BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I hope that this ends up more like dark eldar... A good codex that is fairly balanced and helps "diversify," the tournament scene.
    Agreed. Of course (as this very forum has proven) you'll still see people claiming that the Codex is OP or UP and it needs to be re-done (new DE codex because their vehicles are "screwed" from the Open Topped rule? Seriously?)
    Last edited by Duke; 02-18-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Valeria got some cool stuff but...

One shot pistol - good stats but still just one shot. And given that she's got Bs 4, oh well.

Good save, cool toys, crap stats. She better come cheap.

So, looking over the book, it's got even more gak fluff than C:SM/SW/BA, but some of the units really are cool. The inquisitorial Henchmen Warband is *extremely* customizable, but sadly doesn't really do INQ Stormtroopers.

Although if you want to spam Plasma and Meltaguns in a way that would make even IG cry, Grey Knights are the ones to do it oddly enough. 5 dudes with 5 Plasma Guns in a Chimera for less than the cost of a Vendetta? 10 Plasma Gun wielding guardsmen equivalents for only very slightly more than the cost of a Vendetta?

Occuli Imperator

Just as a general warning, posts asking for copies of a not-yet-released-codex will be deleted... Accounts providing links to or trying to provide a link to said codices will see harsher actions.

Duke
    Last edited by Duke; 02-18-2011 at 08:14 PM.
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Veteran-Sergeant

But we're OK otherwise? In that case...

I don't comprehend how any shooting army can come even remotely close to stopping three Dreadknights in their current rumored incarnation. They are stupidly cheap, they hit hard, and they are tougher than most nid big bugs. The only trade-off is "no Land Raiders or Purgation squads", and considering neither is all that great, BFD.

Ordinarily this wouldn't be such a big problem, because they're not all coming down turn 2. But, these jokers also apparently get reserves control on useful characters - so you stuff two B-Cs or GMs out of LOS, spam the reserves control power, and you've got a really, really good chance of having EVERYTHING come down turn 2 and 3. I don't want to say "instant win" versus mech IG, razor wolves, and Tau, but I don't see how it works any other way.

Toss in a couple big regular GK squads (and you can reserves control them so they don't come in early!), some Purifiers in a reserved Stormraven, and I think you have an extremely nasty army. Not unbeatable, but I think they'll dominate the way razor spam and mech IG do right now.

On the plus side, they do seem to be a viable foot army, and they eat mech alive, so at least they're new like that...
    Last edited by erwos; 02-19-2011 at 07:15 PM.

The Dreadknights are indeed more than a tiny wee bit undercosted, they make Vendettas look pricey.

If they only had 3 wounds, had only a 3+/5++, and were only T5, they'd still be very competitive at their current cost. I'm not quite sure what they were thinking when pricing this unit.

The Henchmen Warband is another thing that will be routinely abused. There's no limit on the number of melta or plasma guns available on dudes that are cheaper than even normal guardsmen, add to this the ability to take just about anything imagineable from entire squads of dudes that make the unit better and tote lascannons, to 3++ powerweapon dudes, etc. This is an entry that's trying to pack in 5 or 6 units worth of models and options into one.

The Paladins are the other unit that is going to get lots of rage. There are many armies that could literally shoot at them, and only them, for 6 turns, and not kill off a 5 man squad. Granted a 5man squad kitted for maximum survivability and wound allocation gimmicks is nearly as many points as two land raiders, but the sheer amount damage they can take is just silly. You'd need about 54 BS4 meltagun shots or 720 BS3 Lasgun shots to take such a unit down.

Overall from what I've seen of the book, it really feels like a bad internet fandex. They went really overboard on the whole "elite GK" thing, then remember they have to cover the actual Inquisition units as well and hamfisted them into as few entries as possible.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Vaktathi View Post
    The Henchmen Warband is another thing that will be routinely abused. There's no limit on the number of melta or plasma guns available on dudes that are cheaper than even normal guardsmen, add to this the ability to take just about anything imagineable from entire squads of dudes that make the unit better and tote lascannons, to 3++ powerweapon dudes, etc. This is an entry that's trying to pack in 5 or 6 units worth of models and options into one.
    I actually thought a crusader rush was the better option - 9 crusaders, 3 acolytes with PA and meltas, and a chimera. I feel almost bad for any marine squad they hit.

The Paladins are the other unit that is going to get lots of rage. There are many armies that could literally shoot at them, and only them, for 6 turns, and not kill off a 5 man squad. Granted a 5man squad kitted for maximum survivability and wound allocation gimmicks is nearly as many points as two land raiders, but the sheer amount damage they can take is just silly. You'd need about 54 BS4 meltagun shots or 720 BS3 Lasgun shots to take such a unit down.
    They're super-TWC, but instead of moving fast, they deep-strike, yeah. Like Dreadknights, having a unit of these guys land in front of you is basically game over.

Overall from what I've seen of the book, it really feels like a bad internet fandex. They went really overboard on the whole "elite GK" thing, then remember they have to cover the actual Inquisition units as well and hamfisted them into as few entries as possible.
    Unfortunately, it also completely matches up with the more recent rumors.

Oh I have no doubt that what we are seeing is legitimate, but it really just feels like a fanboi's pet project. As if Mat Ward was told "just go wild, we'll take whatever you come up with and send it straight to printing".

They're super-TWC, but instead of moving fast, they deep-strike, yeah. Like Dreadknights, having a unit of these guys land in front of you is basically game over.
    Yeah, you've got one turn to tarpit them or GTFO, there's no possible way even the fiercest IG gunline is going to take down a full squad of those guys in one round of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    From Warseer:
    [Valeria Information]

I'm seriously tempted not only to buy a copy of the codex, but have a Valeria themed army. Which is a sign of how much I love the sound of Valeria, as I've never based an army around a special character in the fifteen years I've been playing. The condition is GW put out a suitably fantastic model for her.
    Considering her story is similar to one I came up with to fit my inquisitor, my army is definitely going to be on her side, even if I don't use her. It'll be nice to have a canon explanation for my army's actions for once, and I can scrap my more "heretical" stuff. :P

The Dreadknights are indeed more than a tiny wee bit undercosted, they make Vendettas look pricey.

If they only had 3 wounds, had only a 3+/5++, and were only T5, they'd still be very competitive at their current cost. I'm not quite sure what they were thinking when pricing this unit.
    I don't actually think they are undercosted at all. It's 130 for the base unit = two fists and that's it. 75 pts if you want it to be able to deepstrike. And it's 30-40 pts for each gun weapon (unless you want a better CC weapon which is cheaper). That's 240 pts for the cheapest shooting option which in my mind is not that cheap when you consider the basic cost of your troops, HQs, and the opportunity cost for not taking another Heavy Support Option (purgation squad, dreadnaughts, landraider varients). Sure it's tough, but so are 6 termies for the same price and those are scoring units. And again, these are only rumors concerning a look at a codex that is clearly not the final product.

Henchmen rock, but I mean that in their customizable and pure inquisition way. They are not, however, as great as you seem to think. Almost everyone of them have the stats of your basic guardsman and a 5+ save, so their not going to be the most well protected bunch. While you can spam plasma and melta's it sounds better than it would actually turn out on a BS 3 model with a crappy save who is near guaranteed to die the next turn. In addition, unless you want to roll with Coteaz every game, your squads are limited to the number of inquisitor's taken as HQ and by the number that can fit in a transport (so 1 -2 squads max). Don't get me wrong, they're good but IMHO not OP.

Small correction but it would only take 360 BS3 lasgun shots; admittedly not a small number of lasgun shots though. Moreover, rumors have it that the 2++ warding stave might only grant a 2++ invulnerable save in CC (which would drastically reduce that las gun figure above). If that's the case then you will deal with them like every other Termie squad. Yeah, they'll have an extra wound each for only 15 pts but (a) they aren't immune to ID, (b) they don't have access to stromshields so there are no wound allocation tricks to worry about, (c) they may have twice as many wounds but their stats are not twice as good as a normal Terminator, and finally (d) they aren't troop choices like the other Terminators unless you want to pay an arm and a leg for a special character which just adds to the cost of the whole unit. If you ask me, I'd relish seeing that large a unit in a regular game as it means that unit of less then 10 models is HALF of your opponents army. Think of it this way, at best that unit can only destroy 6 units IF the game goes to turn 7 AND they assault on turn 2, AND they are in charging range of every unit every turn (this of course assumes that the Paladin unit isn't progressively getting weaker as time goes by as well).

As you can probably tell, I disagree with you completely. My prediction is that this book will come out and be every bit as terrifying as every other codex that comes out...which is to say that it's bark will prove to be bigger than it's bite. Trust me, the sky isn't falling yet.
    Last edited by Dagron XIII; 02-19-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast