BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by MadCowCrazy View Post
    And your point is?
    Noone ever told me I could take earplug wax and use it as a mold making material before, is the earplug wax also non stick like this stuff is? Does it capture details in the same way this stuff does? I have cast my own fingerprint with this stuff, can you do that with earplug wax?
    If the answer is yes to all of these questions then why the hell haven't we been informed of this before InstantMold came out?!
    Mostly because no one ever thought of it.

Parafin wax is used in motor oil because of it's non stick properties.

Thermo-reactive wax is used in thermostats in cars due to it's ability to mold to imperfections in steel casting.

Soft candle wax is used to make jewelery setting molds.

As for wax being able to get the detail of fingerprints, pour some wax out of a candle, wait for it to cool a bit, and press your finger in it.

Shall I continue?

The reason no one has heard about using earplug wax for casting is probably because no one thought about it. I've got a couple friends that are chemists, physicists, and just all around sciencey, and they all seem to agree with me. I'm actually going to head to Walmart to get some ear plugs later today to try it.

Chapter-Master

Who cares if it's wax-based or not.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by dont13link View Post

The reason no one has heard about using earplug wax for casting is probably because no one thought about it. I've got a couple friends that are chemists, physicists, and just all around sciencey, and they all seem to agree with me. I'm actually going to head to Walmart to get some ear plugs later today to try it.
    Well, is it the same stuff? I use Smooth-on stuff, but its kinda inefficent for simpler or one/two off runs.

Quote Originally Posted by dont13link View Post
    Mostly because no one ever thought of it.

Parafin wax is used in motor oil because of it's non stick properties.

Thermo-reactive wax is used in thermostats in cars due to it's ability to mold to imperfections in steel casting.

Soft candle wax is used to make jewelery setting molds.

As for wax being able to get the detail of fingerprints, pour some wax out of a candle, wait for it to cool a bit, and press your finger in it.

Shall I continue?

Pleas do, for science! And if you'd report your findings that would be great too. =D

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456