BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dunford View Post
    @Nabterayl:
    As far as the armor analysis goes, I'll cheerfully admit that the lootas are far better than tankbustas at taking down AV10-11 vehicles. I looked only at AV 12, and noted that the tankbustas are similar to lootas there - which your numbers seem to confirm (unless you want to argue about whether 64% is really similar to 68%). And I think we all know what happens to loota odds when you hit AVs 13-15. I'm just not a fan of buying anti-vehicle units that have low odds of taking out tanks when the same points will buy me a unit that can do both reasonably well.
    Damn AV15 vehicles

I don't disagree with any of your conclusions, actually, Mike, since most of the time I do prize mobility. I just wanted to throw some mathematical light on the question of how deffgunz (even single deffgunz) compare against rokkits. Being a Strength snob myself, I was pretty shocked the first time I ran those numbers.

It's precisely because deffgunz are better than rokkits against a given sub-13 armor that the choice between lootaz and tankbustaz comes down to doctrine. I hoped that by pointing out definitively that deffgunz win mathematically, it might help to focus the discussion on the parts of the question that matter.

Battle-Brother

You need more than one box each unless you want the mek. I would sum it up as if you have a highly anti infantry army, get lootas, if you can handle tanks but need to kill infantry, or heavy infantry, take burnas. A battlewagon really helps burnas as they can close and all get off an optimum shot.

Chaplain

I've used Burnas before and now using Lootas, I like Lootas the best.

Burnas are good the mass templates, best setup is in a battlewagon or trukk with a Big Mek with a KFF. The transport and force field will keep them going, though once they are out don't expect them to last long. Bonus with them is you don't need to worry about the BS2 shooting, unlike Lootas, but, you need to get into range and you need a mass of them or else they will die once get popped. Any player who knows the mass flamer templates on route will pop the transport and gun them down, or let them foot slog it.

Lootas still need the same protection in the form of a trukk or battlewagon and possibly a Big Mek and KFF. Unlike Burnas they have massive range, stronger weapons and the move there is the more shots they get. They are perhaps one of the Orks best anti vehicle unit (do Orks have those? ) as they can take out armour mostly on the side. Infantry doesn't pose a problem and advancing Orks either on foot or in transport will get long range fire support.

Lootas are highly annoying, especially in a battlewagon where you cannot get them which has a B.M with KFF. Burnas are not so hot (pun not intended) as you need to get into range, and once done a unit over they are waiting to be shot up next turn. I would go with the Lootas really, their benefits out weigh the Burnas, though either way give the B.M a power klaw, if either unit gets assaulted once out the transport it will help a bit

As an Ork player, I'm most frightened of seeing burnaz across the table, because they annihilate my regular boyz. However, 2 units of 10 lootaz usually find their way into my lists of 1850+. The reason has already been stated - they're simply too cool for school when it comes to popping transports.

Burnaz have a role, putting large amounts of strength 4 hurting on a unit, that is already filled by our regular boyz. They also require a battlewagon or looted wagon to be effective. The best use of burnaz therefore, at least in my experience, is in the battlewagon rumble/nob heavy list. In such a list you are likely to be spamming battlewagons anyway and you'll lack the regular boyz to be able to put 40 strength four hits on a unit. But in a standard horde? No thanks. I need the anti-tank that the lootaz provide much more than anti-infantry from the burnaz.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123