BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Dark Eldar!

I really like Khymera and beastmaster minis....but im mad so maybe thats the problem.

Im not mad inuff to pay 14 "quid" for one fiend, and 8 for khymera... in my patrol lists there was one unit, but how about 1.5k game and unit with 3 and more beastmaster?; with prices like that...I can sa only one thing:

Screw you GW, Ill takie my toys and money to PP.(for now)[btw sorry if I said it to rough]
    Last edited by GrenAcid; 02-16-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: second thoughts

yay, my favourite unit is finally out (at least soon... oh the waiting will be torture)!

and all of them look nice (with the tentacled kymaera beeing best and the slightly plain looking birds beeing still acceptable even though I had envisioned GW to be able to do a bit better on them looking mean/dangerous)!

my calculator says that my final, no holds army list will still come out less money wise than a full set of skiing/diving equipment and the bus ticket to the nearest store will shurely be cheaper than a skiing/diving holiday (and I'm not even going to break my leg or get eaten by some silly sea-monster for double YAY!).

I'm just hopeing those metal skyboards will fit the flying stands as well as the plastic ones!

Price is high, but reasonable for large metal models. The cost is irrelevent to me and I'm still going to mix in other models for variety, its not like you HAVE to use those models.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DrBored View Post
    I'm certainly going to buy the Succubus, just so I can make a whole caste of Wyches, from Lelith on down the line.

The Beasts... I do really love the Khymerae and Razorwing Flocks, so I wouldn't mind paying the price for what I need from them, especially since there's no great alternative for the Razorwing!!
    Try LotR "Giant Bats" [url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat460029a&prodId=prod1080 057[/url], same price-ish, but less likely to need repair.

I love the Succubus. The mini screams "I will eff up you and your mom".
    letsagetabitarockin!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewm9 View Post
    This is funny. You know that there are currently existing armies that pay 123.65 US dollars for a squad and transport right? Sisters pay that much for there main troops, heavy weapon, spec weapon, and the sister superior and the rhino. If paid for a full size squad of 20 about 17 dollars more with no Rhino.

With their base sizxe and what not you are getting more metal for your price I'm sure. When I played daemons I paid rougjly 100 dollars US for 6 fiends.
    I know how much Sisters pay, as my cousin plays them. I also know that the entire range is metal because they haven't been able to update them.

I also know that GW's skills with plastic has improved dramatically, and they're able to do a lot of intricate details with their sculptors as is shown by the revamped Dark Eldar range.

Finally, I know that 6 Fiends is about $0.55 per point, and that Beastmaster unit is $1.06 per point.

I'm not complaining about overall price spent (as that's a ridiculous thing to complain about in this hobby) - I'm complaining about price efficiency. Everyone was talking about how cheap the new Warriors/Wyches were for instance without thinking about what percentage of an army that would make up. They were actually priced well when you compare them to a SM Tactical Squad, because of the in-game point difference.

Also, that Battle Sisters Squad is less than $1 per point.

Quote Originally Posted by newtoncain View Post
    Try LotR "Giant Bats" [url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat460029a&prodId=prod1080 057[/url], same price-ish, but less likely to need repair.
    But you can probably get away with splitting the Razorwing flocks into two bases so you don't have to buy as many/:

GW can only do a certain number of plastic kits per year, and as most of the DE range were plastic they had more than their fair share. I fully expect in four or five years we will see even mroe current metal DE kits go plastic, but for the time being we have to make do.

Quote Originally Posted by somerandomdude View Post
    I know how much Sisters pay, as my cousin plays them. I also know that the entire range is metal because they haven't been able to update them.

I also know that GW's skills with plastic has improved dramatically, and they're able to do a lot of intricate details with their sculptors as is shown by the revamped Dark Eldar range.

Finally, I know that 6 Fiends is about $0.55 per point, and that Beastmaster unit is $1.06 per point.

I'm not complaining about overall price spent (as that's a ridiculous thing to complain about in this hobby) - I'm complaining about price efficiency. Everyone was talking about how cheap the new Warriors/Wyches were for instance without thinking about what percentage of an army that would make up. They were actually priced well when you compare them to a SM Tactical Squad, because of the in-game point difference.

Also, that Battle Sisters Squad is less than $1 per point.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Thumbs down

I like the Succubus and agree, EldarGal, the hairline c'est ne bonne pas. Definitely needs a head swap.

As for the beasts and the Beastmaster? Naff. Not a fan on the Beastmaster's helmet or musculature (seems too heavy set). The skyboard looks chunky and clunky to me. The Clawed Fiend is clown shoes. I think I will take another leaf from Eldargal's book and convert some Nid models (if I can ever be fussed to field Beastmasters).
    The Razorwings are very disappointing and lazily sculpted - why not sculpt a raptor attacking with claws outstretched? Or with wings folded back into a dive position? Or wings flapping forward to slash at an enemy? Boring boring boring and VERY disappointing.
    The Khymerae are the best of the bunch. Contrary to another poster here, I think they'll be relatively easy to paint - basecoat the musculature with Mechrite red, go over with red gore and drybrush with blood red, then use a 1:3 Badab Black/Baal red mix to wash it, getting the wash into the crenulations, then when dry highlight again with blood red, then top highlights with blazing orange and slap on a Baal red wash to finish it. Should work a treat.

Anyway, if I ever did field Beastmasters, the Khymerae would be the only miniatures here I would consider purchasing. £81.40 for a Beastmaster, A Clawed Fiend, 2 Razorwing bases and 5 Khymerae, frankly Games Workshop, is seriously 'extracting the urine'. I predict this line to be an absolute wash-out.

VERY DISAPPOINTED (I suppose would be the krux of this post...)

Five coats of paint and two washes (one of which is a mix) is relatively easy?

Anyway, the models are nice.....the price, not so much.

$288 for a unit of 5 (identical) Beastmasters, 10 Khymeras and 6 Razorwing Flocks is insane, even for GW.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast