BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydras

Default Hydras

Why do so many guard lists run hydras, I currently run demolishers and I don't see how its worth the trade off. What is the logic behind that choice?

Chapter-Master

long range, cheap, anti-transport, ect.

Brother-Sergeant

Hydras are stupidly cheap for their firepower. 75 points for two twin-linked auto-cannons, with a 72" range that also ignore flat out saves is great. Adding in a heavy bolter for more anti-infantry firepower and mounting it on the annoyingly resilient chimera chassis makes all the other anti-light tank options in the book look sad. It's the same cost as an auto-cannon heavy weapons team, but is much more resilient, more mobile, and has better anti-infantry firepower.

I played a very competitive Guard list that fielded 3 units of 2 at 1850. Backed up by melta-vets and Vendettas for anti-heavy tank shots, the list would wipe out vehicles.

Chapter-Master

It's like a Razorback, with better guns and AV 12, and you don't need to take guys to get one. And Chimeras are cheap enough that no one cares that Hydras can't carry a scoring unit.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

But why do you take them over demolishers or other russ variants is my real question.

Because if you can't open up the transports the demolishers won't really do that much. With mass mech spam being common place, opening transports is the key to winning. Once they are open you really only need one demolisher shot to end it.

Also, things that go ridiciously fast is generally a problem for IG, you don't want those melta speeders to reach you, so blast them out of the sky

Quote Originally Posted by Archduke View Post
    But why do you take them over demolishers or other russ variants is my real question.
    They fill entirely different roles. Hydras are supression platforms. Russes are largely anti-infantry platforms that can (in varying degrees) moonlight as anti light/medium tank.

Veteran-Sergeant

First off, Hydras are crazy cheap. Second, they're far far more accurate. Third, volume of fire. Fourth, high rate of fire.

Demolishers are heavy armor with short range meant to lead a mech charge. Hydras are meduim armor that hang in the backfield and can support both mech and infantry lists.

Demolishers excel against three things: High AV, things with FNP, and multi-wound models. They're also good against heavy infantry. Medium and light infantry get hurt, but a smart opponent can spreat out enough to minimize the damage a blast template does.

The rest of the Russ variants fill roles, so I'll stick with the one you mentioned.

Hydras are good against light and medium AV, MCs, and medium/heavy infantry (due to wounding on 2+ and number of shots, not due to AP). They're not great againt hordes, but their rate of fire means they're not crap.

I play a hybrid list, and run two Hydras as my only Heavy Support choices. My blobs take up the middle ground, and can play defense against incoming units that would take out the Hydras, or they can play aggressively. Hydras have the range to support the blobs either way.

It all comes down to your list, man, just like most choices in most codecies.

Remember you can take Hydras in squadrons too. It's possible to run 1-6 hydras and still have room for russ(es).

Plus, Hydras can put skimmers out of commission which REALLY helps against mech-dar: one of the few armies IG can struggle with.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Veteran-Sergeant

My heavy support section usually looks like:
    2x Hydras
    2x LRBTs w/ hull lascannon and plasma sponsons
    1x Manticore

The Hydra blows open transports, the LRBTs annihilate what was inside - and they can do it at 72". It's really difficult to overstate how brutal pie plates can be on squads in craters or even just disembarked.

LR Exterminators should have been an option instead, but GW screwed it up by overpricing them (and underpricing the Hydras). At 90 points vs 130 points, it would have been much more of a thinker as to which one to take.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast