BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First-Captain

Yes the marines are all male, sorry but thats their FLUFF, yes its sexism, but thats because the emperor was sexist.
    Besides GW shouldnt supply female models for the sake of it, especially since theres little evidence for races like tau having many distinctions, and the ranges where they mainly exist in the fluff already have them, See DE and Eldar.

Sure Guard can have female recruits, but its mainly the males due to fluff reasons, they are fighting for mankinds survival and the officers are probably sexist

But GL with the letter anyway,

And to be constructive.

Male

Play Tau, and BT and HE. I played tau because a friend did, and I like the idea of using technology to counter your own weaknesses, BT are heroic and Highelves are magic pwners.

all other armies I just dnt enjoy that much, orks are idiots generally while some intellegence exists I prefer suicidal charges for heroism not strength.
    Tyranids dnt have tanks,
    and smurfs are cowards 'failed to defend the emperor'
    BA and SW are inferior.
    Necrons are Bland.
    DE and Eldar I like, but not as bad *** as templars.
    For the Greater good.

I'm male, I play SM, IG and would like to play SoB if they were plastic.

I think there should be female models for armies that it is logical for. I don't think there needs to be male SoB or Female SM but a better balance in the Tau, IG (perhaps a primarily female force?) and Eldar lines would be appreciated. Female orks may be funny as well.

Chapter-Master

They do have female Guardians in the Eldar army. And Howling Banshees.

Really all GW needs to do is put some females in the Guardsman sprue and call it good. Every other army really is either too alien or has reasons to lack female troops.

In fact, 'nidz have likely evolved beyond the need for gender.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Yes, for a society where gender is largely irrelevent they have two female guardian torsos, no heads, and no female Aspect Warriors apart from Howling Banshees. So no female Dire Avengers, Reapers, Fire Dragons etc. Really doesn't make sense, I'm hoping it will change when the next range of Eldar models are released, in a similar vein to the DE release where over the whole range around half the models are female.

Apart from that, yes Guardsmen and perhaps Tau are the only armies tht really need female sculpts. SoB already have them.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    They do have female Guardians in the Eldar army. And Howling Banshees.

Really all GW needs to do is put some females in the Guardsman sprue and call it good. Every other army really is either too alien or has reasons to lack female troops.

In fact, 'nidz have likely evolved beyond the need for gender.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

The Dark Mechanic

for a society where gender is largely irrelevent...
    But it's extremely relevant in the society in which we live and that is also the miniatures battle game customer base. The preponderance of soldiers throughout history have been male and sadly, the preponderance of all violence on or off the battlefield is committed by males. And since the targeted audience for this product is young males, it's not really that difficult to figure out why most toy soldiers, GW or not, are portrayed as male. But I'm sure this statement of the obvious won't disuade the continuation of this thread for several more pages until it erupts in a huge argument that gets it closed by a Moderator. Seriuosly, why do people insist on generating these discussions with strangers on the Internet? It can't really be that rewarding or socially enlightening. This topic has the word "research" in the title. I would have used a different word to describe it. *sigh*

P.S. If it matters, I have been collecting Eldar since Rogue Trader and Dark Eldar since they first appeared. My original Dark Eldar Archon was created from bits and I used the female torso from the plastics available at the time. In other words, it's a fantasy game and I like variety in my models.
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 02-01-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Librarian

I'm male.

SM - Don't play. I've proxied them once or twice, but overall I'm not that interested.

Blood Angels - Don't play them. I like the models, and the fluff, but have no interest in the army.

Space Wolves - Don't play them. I like the aesthetic, but hate Thunderwolves.

Dark Angels - Don't play them. Maybe if they were more unique, I'd be interested, but overall they're just green marines.

Black Templars - Don't play them, and never really had an interest.

IG - I've proxied them as an Alpha Legion force (with allied PA Grey Knight Teleport Attack to be the "Ifrit Stealth Squad"), and that was a lot of fun. Don't own any models, though (other than a looted Basilisk from 2nd edition).

Sister of Battle - Don't play them. I'd like to see the models and book get redone, though. Probably still wouldn't play, but I think they're a cool army.

Daemonhunters - Don't play them. Seem cool, and I'm interested in the new book, but I still probably won't play them... unless I can make a good Alpha Legion out of them.

Eldar - Don't play them. I like some aspects of the army, but overall wouldn't play them.

Dark Eldar - My secondary army. LOVE the new models, the new book is pretty awesome (although I miss pinning things).

Orks - My primary army. Love the army, love the models, love converting, HATE painting.

Tyranids - Don't play them. Not really interested, either, but I like fighting them.

Necrons - Don't play them. I'm interested in their new book.

CSM - Don't play them. Not really interested in Renegades, but it'd be cool to see a Legions book (you may have noticed my interest in the Alpha Legion, lol)

Daemons - Don't play them. Proxied them twice, hated their playstyle.

Tau - Don't play them, but I like their aesthetic and playstyle. I might pick them up if their book gets redone, but not until after my Dark Eldar are closer to "finished".

Irrelevent. The gender gap in the Dark Eldar line was largely addressed, no reason to assume it won't be in the Eldar line as well. The idea that female models won't sell because the playerbase is largely male is highly dubious to say the least, and purely speculative without any sales figures.

Edit: While I'd like to see more female Eldar, and have no doubt we will get them with the next plastics, I don't care that much. It would be nice to see the model range reflect the fluff, but I'd be just as happy if it were left to Forge World and won't lose any sleep if it doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Scorpion View Post
    But it's extremely relevant in the society in which we live and that is also the miniatures battle game customer base. The preponderance of soldiers throughout history have been male and sadly, the preponderance of all violence on or off the battlefield is committed by males. And since the targeted audience for this product is young males, it's not really that difficult to figure out why most toy soldiers, GW or not, are portrayed as male. But I'm sure this statement of the obvious won't disuade the continuation of this thread for several more pages until it erupts in a huge argument that gets it closed by a Moderator. Seriuosly, why do people insist on generating these discussions with strangers on the Internet? It can't really be that rewarding or socially enlightening. This topic has the word "research" in the title. I would have used a different word to describe it. *sigh*

P.S. If it matters, I have been collecting Eldar since Rogue Trader and Dark Eldar since they first appeared. My original Dark Eldar Archon was created from bits and I used the female torso from the plastics available at the time. In other words, it's a fantasy game and I like variety in my models.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

Male.
    Space Marines (Ultramarines and a custom 'crusading' chapter)
    Imperial Guard (Custom regiment - 7th Talassar)
    Orks (Da Goffz)

You don't care about WHFB, but:
    Empire (for the glory of Sigmar!)
    Orcs & Goblins (when the new book comes out)
    Dark Elves (have two units )

I think a bit more diversity in the appropriate ranges couldn't hurt. For example, unlike the GW studio I include soldiers of different ethnicities in my regiment, of different ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by WereWolf_nr View Post
    Female orks may be funny as well.
    Sorry WereWolf, but female orks/orcs cannot exist. Male orks/orcs do not exist either. The ork/orc is a sexless being, and only refers to itself as a 'boy' because it sees it's physical traits as being vaguely similar to the males of other races (particularly the humies!) The orks/orcs were biologically engineered by a long dead race to be the 'perfect'b fighting force. They are muscular because that gives them a strength advantage over their foe. They have deeper voices because that makes their battle cries more unnerving. And when an ork/orc dies, shortly after a burst of spores is released, and these will grow to be either, mushrooms, snots, grots/goblins, or orks/orcs. No genders. No sexism. Hmm, maybe it would be better to be orks/orcs than humies...
    You think running with scissors is dangerous? Try sky diving with them!

Chapter-Master

"The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude." -Uthan the Perverse, Eldar Philosopher
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

The only armies that are feasable to be able to include female warriors are: Sisters of course, Imperial Guard, Dark and The Not Dark Eldar, Daemon Hunters but only for the Inquisitorial Storm Troopers and Inquisitor Retinue troops, Traitor Gaurd.

I think that since GW has basically said that Space Marines and the Better space marines (thats Chaos Space marines to everyone else) can not have females due to the Gene Seed not being compatable with female DNA, then all spacemarine armies will not get them. Orks can not have them because Ork females are smaller than the males, and their culture is Might is Right, so no go there because their females are smaller than the males. Tau, It is harder but Fire warriors are no go because of their culture, but their Ethereals, and earth/Air Casts could have female models, as these are not a warrior male elite group. The water caste would never be seen on the battle field, so GW would not model them.

Tyranids and Necrons well obviously not an option.

SO GW just need to increase their IG forces

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast