BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Dark Eldar!

Chapter-Master

For those that like that clawed fiend, and are interested in more than one but with a different sculpt, I found this from Zenit miniatures:

[url]http://zenitminiatures.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=101[/url]

I think they'd look nice side by size. A bit different, but cool.

Chaplain

I'm happy with the look of the minis, except the Beastmaster head and maybe the Razorwing Flocks. I think that with a different paint job, the head might be better, I guess I'll just have to take a look at one and decide for myself.

I am disappointed about the pricing (as in buying them) of the unit, however. All of the complaints about this unit are familiar as I collect Necrons. Pariahs and Immortals are just like this unit where you buy blisters of 1 to collect a unit. Pariahs and Immortals cost $140 for a full squad of ten before the 9.75% sales tax here in Southern California. If one wants a full Beastmaster Pack of Razorwings, Clawed Fiends and Khymerae (11 models) it will cost one $161.75 before tax, in other words just a little bit more than the Necron units mentioned previously per model.

I cannot see GW pricing Imperial units (outside of Forge World) in such a way. Hopefully when the new Necron codex comes out the units won't continue to be priced in this way.

Khymerae are definitely a lot better than the old Warp Beasts. They finally got that idea right!! With Wych bits, the Succubus is sure to be awesome. It will go along with my old Lelith Hesperax mini as my Ynnitach.

Brother-Sergeant

It would appear that the Succubus is armed with an electrocorrosive whip. Interesting.
    I agree with eldargal that the hairline is too far back, which is unfortunate.
    I have no idea what the blade in her left hand is supposed to represent (PW? Venom Blade? Generic CCW?), but it's exactly what I've been looking for for my Dark Elf lord conversion.
    Personally, I like the Beastmaster head; I just wish that there were variants for each one of the beasts like the fluff states.

The beastmaster and succubus suffer from Plastic Alternative Syndrome. The beastmaster would make a good wrack champion or haemonculus though.

The beasts suffer from generic monster syndrome. Not special enough to justify the metal price tag. I'll get some razorwings as there are few alternatives but otherwise will generally stick with plastic conversions.

These prices are ridiculous!

Honestly, I'd just use Vampire Count Dire Wolves (with some Nid bits) as Kymeras and Island of Blood Rat Ogres as Clawed Fiends.

Librarian

I'm certainly going to buy the Succubus, just so I can make a whole caste of Wyches, from Lelith on down the line.

The Beastmaster looks really cool, and so I'll get one of him, but any other Beastmasters I have in a squad will be converted from Hellions. Cheaper and easier. This will at least ensure that the Beastmaster with the Agoniser will stand out.

The Beasts... I do really love the Khymerae and Razorwing Flocks, so I wouldn't mind paying the price for what I need from them, especially since there's no great alternative for the Razorwing, but the Clawed Fiend is highly 'meh'. For one, I don't see a need for too many of them in a squad, but even two will start to look very same-y very fast. Razorwings can at least be arranged on the stand differently, and Khymerae have two models with parts that, probably, could be interchanged a little, but the Clawed Fiend is a one-trick pony that if you want more than 1 of, things start getting very boring.

All in all, quite happy with what I'm seeing.

But where/s the Venom, the Scourges, the Talos? I thought at LEAST we'd be seeing the Venom too!!

Brother-Captain

There's still another wave of DE coming after this. GW decided to release these models early, in part because DE have been selling better than expected.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck777 View Post
    These prices are ridiculous!

Honestly, I'd just use Vampire Count Dire Wolves (with some Nid bits) as Kymeras and Island of Blood Rat Ogres as Clawed Fiends.
    Has anyone looked to convert some LoTR Wargs for this purpose as well?

Brother-Sergeant

I think the Succubus needs a more interesting paintjob than just black to bring out it's potential.

I personnally like the Beastmaster though I would just have the one and convert up extras.

I like all the beasts though think the clawed fiend needs bigger claws!

Quote Originally Posted by somerandomdude View Post
    The efficient build of 3 BM, 5 Khymerae, and 4 Flocks (156 points) is $165 US.

More than $1 per point. Could you imagine paying ~$200 for a Tactical Squad? Or how about Terminators?
    This is funny. You know that there are currently existing armies that pay 123.65 US dollars for a squad and transport right? Sisters pay that much for there main troops, heavy weapon, spec weapon, and the sister superior and the rhino. If paid for a full size squad of 20 about 17 dollars more with no Rhino.

With their base sizxe and what not you are getting more metal for your price I'm sure. When I played daemons I paid rougjly 100 dollars US for 6 fiends.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast