make the casted part with more green stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by krispy View Post
    Dont do bloody Melta Bombs though do they?
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

I'm very interested. I need more disintigrators, since the only two come with Vect. Could you give a step by step on how to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    I'm very interested. I need more disintigrators, since the only two come with Vect. Could you give a step by step on how to do this?
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwzJkE2gKhA[/url]

This is pretty much how I thought it was done. There may be a way to make an A and B sided mold using similar techniques than this. The Lego Idea for the mold box is good and I've heard of them even being used in DIY silicone and resin molding. I might try to make mine out of cardboard cause the lego base has all those raised parts. It kind of limits how deep you can push the master into the mold.
    Last edited by NecronAbyss; 09-01-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NecronAbyss View Post
    Well, I know all this and have bought from them before. However, I would like to know about different and easier molding techniques. This one in particular being something of interest to me.

Another question. Is some sort of mould release needed when using the green stuff mould? I'm assuming you also make the casted part with more green stuff.
    For the release agent I use vasaline. Dry brushed a light coat of it in the mold, pop in some green stuff and wait a few hours. Pops out fine. Takes some practice getting decently detailed products though. My first three flamers were pretty crappy. My next three weren't too bad though.
    Check it: http://hotschnitzel.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12