BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Librarian

Orbital Bombardment from C: DH.

the ability to toss a pie plate at a peice of terrain near an objective (or not near it ) and watch the crazy scatter adds alot to the game while at the same time doing some major damage (10S 1AP)

Veteran-Sergeant

I'm not a big orka, but I love the deffkoptas too! when linked is the only way to get big shoota to hit. What could be cooler?

Necrons, my first, the scarab swarms are my favorites!!! I like to bang 'em with the destroyer Lord with nightmare shroud. Then another unit of scarabs to harrie anybody who runs! with disruption fields they are Tank killers too.
    Ahhhhh so nice.

the space wolves blood claws. 60 attacks on the charge, and still inferior to the grey Hunter.

Brother-Captain

Daemonhosts. They are unpredictable and a bit hard to use, but can be excellent in the right situation. They are also a ton of fun to play with.

Daemonettes. In most army lists, daemonettes are pretty subpar, but in certain army lists (Skarbrand or horde daemonettes) they can be a real threat.

Librarian

Oh god, Horde Daemonettes. My Berzerkers hate them.
    Let the Galaxy burn.

Librarian

I use Noise Marines all the time. I am well known for rushing a couple squads up in rhinos backed up by a berserker squad with or without Kharn in a Landraider. The noise Marines do the shooting, and the berserkers assault in.

Next round I move the noise Marines in (after using the Rhinos as shields against enemy counter fire).

The other unit I like using but have heard many other Chaos Marine players give a bad rep to is Summoned Lesser Daemons. They are one of the few units in the game that can still deep strike and assault on the turn they arrive. What is more, they have to use an icon to arrive, so they never deviate. That is their only achilles heel, as they can not deep strike if an Icon is not available, and are destroyed. However they only cost 13 points each, do not count to the maximums for troop choices for the FOC, being fearless and have a WS, Initiative and Tougnhess of 4 with 2 base attacks, and a 5+ invul save. they are hard to ignore. Who cares about power weapons.

For my Radical Witch Hunters Army (The Sisters of Slaaneshes Perfection), I like to use a squad or 2 of Imperial Storm Troopers from time to time. You can hold objectives, give you access to special and heavy weapons the IG have, and can get a 4+ save with a BS of 4. All this at a nice cheap cost as well.

Howling Banshees, which I've never thought of us underrated, but I've lost track of the amount of times I've been scoffed at for taking them only to have them be unit of the match.

As to genuinely underpowered, Eldar support weapons. Gorgeous new models, excellent fluff, lacklustre rules. For gods sake give Eldar weapons a decent range.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

imperial stormtroopers with more than 5 models/2meltaguns.

I really like to outflank a full 10 man squad /w 2 meltaguns, 1 power weapon and a chimaera with their power that gives infitlrate (outflank) and pinning in first firing turn. the chimaera gives them the tactical flexibility they need with the flamer vs hordes, meltaguns mean they can make your oponent think twice about deploying any sort of vehicle near the sides and if you have a psyker battle squad ready to support (reduce lds) they can turn a tactical squad on a far back objective into nothing over two turns (first turn kill some with rapidfire and pin them thanks to psykers and turn two rapidfire the rest).

if you ahve a flier to ferry in a troop squad (or a special weapon squad that is beeing ignored and can footslog their cheap-butts over over the course of the game) you can even claim an objective otherwise impossible to claim and the stormtroopers are very good at distracting from any troop unit that isnt a veteran squad. due tot heir 4+ save they can also leave cover many times without problems and with 2A and 4+ even hold their own in combat against marines with 1A and no power fist/weapon.

they might seldom be cost-efficient in raw killing but their tactical value is far higher.

2nd beloved underrated unit is the blood angels tactical squad. countless times these guys have won me games by simply beeing able to sit on an objective, hold out to most fire my oponent can divert without collapsing to the assoult elements and with 24" bolters and a heavy weapon are not TOTALLY useless while just sitting around (like an assoult squad would be).

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Lerra View Post
    Daemonhosts. They are unpredictable and a bit hard to use, but can be excellent in the right situation. They are also a ton of fun to play with.

Daemonettes. In most army lists, daemonettes are pretty subpar, but in certain army lists (Skarbrand or horde daemonettes) they can be a real threat.
    The charge range and the high I value makes them pretty dang decent IMOP. Like Skarbrand, Fateweaver helps you get your points worth when taking them, helping to absorb some of the shooting before they can get into CC the next turn.

Brother-Sergeant

Until recently D-Cannons and Wraithguard. Since Necrons have been showing up at groups though they are worth taking to crack open Monoliths.

I'm fielding a 2000 defensive army that is made up with no Aspect warriors as part of a 10000 map campaign force that uses all the defence platforms so will see how they do.

Librarian

I've got to admit, I love my Flash Gitz. The turn where I roll AP1/2 and wreck a unit of Plaguemarines just makes my day.

I usually toss a Big Mek in there with a bosspole, Burna, and a KFF. Gives them the 5+ against shooting, and a bit of CC threat if they need to finish a unit off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast