BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

by the way, it wasn't convincing americans, it was the USGS-- you would have to re-engineer all the maps and roads, signage, ect. It was going to be a VERY expensive project, when, instead, you could just use conversion factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Scorpion View Post
    If you're in the UK, you might want to look at this at a fraction of the price and in loads of colours:
    [url]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Friendly-Plastic-White-White-/400180986385?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=ite m5d2ca54211[/url]

And check this out too:
    [url]http://www.rarebird.ltd.uk/fp%20plain%20colours.html[/url]
    Interesting, cheers.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    by the way, it wasn't convincing americans, it was the USGS-- you would have to re-engineer all the maps and roads, signage, ect. It was going to be a VERY expensive project, when, instead, you could just use conversion factors.
    Yeah, in our engineering classes we teach both metric and imperial units. Metric is so much easier to work with. Converting all of America's business and infrastructure stuff over to metric is just absurdly difficult, however, so any attempts to drop imperial units completely never gets any headway. We have more important things to worry about, really.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I bought 28 ounces of it for $40 or so here:
    [url]http://www.amaco.com/shop/product-430-friendly-plastic-pellets.html[/url]

Seemed a heck of allot cheaper then the CMON bars.

They also sell it in 4.4 oz jars for $14.00.

I bet you can go to the local hobby lobby or Michaels and find it just as cheap.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Rosette Soulknyt View Post
    Now i like the look of this, and plan to buy some and see what i can make with it, actually i need a few inferno pistols for my Seraphin's. I watched the video and i like it, simple and reusable.

Its funny though, that some people accept that its ok to copy and make using this instant molds,instead of buying more GW miniatures and undercut GW, yet are ok with trashing others or companies for making custom parts that MAY be used on GW products.
    I mean, me, personally i dont have a problem if it saves me money, but you can't one day decide that Chapterhouse is wrong for making parts, or other such companies, or even not buying the dvd to Ultramaries, and downloading it, and then say "oh im going to make my own parts using this stuff and stuff GW". It's Hypocritical.

You know, some would say your stealing GW profits, and i know one person on this post who claims he/she never stole anything ever.
    But, hey, don't stop on my opinions, i plan to use this instant mold, copy parts, and enjoy doing it. I advise others to do the same, its customizing and fun.
    Enjoy.
    I can sum up my thoughts on the matter with this : I love the game but hate the company.
    I dont even want to start talking about the way GW runs their business and how unfair they are with their conversion rates.
    One could say I'm stealing GW profits by ordering all my GW products from UK webstores with discounts rather than buy from GW Finland and paying 25% more per item compared to the UK prices.
    The day GW starts selling bits again I might consider buying them but until then I'm willing to try out any new product that helps me copy a part from a plastic kit.

One of my goals is to create a complete Seraphim unit using the Chaos Possessed wings, I'm just not ready to buy 5-10 boxes of Possessed Marines just for the 2 parts per box I need though. Bits sellers often ask for 2-3£ per wing and that is as much as a single model in most cases, then again 99.99% of all bits sellers are always 99.99% out of stock 99.99% of the time.
    Last edited by Duke; 01-30-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Chaplain

On that i agree with you, i don't plan to buy eight Sisters of Battle Cannoness miniatures to arm four Seraphin with twin-linked Inferno pistols.
    Actually i agree, i wish GW would start making bits, would be great i can see that there sales would also go up, but thats for another thread to argue that i think.

Im planning to buy some, i think i can find many things to mold with this stuff, actually just bought of ebay from a person a mould to make Fluer de Li's, got me two different sizes.

5/8" w X 3/4" and 1-1/4" w X 1-1/2".

Going to adorn some tanks and my conversion of the Fortress of Redemption.
    "Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver"

How long will it take GW to sue these guys?
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Chaplain

Well as sonn as they troll over their legal team, terms and.or make up something.
    Legally, i guess they can't, as they are not producing anything, copying or naming any products to corrospond with GW products.

They are just showing how to make a mold, and how simple it is to copy parts from anything. But given GW who knows.
    "Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver"

Chapter-Master

The product here isn't called "Instant Mold for Warhammer 40k". GW sued Chapterhouse over trademark infringement, not because they make models. Trademarks are a use/defend it or lose it deal, so GW pretty much had to sue Chapterhouse if it wanted to retain any control over 40k in the long run.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

The Dark Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    The product here isn't called "Instant Mold for Warhammer 40k". GW sued Chapterhouse over trademark infringement, not because they make models. Trademarks are a use/defend it or lose it deal, so GW pretty much had to sue Chapterhouse if it wanted to retain any control over 40k in the long run.
    Thank you for providing some much needed sanity. Not only is talk of GW suing someone over a malleable plastic molding product ridiculous, it's off-topic. Perhaps we can now go back to discussing the product at hand, places to find it, etc. that are of use to hobbyists interested in this?

Here's something similar that's been out there for years at craft stores. Check this out:

[url]http://www.etsy.com/listing/14632912/aleenes-fantastic-plastic-modeling-and[/url]

Fantastic Plastic pellets melt in hot water and can then be molded, modeled like clay, shaped, and so much more.

This plastic is very easy to handle, too. Just soften it in a frying pan (or electric skillet) filled with water heated to not quite boiling. The plastic pellets will stick together as they soften.

Then use a fork, spoon, or other favorite utensil to lift the "melted pile" of plastic from the pan/skillet, and dab the water off with a scrap of fabric. The plastic does not hold a lot of heat -- it will be warm and pliable when removed from the water, but not too warm to handle "bare-handed"!

Now the fun really begins! You can mix colors -- blending them, marbelizing them, or go for a more "inlaid" look. You can also mold, model like clay, shape freehand....the possibilities are limited only by your imagination! And if it cools off too fast, just put it back in the hot water and re-soften it.

Making jewelry? Just press the findings into the warm plastic and let them harden into place. When your project is completed, use a hair dryer to give the plastic a shiny finish -- no need for sealant.

Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 01-31-2011 at 12:09 AM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast