BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Default Gender opinion research...

Hello all.
    Some of you may remember my ill-fated "GW and Sexism" thread. It's closed no, and this isn't a re-tread of that; this is something else.

So anyway, I am writing a letter to GW about gender biases in their product. Boiled down to a nutshell, I want a male-to-female ratio of 50% of all models for those armies where such distinctions are relevant (so not Necrons or Orks, etc. but definitely including Space Marines - if you don't want female marines, fair enough, I don't and will never EVER get why, but fair enough) as it become necessary to update the miniature moulds.

My previous thread brought me a great deal of helpful advice from many, and as I've been mulling it over, and actually need some information from as many gamers as possible. Simply put, I would like to know:

1 - What's your gender? (Male, female, trans - if you prefer not to say, please don't respond; your information will not be helpful, given that it's a gender-based survey).

2 - What do you think of all the armies for the 40K game line (not WHFB - doesn't interest me is the only reason why; if you want to include your opinions of those, feel free), army by army and would you play them? All armies, all opinions please

So, to kick things off.

I'm male.

SM - Play them. Love them. Have since 1989. Like the design, like the playstyle, like the background. Don't get why they're all male (don't bother to explain - I've heard all the arguments, none of them satisfy me, if you disagree, cool, let's just disagree and move on )

Blood Angels - Play them. Love the Sanguinary Guard models. Love Death Company dreads.

Space Wolves - Detest them, because I basically can't stand the Viking aesthetic; couldn't care less about the rules, can't abide the whole hairy-man-with-an-axe-thing.

Dark Angels - Play them. Love the robes and homoerotic subtext. Deathwing has been cool since that first 40K short story collection.

Black Templars - Don't play. Robes are cool but a sword? To a gunfight? Can't suspend my disbelief that much. Battle of Crecy proved how dumb that plan is.

IG - Primary army of choice; love the fact that humans are essentially useless individually, but superb as a whole. Also love the tanks and wide number of unit choices.

Sister of Battle - Like them, don't play them due to all-metal models, and the poor sculpting on 90% of those models.

Daemonhunters - Like them, don't play them due to age of codex. Probably will do when new codex is released.

Eldar - Don't play. Love the idea, hate the all-metal army, and the fact they're not as elite as they should be.

Dark Eldar - Play them. Like them for the "Hellraiser" aesthetic.

Orks - Have an army but never play it. Like the number of dreads/kans you can field but can't face painting more than one or two boys... let alone the 9000 I'd need to paint.

Tyranids - Play them. Love them - have, ever since I first saw a Genetealer back with Space Crusade.

Necrons - Like the idea; hate the fact they're "Tomb Kings IN SPACE" when they should be Mechanical Cthulhus... if the new codex dropped the Egyptian thing in favour of Matrix-style bugtopuses, I'd be in. It won't, ever, so I'll never play them.

CSM - Don't play them, never will. The 80's ended over 20 years ago, I see no need to return to those awful, awful times.

Daemons - Don't play them. Would, if they looked scary, like the Helldorado demons. As it is, they either look lame or fruity, or some embarrassing combination of the two.

So, that's my opinion. What's yours?

Shas'o

I do think they are trying, but to be honest I think it's just hard to model girls. GW is trying with Dark Eldar and SOB from what I read they are having trouble modeling the Sisters. So is it not possible that you are just being difficult?

I'm a dude and, I play Tau and Chaos Space Marines because I like the way they look and if GW came out with female models for them and they looked cool then I would put them in. I have Shadowsun.
    Last edited by JxKxR; 01-31-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Why are there no female space marines? Why are there no male sisters of battle?

I am not gender biased but that is kind of like monks vs. nuns. And with the chance of a Codex for
    Sisters of Battle out soon that will kind of help balance that out.

Imperial guard, eldar, dark eldar, and Tau all deserve female sculpts.

Brother-Sergeant

Just make the new tervigon sculpt slighty feminine and that would cover tyranids lol.

On a more serious note, I'm male. I would like GW to clarify their possition on space marines. (either they are always male because of reason X , or they are both male and female and you can look forward to buying expensive female torsos from next release).

Eldar could do with some female torsos and heads.
    Necrons are asexual. I don't know enough about tau, and don't care about guard.

Sisters of battle should be plastic, included in a general inquisition codex and given awesome rules.

Hope that helps.
    I preach 4 things. The Gospel of Jesus Christ, The importance of good dental hygiene, the evils of COMIC SANS and the superiority of Mac over PC

male.

SM - have a fair size force

Blood Angels - nice models, do not like characters or playstyle

Space Wolves - like the look and background, dont need a second marine army

Dark Angels - waiting on new Codex, my SM army is made up of DA models

Black Templars - like the look, not my play style

IG - building an army, like range of unit choices and multiple play styles

Sister of Battle - Love the models, need time to paint and a new Codex.

Daemonhunters - Love the models, need time to paint and a new Codex

Eldar - My first army, great style for the minis but hate the direction the last couple codex have treated them.

Dark Eldar - one of the few races I do not have. do not like the style. They seem more like whiny little *****es tha true evil.

Orks - Gave mine away, not enough time to do all the conversions they deserve.

Tyranids - have a few old minis, might re visit them if I had time, money and could get more of the old models.

Necrons - a forgotten race that needs to be forgotten again

CSM - Love the style and conversion opportunities but already have a marine army. Would like to see multiple lists in one Chaos Codex. They could make a list for each chaos power, a non power specific list, a traitor but not chaos list and a Chaos IG list. Fold the Daemons back into the main codex.

Daemons - options too limited. See above.

Tau - hate them

Quote Originally Posted by jorz192 View Post
    Why are there no female space marines?
    IMHO female Space Marines would be pointless.
    I see three options for the look of such minis.

They could look like SoB.

They could be big scarry amazons that look they could penetrate you with their superhuman C***.

The would look just like male marines (seen a few of these in the real world)

Quote Originally Posted by jorz192 View Post
    Imperial guard, eldar, dark eldar, and Tau all deserve female sculpts.
    Eldar, both types, already have a fair range of femal minis. This fits their background where every Eldar is needed to fight for racial survival.

Tau - do they have physical distinction between genders?

IG - from real life experience the physical appearance in full battle rattle is fairly small. Making female IG that did not look like cheesecake but still obviously female would be difficult. Probably not cost effective to make plastic minis aut too expensive to build an all metal army.

*Deleted by the inquisition*

As to what I play, I play Dark Angles and Tyranids. I love the colour scheme and fluff for DA. I like the minis and fluff for Tyranids.

DA love the fluff and models.

Tyranids same.

Other SM chapter, don't really care fore. I don't have much money, so I will stick to what little I have.

Tau, they are ok. To just like the Imperium. I could live without them.

Chaos. Meh, don't seem so scary anymore fluff wise with new codex.

Elder and DE, never read the codex. First time I saw Eldar, I thought they were a joke because they looked like clowns.

DH/WH would have loved to collect them, but trying to buy everything is too expensive, stuck with DA and Tyranids. I can have 2 armies for the price on one.

Necron, never bothered. Screams Terminators, and I love Terminator. I am Terminator out, espically after the last 2 movies. Ugh!

Orks, They are great and fun. Lots and lots of converion possibilities, and no matter if you win or loose, you have FUN, which we seem to forget when we play other armies.

Dameons, never bothered with them since they were split out from 3rd edtion codex. All it screams of, we are cheap, but you can buy our minis for Chaos that is good for 40K and WFB.

Again, this would have been a good post except for your complaining about gender equality and then not wanting to hear about it.
    Last edited by Duke; 01-31-2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: TOS Violation
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Brother-Sergeant

Sisters of Battle will always be women because their fluff specifically requires it. Space Marines are men because Rule 63 only applies to the internet. Unless the Emperor's Children [REDACTED BY ORDER OF THE INQUISITION].

HOWEVER

Female ImpGuard are totally necessary. I can't stand having Johnny Rico but not Dizzy Flores (or Carmen Ibanez, for that matter, although she would have to be an Officer of the Fleet). Besides, the fluff supports it.

We have female Eldar, but I'd like to see more sprinkled into the Aspect Warrior sculpts.

Dark Eldar are done right. Finally.

As for Tau... Just because the models don't appear female doesn't mean they aren't. They're aliens - they're not supposed to share the same physical characteristics as humans. While the popular theory amongst my peers is that female Tau have udders, the only gender differences I have seen displayed are a more purplish skin tone and a Y-shaped crease on the face instead of a line. So there's no reason you can't point to a Crisis suit or a helmeted Fire Warrior and say, "That one's a girl."

Daemons are stupid. GW should have left them in with the CSM, along with the at least 100 other things they should also have done. As it stands, however, the Daemonettes take your 50% concept a little too far for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    1 - What's your gender? (Male, female, trans - if you prefer not to say, please don't respond; your information will not be helpful, given that it's a gender-based survey).
    Female. (Trans)

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    2 - What do you think of all the armies for the 40K game line (not WHFB - doesn't interest me is the only reason why; if you want to include your opinions of those, feel free), army by army and would you play them? All armies, all opinions please
    SM- To many chapters to cover.

Blood Angels - I don't like the blood angles them selves. But there Successor Chapter the Flesh Terrors are cool. There alot more vampire anti-heroes and I enjoy that.

Space Wolves -Can't say I like them that much. I dig the space werewolf thing, but not the space vikings.

Dark Angels - I love these guys. Dark, brooding, and mysterious. I love the fact they draw heavily from the secretive knightly orders like the Templars.

Black Templars - Crusader knights in space? I guess there cool. But nothing special.

IG - Love these guys. I expecaily love Traitor Guard and Steel Legion. Very cool fluff and models all around. Great opportunities for conversions. I play this army.

Sister of Battle - There pretty bad ***. Crazy zelotes in power Armour that kicks everyone's ***. XD

Daemonhunters - Knights in shining Armour. There cool I guess. But a little to bland to me.

Eldar - Love the concept. Hate the models.

Dark Eldar - Love these guys. There sadistic and evil, yet there able to justify what they do. There not evil for the sake of being evil. I play this army.

Orks - These guys a great and fun to model. I play this army.

Tyranids - These guys a cool. More of a force of nature then a enemy. I played this any but not any more.

Necrons - Use to not like these guys. But there newer fluff makes them alot more interesting.

CSM - Love these guys. There mortal followers of chaos. There "evil" by the imperial standards, but there all justified in there crusade ageist the oppressive empire. (From there point of view.) I play this army.

Daemons - Interesting idea for a army, but poorly done. A force of nature like the Tyranids more then anything. Thought it make more sence havering them as support units to the mortal followers of chaos. IMHO.

Tau- To weeaboo for me.
    Last edited by Lockark; 01-31-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scion_of_Terra View Post
    Sisters of Battle will always be women because their fluff specifically requires it. Space Marines are men also because their fluff specifically requires it
    Fixed that bit for ya.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast