BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I believe Buffo was contacted by a GW rep who told him to quit telling people to play that way. If that was the case then it obviously must be straight. I would contact him about it though.

Well until it is errata'd what someone says privately to BuFFo is irrelevent. At present the rules as written (imaginary line, straight, curved or zigzag) match up with the fluff far better than this alleged RAI.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Ahrimaneus - here you go

[url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=13522[/url]

As for GW reps, some of them are utter bell ends anyway and think because they work for GW (at the retail end) that they have some sort of adjudication on rules and what can and can't be used. Until they state it's a straight line, it's not a straight line. As I said, I suspect that they did indeed intend for the attack to be made in a straight line, but they neglected to state this on two separate ocassions, which means beardy f*****s like me get away with a cool manoevure! Like you say though, I think I will always state this to my opponent before a game out of courtesy, show them the rule and FAQ and if they're not cool with it, play a different way. Of course, they can then expect literally no mercy...

I like whoever said that this rule is VERY Dark Eldar anyway...mwahahahaha!

I'm not even a beardy player and I interpret it that way. It fits the fluff, it is how the rules are written and it was not corrected by the FAQ even though the question was asked and answered.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

While I have to agree, the line travelled does not have to be straight, the Turbo-boost rule specifically says your start point and end point MUST be at LEAST 18" away to get the invulnerable save.

That's the only "straight-line" I can find with the rules and only because it's a distance apart definition which implies straight.

So, in theory, you could do a 24" turboboost in a curve, over an enemy unit doing Bloodvane attacks, but not get the Invulnerable save because your start and end points were too close together...

But why would you?

By the way - nice batte report! Nice to see that Dice Gods hate others besides me!

Good luck with your next game - let us know how it goes!
    Last edited by BlindGunn; 02-23-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Congratulating report added.

Brother-Captain

Regarding "Straight lines": The FAQ says "Should confusion arise, simply pick any model in the unit as the start point and mark that spot. Then move the unit and pick any model as the end point. One unengaged, non-vehicle unit under the line between the two markers can then be chosen to be the target of the attack."

The rule for turbo-boosting says nothing about having to go in a straight line. Blade Vane and Cluster Caltrop attacks are based on what you pass over as you turbo boost. Period, end of story. If anyone says you have to go in a straight line, have them prove it - the burden of proof is on them. As for GW's errata above, nowhere in there does it say the "start point" is actually the position the unit was in at the beginning of its movement phase. You can divide your movement into multiple straight line segments (see page 83 of the core rules for an example of this). As such, the start point can be the start point of any one of those line segments.

Now, as for pain tokens - I think this was mentioned in the blog, but just to reiterate, you get a pain toke if you force a unit off the board. The rule for pain tokens says you get one for any unit you destroy. The rule for going off the board says the unit "counts as destroyed." 'Nuff said.

And to reinforce the comment about killing units on the second round of CC. Yes, yes, yess! Especially with Wyches and Hellions, you don't want to kill your opponent on your assault phase. You want to kill him or force him to run on his assault phase. You kill him in your assault phase and you're out in the open, and you will die in his shooting phase. You kill him in his assault phase, now you can run away, or assault something else. I've been taking pointers from some friends of mine. The trick (especially against I-guard) is to position your Wyches so that only one or two will be able to engage in the initial combat. That's not easy ... in fact it's freakin' hard. It means you have to judge the distances perfectly, so that only a few of your models are within assault range. Alternately, you can have a line of Wyches pointing out of the main body of the unit like a Mosquito's proboscis (actually, given the debauchery of the DE, there's probably a more apt analogy, but this is a family show ) As long as only the tip of that line contacts the unit, you're golden. Anything more, and you're risking the unit running away. I have lost Lilleth and her entire band of Wyches twice because of that.

As for bad dice roles, how's this - 15 Wyches assault 5 Eldar guardians. I pull off the attack perfectly - only one Wych makes initial contact. The Eldar player gets luck and manages to make all of his armor saves. I fail one, thus losing one Wych. Technically, I've lost the battle, although I outnumber the guardians 3 to 1. I roll leadership. I roll double-six. 14 Wyches run away from 5 Eldar guardians.

Back in Commorragh, Lellith had a Haemonculus weave the living flesh of the cowards into a tapestry and placed it in the Coven's mess hall to serenade her sister Wyches as they dined.

Last edited by Necron2.0; 02-26-2011 at 09:30 PM.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12